carb tune help/procedure

More
18 Jul 2015 15:13 #681537 by blink543
Replied by blink543 on topic carb tune help/procedure

TexasKZ wrote: I doubt if anybody around here would have said this already, so here goes :blink:

Unless you have owned this motorcycle since the day it first rolled out of the dealership AND you have done all the maintenance and repairs yourself, there is no way to know with certainty what has been done or left undone.

Get a genuine Kawasaki Heavy Industries Factory Service Manual. Not Clymer's, not Uncle Bob's, the real deal from Kawasaki.

Read it. Yes, the whole thing.

Then go to the chapter on Routine Maintenance. Perform each and every procedure exactly as listed in the order listed.

If problems remain, they will be much easier to diagnose.

All the ones I've seen are really really used. Where can I find it

Adam james

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Jul 2015 15:17 #681539 by blink543

KZB2 650 wrote: By looking at your 3 weeks of posts and problems........Did you ever replace the battery ?
How about the tentioner bolt and make sure cams are correct? Did you adjust the clutch by the manual.
Is the bike stock....... header, stock air box with good filter? Size of jets.
You were syncing the carbs right maybe just need to get em closer............ pilot screw we were talking about "maybe" not messing with but could be off if they were removed to clean or in the past.

Yes new shiney battery. Has way better power thru the wires now. I checked the timing that's all good. Cam tensioner I replaced and the cams are lined up bike is stock mostly. Stock air box clutch is all adjusted, new friction plates and springs. Only problem I'm having is top speed. I change gears at maybe like 6000 rpm and the fastest I've gone according to my bouncy gauges is 80mph. The gauges are having problems. It's not the cables that's for sure

Adam james
The following user(s) said Thank You: KZB2 650

More
18 Jul 2015 18:31 #681562 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic carb tune help/procedure
Really used can be ok if it is readable and the price is ok. Where to find-- fleebay, garage sale, flea market, maybe a local shop has a spare they'd sell. Dealership may be able to order one, but the price will be steep. Somebody around here might have an electronic copy, or perhaps even a hard copy. Are there any used bookstores in your area that carry service manuals? It may take lots of hunting and patience (was that redundant?), but they do surface now and then.

blink543 wrote:

TexasKZ wrote: I doubt if anybody around here would have said this already, so here goes :blink:

Unless you have owned this motorcycle since the day it first rolled out of the dealership AND you have done all the maintenance and repairs yourself, there is no way to know with certainty what has been done or left undone.

Get a genuine Kawasaki Heavy Industries Factory Service Manual. Not Clymer's, not Uncle Bob's, the real deal from Kawasaki.

Read it. Yes, the whole thing.

Then go to the chapter on Routine Maintenance. Perform each and every procedure exactly as listed in the order listed.

If problems remain, they will be much easier to diagnose.

All the ones I've seen are really really used. Where can I find it

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
18 Jul 2015 18:40 #681564 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic carb tune help/procedure
Is there some reason for not posting a pic of the bike?
Steve

More
18 Jul 2015 18:46 #681565 by TexasKZ
I did not see valve lash check or new air filter on your list. What sort of exhaust system is on the bike? In top gear, what rpm do you get at 80ish?

More
18 Jul 2015 22:47 #681584 by blink543

swest wrote: Is there some reason for not posting a pic of the bike?
Steve

Cuz I was at work

Adam james

More
18 Jul 2015 22:51 #681585 by blink543

TexasKZ wrote: I did not see valve lash check or new air filter on your list. What sort of exhaust system is on the bike? In top gear, what rpm do you get at 80ish?

Filter is ok I think, I haven't checked the valves and don't really feel like checking them soon. The bike has like 25000 miles on it, in 5th Idk what rpm. Like I said the gauges bounce around. So it's relative.

Adam james

More
18 Jul 2015 22:56 #681586 by blink543
It's a Vance and heins megaphone exhaust.

Adam james

More
19 Jul 2015 01:23 #681597 by blink543
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationIs this the manual I need?

Adam james

More
19 Jul 2015 05:39 #681601 by TexasKZ
That manual is published by Haynes and may be even less informative than the Clymer. Sorry.

More
19 Jul 2015 05:41 #681602 by TexasKZ
Does your exhaust have a baffle in it, or is it a straight, wide open pipe? Just trying to eliminate possibilities....

More
19 Jul 2015 05:45 #681603 by TexasKZ
By the way, 25,000 miles without checking the valve lash is much too long. That could be the main problem.