carb tune help/procedure

More
20 Jul 2015 12:02 #681821 by KZB2 650
Replied by KZB2 650 on topic carb tune help/procedure
Hey Mission true on the checking but these are shim under the bucket so you need to remove the cams and not use the tool if one needs to be replaced.....

1978 KZ650 b-2
700cc Wiseco kit 10 to 1.
1980 KZ750 cam, ape springs, stock clutch/ Barnett springs.
Vance and Hines Header w/ comp baffle and Ape pods, Dyna S and green coils, copper wires.
29MM smooth bores W/ 17.5 pilots, 0-6s and 117.5 main
16/42 gearing X ring chain and alum rear JT sprocket.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Jul 2015 12:31 #681828 by missionkz
Replied by missionkz on topic carb tune help/procedure

KZB2 650 wrote: Hey Mission true on the checking but these are shim under the bucket so you need to remove the cams and not use the tool if one needs to be replaced.....

Ouch for a newbie. But checking the gap is still easy.

Bruce
1977 KZ1000A1
2016 Triumph T120 Bonneville
Far North East Metro Denver Colorado

More
20 Jul 2015 12:45 #681831 by blink543
Replied by blink543 on topic carb tune help/procedure

missionkz wrote: Blink543.... 25,000 miles is way too long to not check cam and shim clearances.
I used to check mine around every 4,000 to 6,000 miles.... seems like a short time but these are NOT cars.
However, did I miss something here or did you say you have what amounts to you either having no interest/willingness or desire to do the cam lobe/shim measurements? Or is it simply, just no experience and fear of the unknown,
Why? Because none of us here ever did it before the first time either!!!
And, after I did it once, I was quite amused to hear my friends say they were taking their bikes "in" to have it done!!
LOL
It turns out, the actual act of measuring is the stupidest easiest part!
The tricky part is slightly holding the valve open with a $10.00 gadget on the edge of the bucket, wedged in between it and the camshaft, while slipping the shim out with a pair of tweezers.
The maddening part to me has always been buying, ordering and waiting for the shims needed to replace the ones that are a tiny bit too thick now.... etc.
I can't speak for others but I've don't think I've ever had to replace a shim that was anymore then one or two sizes thinner then the number on the shim I pulled out..... unless the head had recently had new valves installed and or a valve grind job.
But you might not even know that so.... get a factory manual and read all about it. You'll quickly discover how simple checking lash is... then if you need more help... you are in the right place.

U don't have to take out the cams to switch out the shims? I'm pretty sure u do.

Adam james

More
20 Jul 2015 12:47 #681832 by blink543

missionkz wrote:

KZB2 650 wrote: Hey Mission true on the checking but these are shim under the bucket so you need to remove the cams and not use the tool if one needs to be replaced.....

I have the tool to check the gaps

Adam james

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
20 Jul 2015 12:56 #681835 by SWest

More
20 Jul 2015 13:05 #681838 by blink543

blink543 wrote:

missionkz wrote:

I have the tool to check the gaps

What number am I looking for as the right clearance. My clymer manual says 0.15mm

Adam james

More
20 Jul 2015 14:02 #681845 by blink543
Ok wtf I opened it up to find out the cam chain is skipping again I just fixed this a month ago with a newer tensioner it came out of alignment again

Adam james

More
20 Jul 2015 14:17 #681847 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic carb tune help/procedure
Yes.

blink543 wrote:

TexasKZ wrote: Typically, the gap gets smaller, sometimes less than zero. When the lash gets near or to zero cold, the cam can actually hold the valve open slightly when it is supposed to be closed. Under these conditions, the performance of the engine will slowly deteriorate, ultimately to a point at which it will not run. Often, valves and seats get burned, which can be expensive to fix.
It is not a terribly complicated or expensive procedure, and it may help your present difficulties, though I doubt if this is the only problem. It may also save you money later.

blink543 wrote:

TexasKZ wrote: By the way, 25,000 miles without checking the valve lash is much too long. That could be the main problem.

Yes maybe but it's not like I'm never going to do it probably later this yr or next spring. What symptoms would I be experiencing if they needed adjusting? I mean I do hear the cams hitting the buckets a little but I think that's normal.

0 as in the opposite of the lobe actually touching the bucket when it's not supposed to? Is that what I'm understanding?

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

More
20 Jul 2015 14:21 #681849 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic carb tune help/procedure
WOW! Are you absolutely sure? With a new tensioner and useable rubbing blocks, that is almost impossible. What makes you think there is a problem?

blink543 wrote: Ok wtf I opened it up to find out the cam chain is skipping again I just fixed this a month ago with a newer tensioner it came out of alignment again

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

More
20 Jul 2015 14:24 #681851 by blink543
:unsure:

TexasKZ wrote: WOW! Are you absolutely sure? With a new tensioner and useable rubbing blocks, that is almost impossible. What makes you think there is a problem?

blink543 wrote: Ok wtf I opened it up to find out the cam chain is skipping again I just fixed this a month ago with a newer tensioner it came out of alignment again

When I rotated the engine the marking at the timing cover doesn't line up with the cam shaft marks. Its slightly off. The chain is skipping again it didn't do that after I had realigned the cams and everything

Adam james

More
20 Jul 2015 14:26 #681852 by blink543

This is what I have for valve clearances? If there's nothing written then that means a .008 didn't fit between. So if there's a smaller gap than that isn't that bad?

Adam james
Attachments:

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
20 Jul 2015 14:30 #681853 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic carb tune help/procedure
This has drifted from carbs to cams and valve clearances. Time to start another thread.
Steve