Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Rebuilding a KZ -- don't use Pit Stop Performance 10 Aug 2014 19:02 #643397

• autotech2@tx.rr.com
  • autotech2@tx.rr.com's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
Wanted to do a performance rebuild on my KZ1000-K2. Originally, I was planning on just doing the top-end myself. I’m a new-car dealership technician with 30 years’ experience – and I’ve assembled and repaired more engines than I care to mention. But I was referred to Pit Stop Performance in Orlando, FL, understanding they could perform a quality complete rebuild, and they specialize in classic Japanese muscle engines.

The bill was almost $5k, and it looked great in the crate, but here’s what I’ve learned since then:

Within the first 100 miles the oil leaks began. It leaked at the generator cover, clutch cover, gearbox cover, RS crank cover, and the oil pan. The cover leaks were caused by engine paint on all the gasket surfaces, combined with the use of inexpensive thin paper gaskets. I cleaned all surfaces down to the aluminum, and used OEM gaskets to make the repairs. During the process I replaced the oil level lens in the clutch cover (couldn’t read the oil level because the lens was installed backwards).

Next, the head gasket started leaking oil, significantly from the oil passages. Tried re-torquing the cylinder several times, but that didn’t help at all. At the same time I noticed small leaks beginning at the engine case-half seam.

While attempting to tune the carbs the engine wasn’t running quite right, so I performed a cylinder leakdown test, and discovered about a 25% leakage past the intake valves at two cylinders.

The head gasket oil leak, combined with the leaking valves, required me to teardown the top-end and send the head, cams, block, and pistons to a reputable machinist I work with here in the Dallas, TX area.

He informed me that the combined .004” warpage at the head, and .006” warpage at the block, along with the aftermarket one-piece head gasket coated with an unknown sealant, was the cause of the head gasket oil leak. He machined the block and head to correct the warpage.

The valve seats were not cut concentric with the valves causing the compression leak at the two intake valves. He cut all seats and lapped in the valves to correct.

At the same time we noticed significant scoring at a number of the camshaft journals and bearings. The machinist, while cleaning the cylinder head, found some kind of blasting media (grit) inside the oil galleys feeding the camshafts. He cleaned out the media, polished the cam journals, and I replaced all the camshaft bearings to correct that problem.

The pistons, rings, and cylinder walls were also scored. The machinist believed this could be caused by insufficient cleaning of the cylinder walls after honing. I keep wondering if the blasting media may have been a part of this problem also. The correction was re-honing the cylinders, polishing the pistons, and replacing the rings. The machinist also noted that the engine paint on both the block and head washed off completely with gasoline, even after full curing at the hottest areas of the head.

As part of the original rebuild the air/pollution passages leading to the cylinder head exhaust ports were supposed to have been plugged off, but they were not. My machinist completed that also.

Re-painted and reassembled the top end with OEM gaskets and O-rings (no sealant), and she’s now running well with no oil leaks – except the case-half seam. Right now I don’t have the time or energy to pull the engine again, split the case, and repair this final oil leak. But I’m confident the cause is again engine paint on the seam surfaces, and the use of the unknown sealant. I can see the hard sealant at parts of the seam, and it’s definitely not a silicone liquid gasket which is used in almost all aluminum-to-aluminum non-gasket engine sealing applications.

In the beginning Pit Stop Performance was sending me the OEM gaskets while I repaired the first oil leaks, but when I asked for reimbursement for the machinist and parts bills for the top-end, I was offered only a fraction of the cost, which wasn’t worth accepting. In reality, the machining, parts, time and labor for everything I’ve done to repair this engine has exceeded what I paid for the rebuild. And I still have to pull the engine, split the case, and re-seal the case halves.

I just wanted to explain what I’ve been through, while trying to be nothing more than factual about the whole thing. I’m hoping to help fellow enthusiasts avoid the loss of time and money this has cost me. Bottom line; I should have done it myself.

But, after all is said and done, I think I still I have a pretty cool KZ.

Let me know if you have any questions. I have pictures of everything, and it’s not pretty.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: 650ed, undiablo, Space Truckin
The topic has been locked.

Rebuilding a KZ -- don't use Pit Stop Performance 10 Aug 2014 19:10 #643398

• K.D. HART
  • User
  • Thank you received: 11
Man that sucks!
I hope they try to make it right with you.

