Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Rebuilding a KZ -- don't use Pit Stop Performance 03 Nov 2014 08:33 #652749

• KawC2
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1

swest wrote: I know how that is. Mine sat under a tree for 15 years. In the dester it's not so bad. I started in Nov. 11, polished, painted and did things I could do with little or no money. In12 I had it running but needed internals, still no money. 06/13 I finally had enough to buy what I needed from Z1. Piston shot, another $500 for pistons, they don't make cast anymore. Valve train still needed redoing but had to wait. Runs great but fouling plugs and springs tired. Now I'm ready.
You know, it's a crime to use the mail to defraud. You might check into that as well. And yes, there are people that sit and bash others work just for the hell of it. I have a special place in my heart just for them. So does the law.
Steve

I'm not trying to defraud anyone, just stating facts and get what I payed for and not be out any more money. I would never bash anyone unless need be. I need this problem solved in the worse way. I don't like it. But I don't have the money right now for a redo.

You are further along than I am. Mine looks good on the bench but would rather be finishing it up. I know your pain I just purchased new pistons and sent the jugs and new pistons to APE.
Last edit: by KawC2.
The topic has been locked.

Rebuilding a KZ -- don't use Pit Stop Performance 03 Nov 2014 09:16 #652754

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2829

LarryC wrote: ..........................IT'S BLUFF CALLING TIME , you ship it, pay for shipping both ways, buy the valves I tell you to buy and I'll fix it for free. Or if you are convinced it's junk, I'll give you $50 for it and pay the shipping... :P

Now...there you go. Put the cards on the table cause this poker game is over... I CALL.. :)

I think that is an extremely generous offer, and if it was my cylinder head I would ship it TODAY along with the recommended valves! Where else can you expect to have the work done correctly with zero cost for labor? For whatever reason, it doesn't appear that Joe is going to do the work to your satisfaction, but I have no doubts at all that Larry would. Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Street Fighter LTD

Rebuilding a KZ -- don't use Pit Stop Performance 03 Nov 2014 09:49 #652760

• KawC2
  • User

650ed wrote:

LarryC wrote: ..........................IT'S BLUFF CALLING TIME , you ship it, pay for shipping both ways, buy the valves I tell you to buy and I'll fix it for free. Or if you are convinced it's junk, I'll give you $50 for it and pay the shipping... :P

Now...there you go. Put the cards on the table cause this poker game is over... I CALL.. :)

I think that is an extremely generous offer, and if it was my cylinder head I would ship it TODAY along with the recommended valves! Where else can you expect to have the work done correctly with zero cost for labor? For whatever reason, it doesn't appear that Joe is going to do the work to your satisfaction, but I have no doubts at all that Larry would. Ed

I'll agree, 100%, but haven't any funds for a redo right now. I would have to save and then the offer would be off the table. So I'm stuck with what I have. Latter.

Rebuilding a KZ -- don't use Pit Stop Performance 03 Nov 2014 10:22 #652763

• KawC2
  • User
IT'S BLUFF CALLING TIME , you ship it, pay for shipping both ways, buy the valves I tell you to buy and I'll fix it for free. Or if you are convinced it's junk, I'll give you $50 for it and pay the shipping... :P

OK, Larry. What valves do i need and where to purchase? Do you have the valves at your shop? Give me your address and it will be on the way.

Thanks ED.

Let me know.

Rebuilding a KZ -- don't use Pit Stop Performance 03 Nov 2014 10:27 #652764

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
  • Thank you received: 1983

KawC2 wrote:

650ed wrote:

If Larry C. offered to redo my head for the cost of shipping and valves I would borrow the money if I had to , and take him up on this generous offer.
Been reading this thread , HOPING IT WOULD DIE A NATURAL DEATH
Kinda makes me miss DONTHAVEA KAWMAN
I'll agree, 100%, but haven't any funds for a redo right now. I would have to save and then the offer would be off the table. So I'm stuck with what I have. Latter.

