A Newbies Adventures in Maintenanceland!

• 9am53
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • homebrew, and some bbq
More
26 Jan 2010 18:13 - 26 Jan 2010 18:17 #344811 by 9am53
Replied by 9am53 on topic A Newbies Adventures in Maintenanceland!
BTW, that blind hole bearing puller set I got was worth every penny. I am not sure if it's because everything is cold as hell (isn't hell hot?) or what, but the bearings were really stuck in there, once they loosened up they came right out np.

I got a can of brake cleaner to clean my brakes with, but I used the whole thing cleaning up the wheels, discs sprocket and sprocket housing...then I took it all in the back of my truck to the local 24 hr. carwash and cleaned the hell out of it all. Tomorrow I am going to get another can of brake clean and a can of OMRcolor gold and paint my rims. I will post some before and afters tomorrow. Having no woman around for a week is great! I just smoked a cigar in the living room! hell yeah!
Last edit: 26 Jan 2010 18:17 by 9am53.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• TeK9iNe
  • User
  • What did you do!?!
More
27 Jan 2010 18:32 #344986 by TeK9iNe
Replied by TeK9iNe on topic A Newbies Adventures in Maintenanceland!
Way to go man! :laugh:

If you can find it, at like CrappyTire, SprayNine is a great cleaning product that lasts alot longer and is cheaper than the brake cleaner. Just give a small blast of brake cleaner after using the Nine to clean all the heavy stuff off.

Cheers!

B)

Motorcycle Shop Owner/Operator

79 Kawie Z1000 LTD
81 Kawie Z1000 CSR
83 Honda VT750C A
85 Kawie GPZ900 A2
86 Zukie GS1150 EG
93 Yamie XV1100 E
Lucky to have rolled many old bikes through my doors ;)

• 9am53
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • homebrew, and some bbq
More
28 Jan 2010 11:29 #345093 by 9am53
I have some new bearings in the mail, what is the best grease to lube these up with? I have syringes here at work that I was thinking of filling with vaseline and shooting into the bearings. Would that white lithium grease be better?

More
28 Jan 2010 11:52 #345099 by timebomb33
Replied by timebomb33 on topic A Newbies Adventures in Maintenanceland!
wheel bearing grease that you buy in 1 lbs tube for a grease gun or you can buy it in small pails at crappy tire. any name brand will be good for what your doing. lithium or vaseoline isn't any where heavy enough also the bearins should come pre lubed but if you want you can use a pick or a small flat screwdriver as long as you dont damage them and pop the seals right out and then pack the bearing full. then just press the seals back into place 2 minuetes your done. buy the way i see you shop at prinncess auto you can buy your bearings from them cheaper and no waiting. well your there you should buy your self a set of proper bearing and seal drivers .

1973 z1 2-1974z1-a,2-1975z1-b dragbikes1015cc+1393cc, 1977kz1000,1978kz1000,1981kz1000j, 1997 zx-11, 2000 z12r,1428turbo nitrous pro-mod and a shit load of parts thats all for now leader sask.,CANADA
I THINK MY POWERBAND BROKE

• 9am53
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • homebrew, and some bbq
More
28 Jan 2010 12:03 #345103 by 9am53
timebomb33 wrote:

wheel bearing grease that you buy in 1 lbs tube for a grease gun or you can buy it in small pails at crappy tire. any name brand will be good for what your doing. lithium or vaseoline isn't any where heavy enough also the bearins should come pre lubed but if you want you can use a pick or a small flat screwdriver as long as you dont damage them and pop the seals right out and then pack the bearing full. then just press the seals back into place 2 minuetes your done. buy the way i see you shop at prinncess auto you can buy your bearings from them cheaper and no waiting. well your there you should buy your self a set of proper bearing and seal drivers .

ok cool. I am reusing the bearings from the front wheel, should I clean out the old grease and refill with new or just keep the old stuff in there. I saw the bearing driver kit there when I grabbed the blind hole bearing puller...it was 150 bucks, I am tempted to return it and get the bearing driver...I would feel bad though, I don't mind doing that at walmart, but not at a smaller store like PA. I think the driver was like 20 bones, so I will get it after I get paid tomorrow...I was planning on buying some cigars...damn, lifes expensive.

• TeK9iNe
  • User
  • What did you do!?!
More
28 Jan 2010 12:12 #345104 by TeK9iNe
9am53 wrote:

ok cool. I am reusing the bearings from the front wheel, should I clean out the old grease and refill with new or just keep the old stuff in there. I saw the bearing driver kit there when I grabbed the blind hole bearing puller...it was 150 bucks, I am tempted to return it and get the bearing driver...I would feel bad though, I don't mind doing that at walmart, but not at a smaller store like PA. I think the driver was like 20 bones, so I will get it after I get paid tomorrow...I was planning on buying some cigars...damn, lifes expensive.

:laugh: Clean them up good and make sure there proper. Then fill them with as much thick grease as they'll take.

You dont have to have the driver set, but it is pretty handy. I have always used a piece of cut wood and a rubber mallet :laugh: :P

B)

79 Kawie Z1000 LTD
81 Kawie Z1000 CSR
83 Honda VT750C A
85 Kawie GPZ900 A2
86 Zukie GS1150 EG
93 Yamie XV1100 E

• 9am53
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • homebrew, and some bbq
More
30 Jan 2010 19:34 #345490 by 9am53
I finished the rear wheel painting today, now I am just going to sand the vertical strips on the rims like they were before I painted...

Upon taking apart the calipers I found I could not remove the rusty bolts that are at the outside corners of this pic. I want to remove them so I can remove the rust and paint them black, but PB Blaster and break away don't seem to do anything, I think I may have to borrow somebodies vice and do it that way.

• TeK9iNe
  • User
  • What did you do!?!
More
30 Jan 2010 19:49 #345494 by TeK9iNe
If you break those off it will mean new parts or big headache.

Leave them right where they are and just cleanup then hand paint them.

After a few satisfing coats, put some SHELLAC on them.

Why shellac you say? Because shellac is not gas permiable, therefore oxygen cannot get in and they will never rust again.

(Paid for by the ultra cheap n easy group)

Problem solved fast! :laugh:

B)

or just break em...

79 Kawie Z1000 LTD
81 Kawie Z1000 CSR
83 Honda VT750C A
85 Kawie GPZ900 A2
86 Zukie GS1150 EG
93 Yamie XV1100 E

• 9am53
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • homebrew, and some bbq
More
31 Jan 2010 05:38 #345529 by 9am53
I think I tend towards the ultra cheap n' easy side of life, I will do as you say master obi wan.

• 9am53
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • homebrew, and some bbq
More
31 Jan 2010 10:35 #345603 by 9am53
I wet sanded my sidecovers in preparation for clear coating and sprayed a medium coat of enamel clearcoat on them (don't need 2 part on side covers). I ended up getting the worst orange peel I have ever seen all over them...bummer.

What could have caused this? Maybe not letting it dry enough after wet sanding before spraying? that's the only thing I can think of. I am used to nitrocellulose lacquers which don't have issues like this as often. I will sand it off and try again, but want to obviously avoid the problem.

Thanks in advance

• TeK9iNe
  • User
  • What did you do!?!
More
31 Jan 2010 15:45 #345662 by TeK9iNe
9am53 wrote:

I wet sanded my sidecovers in preparation for clear coating and sprayed a medium coat of enamel clearcoat on them (don't need 2 part on side covers). I ended up getting the worst orange peel I have ever seen all over them...bummer.

What could have caused this?

Needle/Nozzle wrong size
Insufficient air pressure/volume
Viscosity of coating
Fluid flow
Spray gun distance/speed
Envirnomental conditions
...to name a few!

Painting is a PITA, and I leave the most important stuff to my bodywork guy.

Goodluck!

B)

79 Kawie Z1000 LTD
81 Kawie Z1000 CSR
83 Honda VT750C A
85 Kawie GPZ900 A2
86 Zukie GS1150 EG
93 Yamie XV1100 E

• 9am53
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • homebrew, and some bbq
More
31 Jan 2010 15:56 #345669 by 9am53
I was using a duplicolor spray can, but now that I think about it the can was cold, I tried to warm it up quickly but I think it must have been too cold still so pressure must have been low. I will sand the stuff off and try again with a can that is nice and warm and see how it goes