Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Rebuilding a KZ -- don't use Pit Stop Performance 02 Nov 2014 08:33 #652612

• KawC2
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1

autotech2@tx.rr.com wrote: Had a strong feeling this would be the case. A machine shop doing the work for your local Kawi dealer would be a good place to go and have the work done correctly. Sending it back again doesn't make sense.

Yes, your right. I guess I'll try and get a good head and start over. MAN-O-MAN what a _ _ _ _ _ _ _ I took on this one. BEWARE of PSP (Pit Stop Peformance)who ever reads this.
The topic has been locked.

Rebuilding a KZ -- don't use Pit Stop Performance 02 Nov 2014 08:39 #652613

• autotech2@tx.rr.com
  • autotech2@tx.rr.com's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
I wouldn't trash the head before having a machinist look it over. Like Larry said, you may get away with new valves.

Don't remember if you were using OEM cams. If not, did he grind the keepers in order to clear the top of the valve stems. Wondering if it may be an issue getting close to the keeper grooves with the valves sunken that deep in the seats.
The following user(s) said Thank You: LarryC
Last edit: by autotech2@tx.rr.com.

Rebuilding a KZ -- don't use Pit Stop Performance 02 Nov 2014 09:11 #652619

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2629
That was my concern. Sunken like they are, there might be no adjustment left. I just bought some stock size valves on ebay. There are some stainless over-sized ones there but for my build, it's not necessary. Besides, if I want to really punch it out, I can re-cut and install the bigger valves. With the new valves, it should put me back in the mid range of adjustment. I have 215 - 225"s in there now. If I could have afforded it, I would have bought them and put them in my locker for future use. Have everything else. Sad to see this happen to him though. Sunken valves/ not acceptable!

Rebuilding a KZ -- don't use Pit Stop Performance 02 Nov 2014 09:22 #652620

• autotech2@tx.rr.com
  • autotech2@tx.rr.com's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7

The IMPORTANT thing is that the work was stood behind....just as I thought it would be. So if you're happy now how about having the negative threads removed by the mods...

Happy? Are we reading the same thread?

Rebuilding a KZ -- don't use Pit Stop Performance 02 Nov 2014 09:24 #652621

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
There are over sized stainless valves on ebay for a good price, sets of four. Just got a Kibblewhite spring kit for $63 and change, free shipping. Don't give up yet. If you can find a good head for around $200 plus shipping of course, well it might be a good thing. But if you can get the larger valves, the door is open for a larger bore in the future. Your choice.
Good luck
Steve

Rebuilding a KZ -- don't use Pit Stop Performance 02 Nov 2014 09:53 #652627

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
Look, maybe you did do something wrong, I don't know. But the way the valves were sunken suggests the shop made a mistake also. As long as the valves aren't over sized, installing some could fix the problem. Even allow more flow and a better cam set up. Take it to a shop, get their advice, if you find it sound, then decide whether a used head will be better for you or larger valves are. A used head is a unknown commodity. You might have to start over. I suspect that will be the case. PLS keep us up to date on the out come.
Steve

Rebuilding a KZ -- don't use Pit Stop Performance 02 Nov 2014 11:57 #652634

• LarryC
  • User
  • Thank you received: 309

autotech2@tx.rr.com wrote:

The IMPORTANT thing is that the work was stood behind....just as I thought it would be. So if you're happy now how about having the negative threads removed by the mods...

Well ..I don't know :) What I would say is that if Joe drove to his door and hand delivered a new head with new valves and a freshly baked cake to sweeten the deal..... somebody would bitch about the frosting :woohoo:

That head doesn't need new seats....not by a long, long, long shot... I'm sorry I even mentioned new valves to be perfectly honest.....
Larry C.
Last edit: by LarryC.

Rebuilding a KZ -- don't use Pit Stop Performance 02 Nov 2014 12:15 #652638

• 4TheKZ1000
  • Visitor
Damm, this is really a mess. Just sucks to see this guy stressed by PSP. Hope he gets it straightened out.

Good Luck.
Last edit: by 4TheKZ1000.

Rebuilding a KZ -- don't use Pit Stop Performance 02 Nov 2014 13:12 #652641

• KawC2
  • User

LarryC wrote:

Well ..I don't know :) What I would say is that if Joe drove to his door and hand delivered a new head with new valves and a freshly baked cake to sweeten the deal..... somebody would bitch about the frosting :woohoo:

That head doesn't need new seats....not by a long, long, long shot... I'm sorry I even mentioned new valves to be perfectly honest.....

Well, I don't know I like frosting on my cake. What I DON'T like, is being taken advantage of by doing the minimal amout of work and destroying a perfectly good head.

It's not like the only reason we talked about the problem is because you said something about it. IT'S BECAUSE IT IS ObVIOUS.

Rebuilding a KZ -- don't use Pit Stop Performance 02 Nov 2014 13:17 #652642

• KawC2
  • User

Exactly......

Rebuilding a KZ -- don't use Pit Stop Performance 02 Nov 2014 16:51 #652658

• LarryC
  • User

KawC2 wrote:

LarryC wrote:

Well, I don't know I like frosting on my cake. What I DON'T like, is being taken advantage of by doing the minimal amout of work and destroying a perfectly good head.

It's not like the only reason we talked about the problem is because you said something about it. IT'S BECAUSE IT IS ObVIOUS.

I only meant my comment about the valves being sunk so much. They'll work that way it's just not ideal for best flow.

You need to man up and quit whining..... SHIT HAPPENS... It not the shit happening that defines the man...it's how he handles it... ;)

Joe tried to make it right...you're still not happy. Joe was probably trying to save you money by refacing your old valves and he got bit in the ass for his efforts......That's neither here nor there anymore.

I live by this theory... You can't make chicken soup from chicken shit. Throw way the junk you're pissing around with and put new valves in it. Order yourself 4 new exhaust valves. Your choice to go cheap or buy good...
Lap them in and check the installed heights. You want 1.475" - 1.480" installed with no spring cup.

If you don't have the means to check that, then you can just use your cam and a bucket with a 250 shim installed. You don't need keepers, retainer or spring installed to do it.

Stand the head on the intake ports. Drop a bucket in. Put the valve in and push the bucket up all the way. Set your cam in and check lash with a feeler. If you get correct lash with a shim no thinner than 240, call it good. If it takes less than that, the valves will need to be tipped. You can figure out how much with a little basic math. The difference between the thinnest shim you need to get .004" lash and a #250 shim is the amount you tip the valve..

That's the back yard, no tools having method of doing it but it will work.... There you go...it's your circus,, make the animals dance the way that makes you happy... :) I wish you good luck.
Larry C.
Last edit: by LarryC.

Rebuilding a KZ -- don't use Pit Stop Performance 02 Nov 2014 16:58 #652659

• LarryC
  • User
Here are two tools that I use to check installed heights. The one without the indicator is for ball parking. The other is for accuracy. Both home made.

Attachment 011.jpg not found

Larry C.
Attachments: