Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Rebuilding a KZ -- don't use Pit Stop Performance 12 Oct 2014 05:42 #650445

• autotech2@tx.rr.com
  • autotech2@tx.rr.com's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
If that's the case you can go with over-sized valves on the original seats.

I just meant move on with repairing the problem correctly. Getting too aggravated just makes it worse. Let me know what response you get when requesting a refund.
The topic has been locked.

Rebuilding a KZ -- don't use Pit Stop Performance 12 Oct 2014 10:49 #650474

• zed1015
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1468

KawC2 wrote:

zed1015 wrote: Looks like some of the seats have been cut quite a bit off centre .
Put some marker on the seats and rotate the valves on them.
I bet the marker only gets rubbed in one spot.

Thanks for noticing. I've done the black marker and your right, only a few spots rub off. The cut on #4 intake is almost up and down. You can see the lapping mark in the combustion chamber is almost off the cut. The #4 intake valve lapping mark is so close to the edge of the valve it's going to be on the side before I get it lapped in. Way to go PSP!!!!!!!!!! for doing such a good job taking my money and returning a slab of aluminum. The seat is cut so large I don't think I can do anything about it.[/quote]

Yes! they do look to be un-salvageable.
If you are VERY lucky you may get away with cutting them wider for bigger valves but from what I can see they are borderline for that and the only fix would be to fit new seats which isn't that big a job for an engine shop.

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

Rebuilding a KZ -- don't use Pit Stop Performance 12 Oct 2014 11:21 #650480

• KawC2
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1

zed1015 wrote:

KawC2 wrote:

zed1015 wrote: Looks like some of the seats have been cut quite a bit off centre .
Put some marker on the seats and rotate the valves on them.
I bet the marker only gets rubbed in one spot.

Thanks for noticing. I've done the black marker and your right, only a few spots rub off. The cut on #4 intake is almost up and down. You can see the lapping mark in the combustion chamber is almost off the cut. The #4 intake valve lapping mark is so close to the edge of the valve it's going to be on the side before I get it lapped in. Way to go PSP!!!!!!!!!! for doing such a good job taking my money and returning a slab of aluminum. The seat is cut so large I don't think I can do anything about it.[/quote]

If you are VERY lucky you may get away with cutting them wider for bigger valves but from what I can see they are borderline for that and the only fix would be to fit new seats which isn't that big a job for an engine shop.

There is a engine shop about a mile from me. I will take the head over to him and see what he can do for me. Thanks for the info.

Rebuilding a KZ -- don't use Pit Stop Performance 12 Oct 2014 11:26 #650481

• KawC2
  • User

autotech2@tx.rr.com wrote: If that's the case you can go with over-sized valves on the original seats.

I just meant move on with repairing the problem correctly. Getting too aggravated just makes it worse. Let me know what response you get when requesting a refund.

I emailed JOE at PSP the pics of all the fine work he did, He might want to hang it on the wall. I'm waiting for a reply.

Rebuilding a KZ -- don't use Pit Stop Performance 12 Oct 2014 12:18 #650483

• autotech2@tx.rr.com
  • User

Thanks zed1015. Replacing the damaged seats is another option. You should be able to save the head.

Rebuilding a KZ -- don't use Pit Stop Performance 13 Oct 2014 15:14 #650581

• autotech2@tx.rr.com
  • User

I emailed JOE at PSP the pics of all the fine work he did, He might want to hang it on the wall. I'm waiting for a reply.

Any response on the pics?

Rebuilding a KZ -- don't use Pit Stop Performance 13 Oct 2014 19:44 #650597

• KawC2
  • User

autotech2@tx.rr.com wrote:

Any response on the pics?

I got a response Today. JOE wants me to ship the head back to him for inspection. He did state that if he did anything incorrectly he will fix it. Also stated that it DOES NOT NEED NEW SEATS.

So I'll pack it up and send it to him for inspection. Would of been nice for JOE to pay for shipping. If I get it fixed at all, will mean that I wont be out any more money for something that I payed for in the beginning. All I can say is this would of never happened if the work was done RIGHT to begin with.

I'm an Electrician and can NOT do half hazardly work or someone could die. I think if your skills are not up to par in your field of work, by all means let someone else do the work that are more qualified.
Last edit: by KawC2.

Rebuilding a KZ -- don't use Pit Stop Performance 13 Oct 2014 20:32 #650601

• 4TheKZ1000
  • Visitor
Joe has done 100's of KZ heads? It makes no sense.

I looked at the pics you posted of the head, It did look like the seats were scary incorrect.

I hope you can find some monetary relief from Joe.

good luck

Rebuilding a KZ -- don't use Pit Stop Performance 13 Oct 2014 21:38 #650607

• autotech2@tx.rr.com
  • User
I guess a refund was out of the question.

I know that, along with everything else, the valve seats on my engine were cut wrong more than two years ago. And I have a strong feeling there were a bunch more between yours and mine. I bet some folks are riding around with a loss of compression not even realizing there's a problem.

All I can say is test again for leaks when the head returns. And again, put a straight edge on the deck, clear all the oil passages, and re-paint.

Good luck.
Last edit: by autotech2@tx.rr.com.

Rebuilding a KZ -- don't use Pit Stop Performance 18 Oct 2014 17:38 #651062

• KawC2
  • User

4TheKZ1000 wrote: Joe has done 100's of KZ heads? It makes no sense.

I looked at the pics you posted of the head, It did look like the seats were scary incorrect.

I hope you can find some monetary relief from Joe.

good luck

That's why i sent the head to JOE because of the reviews. I have no Idea why all of a sudden things went South for quality control. When i filled the chambers with MS with-in 5 mins all the MS was gone from all the chambers, #3 leaked out as fast as i poured it in. #4 valves were cut so bad it hurt to look at such poor workmanship. I belive I could of done it better with a round file.

I'll be the first to post if things get fix (right) and not patched-up and sent back. I've been out of town. I sent the package to JOE on the 14th Tuesday before i went out of town and was to be delivered on Friday. Well I back home now and i see that the package can't be delivered because no one was there to accept the package, closed is why it could not be delivered. Is JOE closed on Fridays??

Rebuilding a KZ -- don't use Pit Stop Performance 02 Nov 2014 06:14 #652581

• KawC2
  • User
Well.....got the head back from PSP. Do you see anything wrong?? Look at how far the seats/valves were off. I don't know if i should run it or not? i still need to remove the valves and replace the valve springs.

Attachment 95After.jpg not found

Attachment 96.jpg not found

Attachment 97.jpg not found

Attachment 98.jpg not found

Attachment 99.jpg not found

Attachment 100.jpg not found

Attachment 101.jpg not found

Attachment 102.jpg not found

Attachment 103.jpg not found

Attachment 104.jpg not found

Attachment 106last.jpg not found

Attachment 105.jpg not found

Attachments:

Rebuilding a KZ -- don't use Pit Stop Performance 02 Nov 2014 07:46 #652592

• 4TheKZ1000
  • Visitor
So there was a problem with the head you sent back to Joe?

Did Joe explain why the valves and seats needed or were redone?

On inspection of new valve job, It looks like to me that the valve or seat are incorrect. I could be wrong.

The valve face center should sit on the center of the seat, it looks like the valve face is meeting the center of seat at the very top or tip of the valve face? Called sunken valve.

Did Joe have to grind on the valve stem retainers to get proper valve clearance?

I would get some advice from a expert first.
Last edit: by 4TheKZ1000.