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn

Rebuilding a KZ -- don't use Pit Stop Performance 03 Nov 2014 10:45 #652767

• KawC2
  • User
"If Larry C. offered to redo my head for the cost of shipping and valves I would borrow the money if I had to , and take him up on this generous offer."

I'm up for it and I did take out a loan just for this offer. So all i need is for Larry C. to let me know where to purchase the valves. Then I can pack everything up and get it on the way.

Rebuilding a KZ -- don't use Pit Stop Performance 03 Nov 2014 15:18 #652798

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
  • Thank you received: 1983

KawC2 wrote: "If Larry C. offered to redo my head for the cost of shipping and valves I would borrow the money if I had to , and take him up on this generous offer."

I'm up for it and I did take out a loan just for this offer. So all i need is for Larry C. to let me know where to purchase the valves. Then I can pack everything up and get it on the way.

So PM or call Larry C and move on.
Every other member here chimes in with advise to help other members as the questions are asked in the forums.
Lots of members have their favorite vendors and friends and tell the world their opinion as to who to use or not use. I for one would look you in the eye and tell you , If you hate Joe and his work then feel free to advise others not to use him ..........
But to have a post that Never ends is very tiring.. When all that is said is a drone like tune of Joe S-cks
I feel your pain , but a remedy is on the table.
Take It
Dave

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn

Rebuilding a KZ -- don't use Pit Stop Performance 03 Nov 2014 15:31 #652800

• autotech2@tx.rr.com
  • autotech2@tx.rr.com's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7

KawC2 wrote:

KawC2 wrote: I'm asking for a refund. This is unecceptable work. I'm trying to get a new to me head and I wont have it done by a back yard mech.

Didn't get any satifaction over the request. There was nothing wrong with the first valve job.

REALLY!!!

PSP stated there was nothing wrong with the first valve job???

Rebuilding a KZ -- don't use Pit Stop Performance 03 Nov 2014 16:41 #652803

• KawC2
  • User

Street Fighter LTD wrote:

KawC2 wrote: "If Larry C. offered to redo my head for the cost of shipping and valves I would borrow the money if I had to , and take him up on this generous offer."

So PM or call Larry C and move on.
Every other member here chimes in with advise to help other members as the questions are asked in the forums.
Lots of members have their favorite vendors and friends and tell the world their opinion as to who to use or not use. I for one would look you in the eye and tell you , If you hate Joe and his work then feel free to advise others not to use him ..........
But to have a post that Never ends is very tiring.. When all that is said is a drone like tune of Joe S-cks
I feel your pain , but a remedy is on the table.
Take It
Dave[/quote

I Have PMed Larry C. I have taken his offer. I just need Larry C. to tell me where and what to purchase so I can move on with my build because I would much rather be finishing up the bike. This will put me back on track and will be able to finish the long time build.

Thanks Dave.

Rebuilding a KZ -- don't use Pit Stop Performance 04 Nov 2014 02:40 #652831

• LarryC
  • User
  • Thank you received: 309
I have a 650 head that came in recently. The owner just purchased it. It was supposed to have been totally gone through with a fresh valve job. It's nice and clean, been freshly blasted, everything looks good appearance wise, on the surface.

I get the head apart, valves have been refaced and lapped in. Seats were very narrow. I checked the installed heights on the valves. None of them are less that 37.5mm installed height. So that puts things down at the 200 shim range. Nowhere to go. None of the valves were tipped by whoever did the valve job. Had the owner simply installed the head with his new Web 118 cams he would have ended up having to take it back off and get things sorted out..

FWIW the stock valves have .039" stem protruding above the keepers. The new KW intakes I have for it have .052" protruding above the keepers... Do you understand now that plays into the picture? .....

Another incident. Happened to me personally a few years back. I had spent considerable time doing up a head for my 1197 motor. Everything new, guides, valves, springs etc. All high performance parts. All aftermarket except for the spring cups.

1000 miles on the bike. The high performance valve springs took a dump. 7 out of 8 inner springs were all broken into multiple pieces. A couple of the outer springs were broken also. The bronze guides were all chewed up, one bent intake valve and I had to weld a bolt to #4 Intake tappet to get it out of the head. Was I pissed? What do you think???

