Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Rebuilding a KZ -- don't use Pit Stop Performance 11 Aug 2014 16:33 #643519

• autotech2@tx.rr.com
  • autotech2@tx.rr.com's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7

Just curious - why no choice? My engine has always been bare aluminum - never painted. Was yours permanently stained or damaged? Ed

I didn't even think about the paint when I sent them the engine. I think he said it was some ancient HD paint he used. But it never cured. Spilled a little fuel while tuning the carbs and it took the paint right off. When I re-did the top-end it washed off completely with gasoline. But with the paint off it was a dark shade, which didn't look normal at all. Don't know if it was from the blasting they did, but I had to repaint.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 650ed
The topic has been locked.

Rebuilding a KZ -- don't use Pit Stop Performance 11 Aug 2014 16:43 #643523

• autotech2@tx.rr.com
  • User
Man, the leak at the case halves is getting worse. Not dripping on the floor, but I have to wipe it down every other ride.

Don't know if I mentioned, but the guy who referred me to Pit Stop, at the time had yet to fire his "J" engine. But I was a sucker cause it looked so good with the polished covers and new paint. I checked out their website, and searched for any bad reviews. Didn't find any so I went for it. P.S. The other guy's "J" engine is leaking everywhere just like mine.

Rebuilding a KZ -- don't use Pit Stop Performance 11 Aug 2014 16:49 #643524

• PLUMMEN
  • User
  • Thank you received: 103
That bites! :(
Still recovering,some days are better than others.

Rebuilding a KZ -- don't use Pit Stop Performance 13 Aug 2014 11:01 #643800

• Pfaelzer
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Thx for posting. I was just considering buying an engine from them. Guess I owe you - you probably saved me mucho $$$. Your bike looks great btw.
1977 KZ 1000
Queen Creek, Arizona
The following user(s) said Thank You: BlackZ1R

Rebuilding a KZ -- don't use Pit Stop Performance 13 Aug 2014 11:18 #643806

• 4TheKZ1000
  • Visitor
Joe at Pit stop has done great work over the years. I have talked to people who are very happy with the work Joe does.

In this case, This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. has done a great job stating his problems and grievances with Joe, and I'm sure that the issues This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. had were real.

Just remember this is one side of the story! and Joe hasn't been able to clarify or state his side.

This one case should not all encompass Joes long carrier building bikes and engines.

Sounds like Joe lost major focus on this build???
Last edit: by 4TheKZ1000.

Rebuilding a KZ -- don't use Pit Stop Performance 13 Aug 2014 19:23 #643859

• autotech2@tx.rr.com
  • User

Thx for posting. I was just considering buying an engine from them. Guess I owe you - you probably saved me mucho $$$. Your bike looks great btw.

Hey Pfaelzer,

That's the reason I've posted the stuff. I don't want anyone to make the same mistake I did.

Thanks.

Rebuilding a KZ -- don't use Pit Stop Performance 13 Aug 2014 19:57 #643870

• autotech2@tx.rr.com
  • User

Joe at Pit stop has done great work over the years. I have talked to people who are very happy with the work Joe does.

In this case, This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. has done a great job stating his problems and grievances with Joe, and I'm sure that the issues This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. had were real.

Just remember this is one side of the story! and Joe hasn't been able to clarify or state his side.

This one case should not all encompass Joes long carrier building bikes and engines.

Sounds like Joe lost major focus on this build???

Hey 4TheKZ1000,

Not sure what type of work the folks you've spoken to were performed by Pit Stop Performance, but what I posted were the facts. And it's not just me. I've been in contact with others going through the same thing.

If Joe would like to join this topic, I'm all for it.

I'm a master tech by several designations for 30 years. The engine rebuild I paid for did not abide by some of the basics in auto-repair.

If the folks you spoke to had a complete rebuild done -- it's leaking oil, and possibly a loss of compression. It blew me away when I complained about the first leaks, and Joe said oil leaks are always a problem with these 30 year old engines. That's BS. You build it correctly, and they don't leak -- period.

I think it's a combination of doing it the same way for so many years, substandard equipment and materials, and getting away with unfounded explanations of these rebuilt engine's deficiencies.

Again, just trying to prevent this from happening to someone else. It was a costly nightmare, and re-doing the engine myself was the only fix.

Let me add this; working with Joe in the beginning was a pleasure. He answered all my questions as accurately as possible. And I really hope he's learned from this experience and improves his building procedures.

There are shops in Japan and Europe which specialize in performance builds of these classic bikes with extreme precision and quality. I'd love to do it myself...
Last edit: by autotech2@tx.rr.com.

Rebuilding a KZ -- don't use Pit Stop Performance 13 Aug 2014 20:05 #643871

• PLUMMEN
  • User
Oil leaks are not a problem for any engine that's put together right,well ok maybe normal for a Harley! :laugh:
Why anybody would paint a gasket mating surface and expect it to seal is beyond me. :unsure:
The following user(s) said Thank You: BlackZ1R

Rebuilding a KZ -- don't use Pit Stop Performance 13 Aug 2014 20:09 #643873

• PLUMMEN
  • User
Im trying to figure out how the seats weren't cut concentric with the guides,the arbor for the cutter should fit in the guide to center things. ;)

Rebuilding a KZ -- don't use Pit Stop Performance 13 Aug 2014 20:23 #643876

• autotech2@tx.rr.com
  • User

Oil leaks are not a problem for any engine that's put together right,well ok maybe normal for a Harley! :laugh:
Why anybody would paint a gasket mating surface and expect it to seal is beyond me. :unsure:

Thank you, PLUMMEN. I couldn't believe it myself.

During the first oil change, the paint stuck to the o-ring on the filter cover. And it was a bitch getting the paint off the case surfaces to fix the leaks at all the engine covers and oil pan. I used a scraper, scotch-brite, and brake-clean.

Rebuilding a KZ -- don't use Pit Stop Performance 13 Aug 2014 20:26 #643877

• autotech2@tx.rr.com
  • User

Im trying to figure out how the seats weren't cut concentric with the guides,the arbor for the cutter should fit in the guide to center things. ;)

Not sure. It was either an unskilled technician, worn and/or outdated equipment. After the leak-down test, and pulling the head, I could see daylight past two of the intake valves.

Rebuilding a KZ -- don't use Pit Stop Performance 14 Aug 2014 05:44 #643901

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2829
Could he have used the wrong arbor / cutter? Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Last edit: by 650ed.