Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Rebuilding a KZ -- don't use Pit Stop Performance 17 Aug 2014 18:57 #644299

• 4TheKZ1000
  • Visitor
you have been a member of this forum for almost 7 days.

You have done nothing to better the forum, answer a members question for help, or try to assimilate in any fashion. All you have done is bitch and moan like a 3 year old who got its binky taken away.

This happened 2 years ago? and you are still high on the horse? :pinch:

I personally would hope you would move down the road to the next forum, where you can continue to body slam a guy that's now flat on his back, - in a hospital, - sick,- and as far as we know could be close to death?

Its your story? no one to refute it.....who knows what the real story is.

Life is a bitch, there are no sure things. We all get the shaft and we move on. Grow up, pull your paints up and get on with it. The horse your beating on is dead!!

:whistle:
Last edit: by 4TheKZ1000.
The topic has been locked.

Rebuilding a KZ -- don't use Pit Stop Performance 17 Aug 2014 19:01 #644301

• Nebr_Rex
  • User
  • Thank you received: 298
No mistake on my part, my stuff runs and doesn't leak oil.
With no tangible evidence of where the engine work was
done. It could of been performed by anyone. Do you have
any proof it was done by who you say it was. Without that
I'm right on track.

2002 ZRX1200R
81 GPz1100
79 KZ1000st daily ride
79 KZ1000mk2 prodject
78 KZ650sr
78 KZ650b
81 KZ750e
80 KZ750ltd
77 KZ400/440 cafe project
76 KZ400/440 Fuel Injected

www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=39120.0

Rebuilding a KZ -- don't use Pit Stop Performance 17 Aug 2014 19:01 #644302

• autotech2@tx.rr.com
  • autotech2@tx.rr.com's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
Just trying to help others.
Last edit: by autotech2@tx.rr.com.

Rebuilding a KZ -- don't use Pit Stop Performance 17 Aug 2014 19:19 #644306

• autotech2@tx.rr.com
  • User
I did not know of any health issues with Joe Hooper when I began this thread, and I wish him a speedy recovery. I'm ending my input, and sincerely hope it's helped the more intelligent members.

Rebuilding a KZ -- don't use Pit Stop Performance 17 Aug 2014 19:20 #644307

• !Seymore
  • User
  • Ride on...
  • Thank you received: 63

Nebr_Rex wrote: I'm curious. Has anyone else experienced similar work from pit stop?
It's strange a new member joins and the first thing they do is start ripping on someone.
Just being a little sceptical, but I would like to see an invoice.

Yea, I share your sentiment... So did some checking. Hmmmmmmmm...

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.... well, you're a mechanic so I wonder why you didn't do the build yourself. IMPO, time and knowledge are not reasons, but excuses. I make the time and get the tools I need, from friends or straight purchases. Of course, there are some aspect I most definitely am not not qualified to do, or have the 5 figure tools to do it... like skimming heads... Then I have local resources to fall back on. BTW, I'm not a trained mech, just an average joe who can do most of what needs to be done, with a FSM, tools and common sense.

Could be any one of a number of reasons why this happened to you, but I've read nothing where you tried to contact Joe to get this resolved. You should get his answers before typing anything like this, on a public site... now he needs to explain and defend himself. I would've expected you to contact him before typing anything like this. Two side to every story. Most are resolvable with the proper comm... BTW, it also don't speak well when you spread stories like this on multiple sites without good comm with Joe first. www.dragbike.com/forum/showthread.php?63...iewfull=1#post642859

I've learned, over many decades that if you want it done "right", do it yourself. I have run into many situations where I've allowed others to do a job and find corners are cut or not done to the payers satasification. Lessons learned...

It still gets me that a mechanic allows other to wrench on their ride. Sorta like the ol' vinyl days... no you can't borrow my album, but bring a tape and I'll record it for ya. Bet you don't loan tool either, right?

Can only say that I hope you learned something from this experience.