I had to completely go through the head again, new guides, one new valve, touch up the valve job I had put so much time and effort into, but a bucket...etc., etc. etc. I used a different brand of springs that time.

WHAT I DID NOT DO WAS get on KZR and start bashing the company that made the springs. I sucked it up, called it lesson learned and carried on. Incidentally I received an email from a guy this week that had the same identical thing happen to a 650 this past summer....Same brand of springs... AND NO I'M NOT GOING TO NAME THE BRAND. And you likely won't see him bashing the company on the Internet either...

Things happen. That's just a fact of life. I quit posting on certain forum years ago over an issue I had with them posting a black list. I wans't on it but I sure as hell didn't agree with the concept. In fact myself and a few others who were against it voiced our feelings on the matter. They went so far as to do a survey of keep it or loose it. The majority wanted it kept there. I decided right then and there that place was more akin to the Jerry Springer show than a motorcycle forum and stopped visiting..

Those are my views...you may not agree and that's your right.
Larry C.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Street Fighter LTD
Last edit: by LarryC.

Rebuilding a KZ -- don't use Pit Stop Performance 04 Nov 2014 05:14 #652833

• 79MKII
  • User
  • Love Them Kaws!
  • Thank you received: 43

LarryC wrote: ...
Another incident. Happened to me personally a few years back. I had spent considerable time doing up a head for my 1197 motor. Everything new, guides, valves, springs etc. All high performance parts. All aftermarket except for the spring cups.

1000 miles on the bike. The high performance valve springs took a dump. 7 out of 8 inner springs were all broken into multiple pieces. A couple of the outer springs were broken also. The bronze guides were all chewed up, one bent intake valve and I had to weld a bolt to #4 Intake tappet to get it out of the head. Was I pissed? What do you think???

I had to completely go through the head again, new guides, one new valve, touch up the valve job I had put so much time and effort into, but a bucket...etc., etc. etc. I used a different brand of springs that time.

WHAT I DID NOT DO WAS get on KZR and start bashing the company that made the springs. I sucked it up, called it lesson learned and carried on. Incidentally I received an email from a guy this week that had the same identical thing happen to a 650 this past summer....Same brand of springs... AND NO I'M NOT GOING TO NAME THE BRAND. And you likely won't see him bashing the company on the Internet either...

If you had posted your experience somewhere, you might have saved that guy a lot of time, money and misery. I think that is the one advantage of tastefully expressing displeasure with sub-par service / parts.
The Kaw List:
Current: 79 KZ1000 A3 MKII, 78 KZ1000 A2, 78 KZ1000 Z1-R, 78 KZ650 SR, 80 KE175
Former: 03 KLX400SR, 99 ZRX1000, 82 KZ750 LTD, 80 KZ1000 A4 MKII, 80 KZ1000 LTD, 78 KZ1000 A2, 74 H-2 750 Triple, 78 KL250
Last edit: by 79MKII.

Rebuilding a KZ -- don't use Pit Stop Performance 04 Nov 2014 05:21 #652834

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2829
Here's the problem as I see it, feel free to disagree.

When there's a trend of poor quality control, i.e. if several rebuilders find that valve springs from a particular vendor have an unusually high failure rate, it would be good for the bike community to share that information so other could avoid buying inferior springs. BUT - what determines a trend? Any manufacturer may occasionally produce a bad spring. So what is the magic number that should be used before condemning a company, and who determines that number? If it is up to the individual who has a broken engine as a result of a bad spring the number probably is "1". But that may be the only bad spring the company has produced in 10 years, so is it fair to condemn?

What might be more fair would be to say what the company's reaction was when the problem was reported. I had a Pirelli tire begin to de-laminate after more than 2 years and 6,000 miles. I sent it to Pirelli (through the dealer) and much to my surprise they paid 100% of the cost of a new tire. Would I condemn or recommend Pirelli? I highly recommend them and have their tires on my bike today. Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)