carb tune help/procedure

More
16 Jul 2015 10:55 #681136 by blink543
carb tune help/procedure was created by blink543
I've been wondering why when I accelerate its kinda laggy and kinda sounds boggy when I open it all the way up.I was told it's probably the carbs. I've tuned them before but I probably did more bad than good. The gauges I used were in inches hg not cm hg like noted in the manual. I went online and converted the cm needed to inches and it said a little over 8 inches hg. So I did that but it's hard to keep it from revving and dealing with the idle screw too. What's the procedure in trying to balance them? Do I go in order carb 1-4?

Adam james

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Jul 2015 12:05 - 16 Jul 2015 12:08 #681139 by rctreadaway
Replied by rctreadaway on topic carb tune help/procedure
I would try bench syncing them first if you're having that much trouble. The main thing isn't the number, but that they're all even and moving together as closely as possible. i used a light looking through the carb and adjusted them down one at a time until the light was all but gone. Then put them on the bike and set the idle. It doesn't matter what order unless you have a lead carb. That would be the one without an adjuster. Just depends on your carbs. Mine all had adjusters so I just made sure they were all even.

I would check to make sure you're also getting good spark as well. The plugs in my bike were starting to foul when i purchased it.

1980 KZ1000 LTD -
CR Special Carbs/Kerker Exhaust/K&N Pods/Dyna Ign
'09 ZX6R Controls/Rearsets
'06 GSXR1000 Suspension (to be installed)
Last edit: 16 Jul 2015 12:08 by rctreadaway.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
16 Jul 2015 12:56 #681144 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic carb tune help/procedure
Chose one carb to be the lead carb and make to others the same as that one.
Steve

More
16 Jul 2015 15:13 - 16 Jul 2015 15:14 #681155 by Zephyrrider
Replied by Zephyrrider on topic carb tune help/procedure
blink - do not bother with the actual readings -
try and get them all within + or - 2 cmhg of each other (may be slightly different to mine )
what model is yours ?
What kind of manometers are you using ?

Mick
1994 ZR750 Zephyr C4.
Last edit: 16 Jul 2015 15:14 by Zephyrrider.

More
16 Jul 2015 18:44 #681185 by blink543
Replied by blink543 on topic carb tune help/procedure

rctreadaway wrote: I would try bench syncing them first if you're having that much trouble. The main thing isn't the number, but that they're all even and moving together as closely as possible. i used a light looking through the carb and adjusted them down one at a time until the light was all but gone. Then put them on the bike and set the idle. It doesn't matter what order unless you have a lead carb. That would be the one without an adjuster. Just depends on your carbs. Mine all had adjusters so I just made sure they were all even.

I would check to make sure you're also getting good spark as well. The plugs in my bike were starting to foul when i purchased it.

I forgot to mention it's a 78 kz650b. I adjust them by turning the air screw on top of the carbs? They're minuki carbs or however u say it.

Adam james

More
16 Jul 2015 18:45 #681186 by blink543

Zephyrrider wrote: blink - do not bother with the actual readings -
try and get them all within + or - 2 cmhg of each other (may be slightly different to mine )
what model is yours ?
What kind of manometers are you using ?

A 78 kz650b. I was using vacuum gauges inches hg not cm hg

Adam james

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
16 Jul 2015 18:46 #681187 by SWest

More
16 Jul 2015 18:49 #681189 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic carb tune help/procedure

blink543 wrote:

rctreadaway wrote: I would try bench syncing them first if you're having that much trouble. The main thing isn't the number, but that they're all even and moving together as closely as possible. i used a light looking through the carb and adjusted them down one at a time until the light was all but gone. Then put them on the bike and set the idle. It doesn't matter what order unless you have a lead carb. That would be the one without an adjuster. Just depends on your carbs. Mine all had adjusters so I just made sure they were all even.

I forgot to mention it's a 78 kz650b. I adjust them by turning the air screw on top of the carbs? They're minuki carbs or however u say it.

? :blink: ? If you have a manual go back and re-read through the section on synchronizing the carbs. You do NOT fiddle with the air screws to synchronize the carbs. The air screws have nothing whatsoever to do with carb synchronization. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
16 Jul 2015 19:13 #681194 by blink543

650ed wrote:

blink543 wrote:

? :blink: ? If you have a manual go back and re-read through the section on synchronizing the carbs. You do NOT fiddle with the air screws to synchronize the carbs. The air screws have nothing whatsoever to do with carb synchronization. Ed

They do. In the manual it says it's supposed to mess with the air to fuel mix. Then what does it do

Adam james

More
16 Jul 2015 19:26 #681196 by blink543

650ed wrote:

blink543 wrote:

Adam james

More
16 Jul 2015 19:50 - 16 Jul 2015 20:38 #681207 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic carb tune help/procedure

blink543 wrote:

650ed wrote:

They do. In the manual it says it's supposed to mess with the air to fuel mix. Then what does it do

What manual are you using?? If it say to sync the carbs you are "supposed to mess with the air to fuel mix" throw the manual away and buy Kawasaki Service Manual. You do NOT fiddle with the air/fuel mixture to synchronize the carbs. You DO adjust the individual throttle adjusting screws to synchronize the carbs. However, if you have gotten the air screws out of adjustment by fiddling with them you will first need to undo whatever it is you did to them. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Last edit: 16 Jul 2015 20:38 by 650ed.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
16 Jul 2015 20:08 #681213 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic carb tune help/procedure
I'm going to sync my carbs soon. I'll do a thread on it. In the mean time get a manual.
Steve