what to do ?

More
30 May 2016 08:13 - 30 May 2016 08:16 #729210 by zirafin
Replied by zirafin on topic what to do ?
halo
so i am still waiting for the parts. but still i have time to make my own paper seat for may future project on kz550 its only left to go to metalworkers :D and explain it after adjust ,re cut ,to fit nice and then paint .

Attachment IMAG1469.jpg not found

Attachment IMAG1472.jpg not found

Attachment IMAG1470.jpg not found

Attachments:
Last edit: 30 May 2016 08:16 by zirafin.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Jun 2016 07:10 #729815 by zirafin
halo
today i get shims from germany , i install them and after all valve clearance was: ex all 4 - 0.20mm .IN all 4- 0.15 mm

i start the engine and on choke on all 4 cylinder are working and water test is good. but throttle grip is not working ;( so i tace carburator repair kit change all jets and other parts . but its same not working throttle grip next weak try to get compression tester ( my was broken) after i use on hot engine first cylinder was 145 psi o the second is have broken ,the rubber in the end just melt and rip. but i fink its will be good compression in all cylinders. so wat next wat u fink can be ????? fire timing ??? i do not know wat to do i start to fink i spend to mach euro for this kawasaky .

• The_Proletariat
  • User
  • "Cocaine is a hell of a drug"
More
03 Jun 2016 10:54 #729845 by The_Proletariat
Replied by The_Proletariat on topic what to do ?

zirafin wrote: halo
today i get shims from germany , i install them and after all valve clearance was: ex all 4 - 0.20mm .IN all 4- 0.15 mm

i start the engine and on choke on all 4 cylinder are working and water test is good. but throttle grip is not working ;( so i tace carburator repair kit change all jets and other parts . but its same not working throttle grip next weak try to get compression tester ( my was broken) after i use on hot engine first cylinder was 145 psi o the second is have broken ,the rubber in the end just melt and rip. but i fink its will be good compression in all cylinders. so wat next wat u fink can be ????? fire timing ??? i do not know wat to do i start to fink i spend to mach euro for this kawasaky .

The only time my 550 dies as soon as I move the throttle grip off idle is when the engine is very cold, or if it is running very lean.

Before you drill any jets, put the needle clip on the 3rd position and see if the throttle grip works.

1982 Kawasaki KZ550 LTD

More
03 Jun 2016 11:21 #729849 by zirafin
but if i use on 3 clip it will go more fuel ????
i will try it, thanks for advice.

• The_Proletariat
  • User
More
03 Jun 2016 11:26 #729851 by The_Proletariat

zirafin wrote: but if i use on 3 clip it will go more fuel ????
i will try it, thanks for advice.

Yes, this will add more fuel.

1982 Kawasaki KZ550 LTD

More
03 Jun 2016 11:28 #729852 by zirafin
and my petcoc is broken again . if use on PRi posicion i need to close vacum port in petcoc and from carburetor vacum line i need to close to>>???

• The_Proletariat
  • User
More
03 Jun 2016 11:41 - 03 Jun 2016 11:42 #729856 by The_Proletariat

zirafin wrote: and my petcoc is broken again . if use on PRi posicion i need to close vacum port in petcoc and from carburetor vacum line i need to close to>>???

Yes. Close/clog/plug the carburetor vacuum line. I filled in this port on carb #4 with epoxy (glue).

As long as this is done the petcock vacuum port can be left bare.

When you are not running the bike turn the petcock to "ON" to turn off fuel.

1982 Kawasaki KZ550 LTD
Last edit: 03 Jun 2016 11:42 by The_Proletariat.
The following user(s) said Thank You: zirafin

More
03 Jun 2016 11:49 #729858 by zirafin
so tomorrow its again carburetor disassembling .

i start to fink if i use pods instead of air box , its coming more air then fuel so maybe its will be good to put the needle clip on the 3rd position .

can u write how much air screw must be turn out if i change needle position. now i was using 2.5 turn out .

• The_Proletariat
  • User
More
03 Jun 2016 12:00 - 03 Jun 2016 12:01 #729860 by The_Proletariat

zirafin wrote: so tomorrow its again carburetor disassembling .

i start to fink if i use pods instead of air box , its coming more air then fuel so maybe its will be good to put the needle clip on the 3rd position .

can u write how much air screw must be turn out if i change needle position. now i was using 2.5 turn out .

Yes you need more fuel with pods.

2.5 turns out is far too much. You should range between 1 - 1.5 turns out. Turn in the air screw to add fuel.

Before you change the needle clip set the air screws to 1 turn out. See what happens.

1982 Kawasaki KZ550 LTD
Last edit: 03 Jun 2016 12:01 by The_Proletariat.

More
03 Jun 2016 12:04 #729862 by zirafin
ok i try 1 turn

More
04 Jun 2016 08:21 #730003 by zirafin
so 1 turn is same
and i change needle to 3 clip its same its lets little to use accelerator handle
its all in video and u can see if choke is on cylinder 4 is ok if choke off cylinder 4 is not working so i am back to firs my post iI have done nothing to get better...... not working cylinder 4 and throttle grip...

• The_Proletariat
  • User
More
04 Jun 2016 11:26 - 04 Jun 2016 11:32 #730021 by The_Proletariat

zirafin wrote: so 1 turn is same
and i change needle to 3 clip its same its lets little to use accelerator handle
its all in video and u can see if choke is on cylinder 4 is ok if choke off cylinder 4 is not working so i am back to firs my post iI have done nothing to get better...... not working cylinder 4 and throttle grip...

I have no sound on work computer so I can't comment on the video.

The compression tester you have (rubber tipped, held against spark plug hole) will not work on a hot engine as you discovered. To test hot compression you need a gauge with adapters that screw into the spark plug holes. I could not find one to rent with the proper adapter in my area.

Besides that, I am not sure what to check. You have ran quite a few tests. Maybe some more experienced members will have other ideas.

How warm is the engine before you use the throttle? How warm is the ambient temperature outside? My 550 will die with the throttle until it is at least somewhat warmed up. Do you have all the choke flaps? Are the vacuum ports on the carb holders plugged?

If I was you, I would leave needle clip at 3rd position, make a manometer and sync the carbs for equal vacuum and set air screws for highest idle and see what happens. These 550's run terrible if the carbs are out of sync and can give the appearance of a weak cylinder.

1982 Kawasaki KZ550 LTD
Last edit: 04 Jun 2016 11:32 by The_Proletariat.