Oh, language like that is not tolerated and speaks to your tude'! Guess I hit the nail on the head, eh? Bye now! Don't let the door... well, you know!
C.
79' KZ650-D2 [fsm] (Max)
83' KZ750-F1 LTD [clymers] (Kay)
82' KZ1100-D1 Specter (another project)
78' KZ650-B2a (J&H, A Project)
91' KZ1000-P (P = parts)
Last edit: by Topper.

Rebuilding a KZ -- don't use Pit Stop Performance 17 Aug 2014 19:57 #644314

• ramtough_63
  • User
  • Thank you received: 132
Maybe I like the drama not really sure why I am chiming in but I just feel the need

4 the KZ has a valid point

Your attempt to raise our awareness of shoddy work and help thwart our possible duplication of what
seems to be close to a 10k engine build has allot of us long term members saying WHAT????
Who is this guy and why did he come here to help??

Its obvious you have a genuine dislike for pitstop performance a vender who has advertised here and been a reliable source for many who have come and gone and still participate on this forum

Quite frankly the timing does suck with that said I have a couple questions that may have been covered
1. Why did you outsource 5k worth of work that you have the obvious resources to perform locally??
2. Have you sent copies of the additional invoices and detailed notes on the negligent & substandard work?

It has been my opinion dealing with hundreds of unhappy customers the ones who have a legit complaint get the red carpet treatment if one of my techs forgets to torque a bolt, press a bearing fully etc.. I make it right

now those customers who radio doesn't work after we replaced the rear shocks im polite to and will check the fuse

but the guy who says my wheels are bent a/c doesn't work you got grease on my spare tire trans doesn't shift right and its leaking gas from the filler I immediately put my defenses up because I know one of my guys did get grease on his spare tire after he aired the tires up. But it would seem unlikely every tech in my shop
had a total lapse in ability on the same job.

and a company that has done I am sure hundreds of engines with the same technique will by definition have a few that fell through the cracks maybe the new guy didn't understand the importance of his roll who knows where the meltdown occurred.

I think we would all like to know who are you and why come here to help?
One man crusade who would rather ruin a man for a few perceived flaws in workmanship
I am sure a few invoices to repair the substandard work from your local machine shop with some photos
and an articulately detailed letter of the shorfalls sent by registered mail would give you way better satisfaction than trying to ruin a mans business on every forum that will let you post

Just my.02

I have refunded entire invoices back when polite customers have brought me invoices from
the dealership that was able to fix a vehicle that my guy just threw parts at to get out

Other than that welcome aboard hope to see some other helpful posts in the future
1978 KZ1000 A2
Thrown Together To Ride Til Winter
Facebook Page
Free Range Custom Art

1982/83 750R/GPZ
1984 Goldwing 1200 Interstate
1982 Yamahopper QT50
Previous
2 79 HD sporty XLH
02 HD FLSTS Heritage
60's HD Hummer
70's Honda 550 Four
70 Yamaha 100
and various enduros dirtbikes minibikes...

Rebuilding a KZ -- don't use Pit Stop Performance 17 Aug 2014 20:21 #644316

• autotech2@tx.rr.com
  • User
ramtough_63

I'll reply because your speaking in a reasonable manner.

I sent the engine to Pit Stop because I believed from a referral they could do a quality job due to their machining recourses and expertise on these style engines. Plus I often work 12 hour days, six days a week, and didn't have the time.

I communicated with Pit Stop every step of the way through the problems. Once I was forced to re-do the top-end myself, I sent receipts for parts and machining totaling $2200, not including anything for my labor, or splitting the case to fix the final oil leak. He offered me $500, and I told him to keep it.

You're right, the timing of this thread was terrible. I was unaware of his health problems.

Rebuilding a KZ -- don't use Pit Stop Performance 18 Aug 2014 07:23 #644343

• z1kzonly
  • User
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 519
Same here, 1st timer. Thanks for the 2 last post's, Ram & Autotech, very civil and respectable!
I don't know or have ever used Joe @ Pitstop. Maybe his business has grown, he took on more employees.
Could have been a younger, inexperienced worker. ???