Rebuilding a KZ -- don't use Pit Stop Performance 10 Aug 2014 19:12 #643401

• 4TheKZ1000
  • Visitor
OUCH...... :pinch:

SAY IT AINT SO JOE.
Last edit: by 4TheKZ1000.

Rebuilding a KZ -- don't use Pit Stop Performance 10 Aug 2014 19:18 #643403

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
  • Thank you received: 299
Welcome to z-jungle,thats a clean looking ltd you've got there.Ive never really been a fan of silver paint on aluminum motors,but that's just my opinion on things anyway. ;)
posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

Rebuilding a KZ -- don't use Pit Stop Performance 10 Aug 2014 19:19 #643404

• autotech2@tx.rr.com
  • User
It's so, and kicked my ass. Couldn't believe they didn't perform the basics while building the engine. If I did work like that on a new car, I'd be out of a job.
Last edit: by autotech2@tx.rr.com.

Rebuilding a KZ -- don't use Pit Stop Performance 10 Aug 2014 19:58 #643412

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
  • Thank you received: 299
Ive assembled many 73-80 900/1000 motors over the years with 1 piece head gasket and o ring groove filled with rtv without any problems/leaks,Its common practice.
If the cylinder and head were both warped youll have problems no matter what gasket you use,did he remove the sleeves and skim bottem of cylinder also to make sure it was flat?
I have no idea why he didn't ateast mask off the gasket surface areas before painting the motor,Of course you know how I feel about aluminum colored paint on aluminum motors.
It kind of cheapens the experience in my book anyway,especially when it starts flaking off. :sick:
If you want to paint a motor silver,do it on a gs series Suzuki! :woohoo:
posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

Rebuilding a KZ -- don't use Pit Stop Performance 11 Aug 2014 04:45 #643434

• autotech2@tx.rr.com
  • User
You're right. It probably wouldn't have leaked with the aftermarket gasket if the surfaces were flat. But I still think the OEM gaskets/o-rings are a stronger seal. The 1100 gaskets worked well after the 4mm bore (1075cc).

I don't think we checked the bottom of the cylinders for flatness, but should have. There was no leak there. And probably another spot where the Kawi gaskets make a difference. They're much thicker with a sealant coating as compared to the aftermarket.

The paint color is aluminum, not silver. Didn't have much choice about painting.

Rebuilding a KZ -- don't use Pit Stop Performance 11 Aug 2014 05:03 #643435

• Nebr_Rex
  • User
  • Thank you received: 298

autotech2@tx.rr.com wrote: You're right. It probably wouldn't have leaked with the aftermarket gasket if the surfaces were flat. But I still think the OEM gaskets/o-rings are a stronger seal. The 1100 gaskets worked well after the 4mm bore (1075cc).

I don't think we checked the bottom of the cylinders for flatness, but should have. There was no leak there. And probably another spot where the Kawi gaskets make a difference. They're much thicker with a sealant coating as compared to the aftermarket.

The paint color is aluminum, not silver. Didn't have much choice about painting.

1075 is 2mm over.

2002 ZRX1200R
81 GPz1100
79 KZ1000st daily ride
79 KZ1000mk2 prodject
78 KZ650sr
78 KZ650b
81 KZ750e
80 KZ750ltd
77 KZ400/440 cafe project
76 KZ400/440 Fuel Injected

www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=39120.0

Rebuilding a KZ -- don't use Pit Stop Performance 11 Aug 2014 05:22 #643436

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2829

autotech2@tx.rr.com wrote: ..........

Just curious - why no choice? My engine has always been bare aluminum - never painted. Was yours permanently stained or damaged? Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

Rebuilding a KZ -- don't use Pit Stop Performance 11 Aug 2014 06:57 #643451

• peter1958
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 198
joe paints all the engines or heads. Omr asked him not to paint his but he did anyhow.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wireman

Rebuilding a KZ -- don't use Pit Stop Performance 11 Aug 2014 08:12 #643470

• 531blackbanshee
  • Vendor
  • Thank you received: 797
sorry about your problems :sick: .
beautiful bike tho! :evil:

leon
skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!