Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Rebuilding a KZ -- don't use Pit Stop Performance 14 Aug 2014 09:48 #643922

• autotech2@tx.rr.com
  • autotech2@tx.rr.com's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7

Oil leaks are not a problem for any engine that's put together right,well ok maybe normal for a Harley! :laugh:
Why anybody would paint a gasket mating surface and expect it to seal is beyond me. :unsure:

I tell you. I got a friend with an HD with 70k miles and it doesn't leak a drop. Mine leaked almost everywhere after the first ride.
The topic has been locked.

Rebuilding a KZ -- don't use Pit Stop Performance 14 Aug 2014 09:55 #643923

• autotech2@tx.rr.com
  • User

Could he have used the wrong arbor / cutter? Ed

Forgot what my machinist said, bad tools or not fitted in the guide correctly. He did say he believed the head and block were done with a belt sander. This will clean off the old gasket and make it look nice, but will never make the surfaces true flat.
Last edit: by autotech2@tx.rr.com.

Rebuilding a KZ -- don't use Pit Stop Performance 14 Aug 2014 15:09 #643971

• PLUMMEN
  • User
  • Thank you received: 103

autotech2@tx.rr.com wrote:

Could he have used the wrong arbor / cutter? Ed

Forgot what my machinist said, bad tools or not fitted in the guide correctly. He did say he believed the head and block were done with a belt sander. This will clean off the old gasket and make it look nice, but will never make the surfaces true flat.

:sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :unsure: :ohmy: :huh: :dry: :silly: :blink: :S :whistle: :pinch: :woohoo:
Still recovering,some days are better than others.

Rebuilding a KZ -- don't use Pit Stop Performance 14 Aug 2014 16:29 #643980

• Kapahulu
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
On Facebook guys are saying Joe is having health problems and hasn't been answering the phone.
1978 KZ1000, 1976 KZ900, 1975 H2, 1973 H1, 1973 H2, 1978 RD400, 1977 RD400, 1974 RD350
2strokeworld.com

Rebuilding a KZ -- don't use Pit Stop Performance 15 Aug 2014 00:35 #644018

• zed1015
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1470
He went in for open heart surgery a week or so ago.
AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

Rebuilding a KZ -- don't use Pit Stop Performance 15 Aug 2014 04:33 #644022

• autotech2@tx.rr.com
  • User
Sorry to hear that.

Rebuilding a KZ -- don't use Pit Stop Performance 15 Aug 2014 09:04 #644043

• PLUMMEN
  • User
  • Thank you received: 103
That sucks :(
Still recovering,some days are better than others.

Rebuilding a KZ -- don't use Pit Stop Performance 15 Aug 2014 15:14 #644086

• benhurmx
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
When i picked up my motor a month ago from Joe's workplace in Orlando, i noticed he wasn't feeling so well. Joe's work was always meticulous and reasonable that's why i decided to go with Pit Stop Performance to assemble/build the motor( made roundtrip from ft-lauderdale to Orlando twice). I did not fire up the motor yet and hope i don't get the same results mentioned in this thread, but i sure wish Joe a fast recovery with minimal impact.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PLUMMEN
Last edit: by benhurmx.

Rebuilding a KZ -- don't use Pit Stop Performance 16 Aug 2014 08:30 #644181

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
  • Thank you received: 391
Not to high jack your thread on Pitstop Performance, but: :S
Lately it seems to be an industry problem. We at our shop have had bad work done from nearly everywhere we send stuff out to. Seems like either the worst luck ever or a plague.
Guides not reamed, seats that are porous, rebuilt engines that Knock from piston clearance cold, low engine vacuum and no power, a particular Lotus engine that smokes like crazy under power and misses at Idle which just was rebuilt. Auto transmissions that leak from nearly every seal and gasket, and turn around time on any job seems to be really excessive. :(
I know a lot of the replacement parts quality is shot to hell, thats been an ongoing issue now for a very long time. But how can someone do a valve job without reaming the new guides, have seats that are porous, IN seats that have a single angle and contact none of the valve face, 50% + leakage, get sent out from a shop that has been in business 50 years??? :sick: Cost our shop another $500 to have them redone at another place, as the first shop would do nothing without returning them to there place. They already had them 6+ weeks, and the customer was getting really pissed. :angry:
Way to many button pushers these days and not enough hands on skills. Its Killing this country!!!!!!!!!! :pinch:
1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nebr_Rex, PLUMMEN, KZ Rat, DSummerlin

Rebuilding a KZ -- don't use Pit Stop Performance 16 Aug 2014 09:08 #644183

• autotech2@tx.rr.com
  • User

When i picked up my motor a month ago from Joe's workplace in Orlando, i noticed he wasn't feeling so well. Joe's work was always meticulous and reasonable that's why i decided to go with Pit Stop Performance to assemble/build the motor( made roundtrip from ft-lauderdale to Orlando twice). I did not fire up the motor yet and hope i don't get the same results mentioned in this thread, but i sure wish Joe a fast recovery with minimal impact.

If it's a "J" engine pull the APE pollution covers and see if the exhaust ports have been plugged. When I first fired mine you could hear and feel the exhaust blowing out from the covers. Then ride it like 100 miles (if that) and carefully inspect everywhere for leaks. Good luck, and let me know what happens. Might want to also pull the oil filter and see if the paint sticks to the o-ring. If so, I would assume there may be paint on all the gasket surfaces.

Here's the head gasket leak:

Attachment Headgasketleak.jpg not found

Beginning of the case leaks:

Attachment Caseseamleak1.jpg not found

Attachment Caseseamleak2.jpg not found

Cam journal damage:

Attachment Camjournals.jpg not found

This is daylight past the #2 intake valve:

Attachment Intakevalves.jpg not found

This is me in the middle of re-doing the top end correctly:

Attachment Topend.jpg not found

Attachments:
Last edit: by autotech2@tx.rr.com.

Rebuilding a KZ -- don't use Pit Stop Performance 16 Aug 2014 10:49 #644189

• Kapahulu
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
Boy that sucks.
1978 KZ1000, 1976 KZ900, 1975 H2, 1973 H1, 1973 H2, 1978 RD400, 1977 RD400, 1974 RD350
2strokeworld.com

Rebuilding a KZ -- don't use Pit Stop Performance 16 Aug 2014 13:27 #644195

• benhurmx
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
" If it's a "J" engine pull the APE pollution covers and see if the exhaust ports have been plugged. When I first fired mine you could hear and feel the exhaust blowing out from the covers. Then ride it like 100 miles (if that) and carefully inspect everywhere for leaks. Good luck, and let me know what happens. Might want to also pull the oil filter and see if the paint sticks to the o-ring. If so, I would assume there may be paint on all the gasket surfaces."

It is not a "J" model.Too bad you have to redo the work on your motor, I was willing to pay an expert to put the motor back together so i do not have to do what you are doing now. I'll let you know as soon as i test the motor. Thx.
Last edit: by benhurmx.