But, makes me glad I have had a local friend since childhood, Jim Mangus, "Jims Cylinder Heads" in Buffalo.
Former Top Fuel Kawasaki racer. Jim has done all of my machining work since 1977 Kaws & Harleys.
Jim never uses Glass Bead or Silica Sand! EVER. He won't touch anything someone brings in that has had any applied. He says it will ruin his tooling equipment! Jim uses a steel shot tumbler on the parts he works on. Only thing, it leaves a dull gray mat finish. Great for painting, of course.

But, I hope everything works out for all. Live & learn lesson's. Could be worse! Last weekend at the Nostalgia AA/gasser Gang race, a friend's old iron 392 Hemi broke a rocker arm, trashed the whole top end, clynider head, cam, blower, injector. He figures $30-$40 grand to redo the engine.
Livin in "CheektaVegas, NY
Went thru 25 of these in 40 yrs.
I SOLD OUT! THE KAW BARN IS EMPTY.
More room for The Old Girl, Harley 75 FLH Electra Glide,
Old faithful! Points ign. Bendix Orig. carb.
Starts everytime!

Rebuilding a KZ -- don't use Pit Stop Performance 26 Sep 2014 19:00 #648922

• HBKwaka
  • Visitor

Rebuilding a KZ -- don't use Pit Stop Performance 27 Sep 2014 04:22 #648932

• Bozo
  • Sustaining Member
  • Ride it like u stole it
  • Thank you received: 104
Wow, I'm wondering if we are talking about same Joe Hooper who always had time to help (by email to Australia). Like another forum member I wonder while he is away someone else was filling his shoes. I would like to hear Joe's comments.

I had the same problem with Megacycle cams where the hard faces were wearing out badly on my FJ1200, I had a lot of doubters until Randy from RPM - A great FJ yamaha Dealer (USA) helped out and verified what I was saying (at the end Mega cycle told him to stick it as well). Therefore I believe Autotech did have issues and he has the right to air them, I just want to hear the other side.

It would be great if someone could let me know the latest on Joe's health issues.
First Permanent ride the Z1R since Dec1977 (220,000km) as of June 2015
Second permanent bike 1989 FJ1200 dyno'd 140RWH, great bike.
Third ride is now the Frankenstein 1981 GPZ1100B1, getting new/ refurbished 83-84 motor soon
Forth my work bike FJ1200 1989 (same type as above)
The following user(s) said Thank You: BlackZ1R

Rebuilding a KZ -- don't use Pit Stop Performance 27 Sep 2014 04:49 #648933

• Space Truckin
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks for the info, as a newbie I had already bookmarked their website for future work . With my service manual in hand, I will just try muddle through my work myself (sounds like I can't do any worse) Thanks again
1982 GPZ 750
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space
Last edit: by Space Truckin.

Rebuilding a KZ -- don't use Pit Stop Performance 29 Sep 2014 16:16 #649141

• autotech2@tx.rr.com
  • User

I had the same problem with Megacycle cams where the hard faces were wearing out badly on my FJ1200, I had a lot of doubters until Randy from RPM - A great FJ yamaha Dealer (USA) helped out and verified what I was saying (at the end Mega cycle told him to stick it as well). Therefore I believe Autotech did have issues and he has the right to air them, I just want to hear the other side.

It's funny you should mention Megacycle. The cams in my engine were made by Megacycle, and I noticed while re-doing the top-end that the cam sprockets were off-center. Meaning the chain rides to the side of the guides instead of straight down the middle. It's an APE sprocket which fits dead flat on the cam flange just like OEM. And end-play appears normal. Called Megacycle, but they wouldn't even talk to me saying the cams were made for Pitstop and not their problem. Seems it's an engineering glitch which hopefully won't turn into long-term damage. It's either the sprocket flange placement or the cams thrust surfaces at the #2 cap are off. Going either way with end-play doesn't center it.

You can see in the pic how the exhaust sprocket is a little off-center with the head. Looks worse seeing the chain up against the outer lips on one side of the guides.
Attachments: