A Newbies Adventures in Maintenanceland!

• 9am53
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • homebrew, and some bbq
More
22 Jan 2010 05:29 #343893 by 9am53
Replied by 9am53 on topic A Newbies Adventures in Maintenanceland!
Old Man Rock wrote:

6'5"... wholly carp your up there with Craigy then....

Damn, I need to go ride/camp with you two, tie ropes to both of your necks to set up my hammock.... Sweet! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Sure, and when we need to drain the main vein we will make sure to aim it your way! :woohoo:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Jan 2010 06:59 #343907 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic A Newbies Adventures in Maintenanceland!
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

• 9am53
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • homebrew, and some bbq
More
25 Jan 2010 17:38 #344553 by 9am53
So I have been a too busy to work on his bike loser lately, but finally got back into the wing of things. I decided to put a good solid few hours in taking out my wheel bearings, and here's where I stand there:

Looks like I am not worthy to be on this forum, I can't even take out one bearing! I tried everything I could, and the damn things won't budge. I decided I aint fucking around no more, so I went to my favorite store and returned my crap bag torque wrench and got this:

Now I hope I can get those damn buggers out!

Look mom, no wheels!

Anyways, I did manage to bolt the valve cover on for good now:

I also started to take apart my brake calipers:

I am thinking of painting one of those stylized "K"s on the round portion of my calipers in the gold I use for my rims.

Anyways, my gf is gone to Toronto tomorrow till Friday, so you can bet I will spend it working on the bike, I plan on having the rims cleaned up and painted by the end of the week, that way I can do the frame and then start on electrical and then - gulp - putting it all back together!

p.s. Here is why you should wear a respirator when painting:

That is one of 2 filters on the respirator, that green would have been in my lungs

More
25 Jan 2010 17:42 #344555 by keith1
Replied by keith1 on topic A Newbies Adventures in Maintenanceland!
dude , you are progressing and looking good....there will always be minor setbacks.....thats all part of the magicB) ....i for one cant wait untill its done.....

• 9am53
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • homebrew, and some bbq
More
25 Jan 2010 17:54 - 25 Jan 2010 17:55 #344561 by 9am53
I really can't wait...I am just feeling under the gun time wise. I am missing out on some insane crappie fishing but I have to get it all done. I have realized i have to downgrade my initial expectations and save some work for next year. I am not going to strip the frame and paint it like i wanted to. My frame looks pretty crappy in all the visible places, so I am going to do my best to clean those areas up, but I will do it right next year. Secondly, I did a bunch of work tracking down and modifying a duck tail, but I will leave that for next year as well. My original chrome fender is actually near mint condition, and I don't want to cover it up, not to mention I would need to make a custom brake light setup etc. so in the name of time savings, next year it is. I think I will also leave the big heavy footpeg brackets for this summer, and replace them with some nice tarozzi's next year. I will need top order some new bearings because the ones in the wheels are now pooched, once they are i I will make some measurements and order my ss brake lines. Then I will try to clean up some crappy PO wiring and/or coil mod, THEN I have to worry if this thing will start/run! That will be one hell of a day, I hope something doesn't explode! lol
Last edit: 25 Jan 2010 17:55 by 9am53.

More
25 Jan 2010 18:06 #344562 by keith1
Replied by keith1 on topic A Newbies Adventures in Maintenanceland!
i hear ya.....get a running motor and then do the rest as time and money comes....once ya get something you can ride down the street, it gives ya the spirit to improve the rest of the bike.....a lot of us are watching....no pressure though....:P

• 9am53
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • homebrew, and some bbq
More
25 Jan 2010 18:15 #344564 by 9am53
I changed my avatar from dancing Mario to my current state of mind. If my bike don't run come April, I promise to post a vid of this 300 pound man crying :(

• 9am53
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • homebrew, and some bbq
More
26 Jan 2010 04:23 #344607 by 9am53
Before I try to remove my bearings tonight with the blind hole puller I have a dumb question: Can the bearings be pulled out from either side (ie. can I pull the right bearing from the right side and the left bearings from the left side) or do they only come out on one side? I would hate to be pulling at it only to find that they come out only on one side

More
26 Jan 2010 05:02 #344613 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic A Newbies Adventures in Maintenanceland!
"I did manage to bolt the valve cover on for good now:"... Assumption you've already confirmed your valve clearances then? DOH!

Lookin good big man, keep them images coming.... B)

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

• 9am53
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • homebrew, and some bbq
More
26 Jan 2010 05:08 #344614 by 9am53
Old Man Rock wrote:

"I did manage to bolt the valve cover on for good now:"... Assumption you've already confirmed your valve clearances then? DOH!

Lookin good big man, keep them images coming.... B)

haha, I know you were kidding, but I wouldn't put it past me! I did go over clearances several times to make sure they are good, I also went over all my bolts and helicoiled bolts to make sure they are good. Everything was good so I sealed it up. I am glad to be done that stuff, working on the chassis seems to move faster than the motor, less small stuff to get hung up on. Jus tneed to get some brake cleaner tonight to clean out my calipers. Will brake cleaner damage the rubber seals and boots in the calipers?

• TeK9iNe
  • User
  • What did you do!?!
More
26 Jan 2010 17:33 #344790 by TeK9iNe
Replied by TeK9iNe on topic A Newbies Adventures in Maintenanceland!
9am53 wrote:

Will brake cleaner damage the rubber seals and boots in the calipers?

Only if it is left on there for a while. Just wipe it off, then clean up later with your favorite soap/spray.

When I get back in March, give me a shout. I'll come out and give ya a hand ;)

Cheers!

B)

Motorcycle Shop Owner/Operator

79 Kawie Z1000 LTD
81 Kawie Z1000 CSR
83 Honda VT750C A
85 Kawie GPZ900 A2
86 Zukie GS1150 EG
93 Yamie XV1100 E
Lucky to have rolled many old bikes through my doors ;)

• 9am53
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • homebrew, and some bbq
More
26 Jan 2010 17:48 #344800 by 9am53
wow, thanks man! By march I want to have the majority of the work done, so I will wait for a warmer day in march to try to start it and do a shakedown run/break in...if that goes awry I likely may need some help! lol

thanks again!