Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Rebuilding a KZ -- don't use Pit Stop Performance 13 Oct 2014 21:38 #650607

• autotech2@tx.rr.com
  • autotech2@tx.rr.com's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
I guess a refund was out of the question.

I know that, along with everything else, the valve seats on my engine were cut wrong more than two years ago. And I have a strong feeling there were a bunch more between yours and mine. I bet some folks are riding around with a loss of compression not even realizing there's a problem.

All I can say is test again for leaks when the head returns. And again, put a straight edge on the deck, clear all the oil passages, and re-paint.

Good luck.
Last edit: by autotech2@tx.rr.com.
The topic has been locked.

Rebuilding a KZ -- don't use Pit Stop Performance 18 Oct 2014 17:38 #651062

• KawC2
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1

4TheKZ1000 wrote: Joe has done 100's of KZ heads? It makes no sense.

I looked at the pics you posted of the head, It did look like the seats were scary incorrect.

I hope you can find some monetary relief from Joe.

good luck

That's why i sent the head to JOE because of the reviews. I have no Idea why all of a sudden things went South for quality control. When i filled the chambers with MS with-in 5 mins all the MS was gone from all the chambers, #3 leaked out as fast as i poured it in. #4 valves were cut so bad it hurt to look at such poor workmanship. I belive I could of done it better with a round file.

I'll be the first to post if things get fix (right) and not patched-up and sent back. I've been out of town. I sent the package to JOE on the 14th Tuesday before i went out of town and was to be delivered on Friday. Well I back home now and i see that the package can't be delivered because no one was there to accept the package, closed is why it could not be delivered. Is JOE closed on Fridays??

Rebuilding a KZ -- don't use Pit Stop Performance 02 Nov 2014 06:14 #652581

• KawC2
  • User
Well.....got the head back from PSP. Do you see anything wrong?? Look at how far the seats/valves were off. I don't know if i should run it or not? i still need to remove the valves and replace the valve springs.

Attachment 95After.jpg not found

Attachment 96.jpg not found

Attachment 97.jpg not found

Attachment 98.jpg not found

Attachment 99.jpg not found

Attachment 100.jpg not found

Attachment 101.jpg not found

Attachment 102.jpg not found

Attachment 103.jpg not found

Attachment 104.jpg not found

Attachment 106last.jpg not found

Attachment 105.jpg not found

Attachments:

Rebuilding a KZ -- don't use Pit Stop Performance 02 Nov 2014 07:46 #652592

• 4TheKZ1000
  • Visitor
So there was a problem with the head you sent back to Joe?

Did Joe explain why the valves and seats needed or were redone?

On inspection of new valve job, It looks like to me that the valve or seat are incorrect. I could be wrong.

The valve face center should sit on the center of the seat, it looks like the valve face is meeting the center of seat at the very top or tip of the valve face? Called sunken valve.

Did Joe have to grind on the valve stem retainers to get proper valve clearance?

I would get some advice from a expert first.
Last edit: by 4TheKZ1000.

Rebuilding a KZ -- don't use Pit Stop Performance 02 Nov 2014 07:47 #652594

• LarryC
  • User
  • Thank you received: 309

650ed wrote: Maybe Larry has a solution? Ed

never mind.... I see now that the head was returned for rework..
Larry C.
Last edit: by LarryC.

Rebuilding a KZ -- don't use Pit Stop Performance 02 Nov 2014 08:05 #652597

• LarryC
  • User

KawC2 wrote: Well.....got the head back from PSP. Do you see anything wrong?? Look at how far the seats/valves were off. I don't know if i should run it or not? i still need to remove the valves and replace the valve springs.

If it was my circus.....which it is not... I would throw those valves in the garbage and install new ones. They're sunk too deep for good flow. Did you not want to buy new valves?
Larry C.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PLUMMEN

Rebuilding a KZ -- don't use Pit Stop Performance 02 Nov 2014 08:10 #652599

• KawC2
  • User

4TheKZ1000 wrote: So there was a problem with the head you sent back to Joe?

Did Joe explain why the valves and seats needed or were redone?

On inspection of new valve job, It looks like to me that the valve or seat are incorrect. I could be wrong.

The valve face center should sit on the center of the seat, it looks like the valve face is meeting the center of seat at the very top or tip of the valve face? Called sunken valve.

Did Joe have to grind on the valve stem retainers to get proper valve clearance?

I would get some advice from a expert first.

No...there was just the head in a box. I knew as soon as i opened the box and saw the head it wasn't right. I'll be broke if i have to keep sending the head back to PSP. I guess he knows that, and just did a little patch work and sent it back. I'm getting PO after this POS he sent back and expected me to just be happy with it. Does the man(JOE) expect me to try and use this and run a chance of doing damage to my freshly bored with new pistons engine. All I wanted was a good, complete valve job. Now is that too much to ask (payed) for from him???? Now I'm out shipping to get it back in the same, but, worst shape.

Rebuilding a KZ -- don't use Pit Stop Performance 02 Nov 2014 08:14 #652601

• KawC2
  • User

LarryC wrote:

KawC2 wrote: Well.....got the head back from PSP. Do you see anything wrong?? Look at how far the seats/valves were off. I don't know if i should run it or not? i still need to remove the valves and replace the valve springs.

If it was my circus.....which it is not... I would throw those valves in the garbage and install new ones. They're sunk too deep for good flow. Did you not want to buy new valves?

That was up to PSP so I guess he decided that he didn't want to purchase new valves. Just like it didn't need new seats. So to answer your question yes, i would have.
Last edit: by KawC2.

Rebuilding a KZ -- don't use Pit Stop Performance 02 Nov 2014 08:24 #652606

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2629
Oversized valves may do it but recutting the seats might cause more problems. I've never seen sunken valves like this on a rework. Is there a BAR you can report him to in his state? Did he even change the guides?
Crap!

Rebuilding a KZ -- don't use Pit Stop Performance 02 Nov 2014 08:26 #652608

• autotech2@tx.rr.com
  • autotech2@tx.rr.com's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
Had a strong feeling this would be the case. A machine shop doing the work for your local Kawi dealer would be a good place to go and have the work done correctly. Sending it back again doesn't make sense.

Rebuilding a KZ -- don't use Pit Stop Performance 02 Nov 2014 08:27 #652610

• KawC2
  • User
Well, JOE at PSP does NOT warranty his mess-ups (work) I guess it is OJT for some of his employes at my expence. I'm not done yet could someone tell me what options I have with this head or is it too far gone?????

Rebuilding a KZ -- don't use Pit Stop Performance 02 Nov 2014 08:28 #652611

• LarryC
  • User

KawC2 wrote:

LarryC wrote:

That was up to PSP so I guess he decided that he didn't want to purchase new valves. Just like it didn't need new seats. So to answer your question yes, i would have.

You didn't need new seats and those valves will work but new valves would have been better.

Its a rare situation that I don't install all new valves in KZ head when it comes in. It adds about $235 to the job for 8 new APE stainless valves. You can get cheaper aftermarket valves though...

NOTE - if you do that now and if the lash has been set, you're going to have to redo the lash.

The IMPORTANT thing is that the work was stood behind....just as I thought it would be. So if you're happy now how about having the negative threads removed by the mods...
Larry C.
Last edit: by LarryC.