Rear wheel tightening?

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
21 Sep 2011 10:02 #478255 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Rear wheel tightening?
Tightening the Axle, should only apply pressure to the spacers and Inner Bearing races. There are no Tapered bearings that could be lose or tight by Torque values.
Look at the diagram and find which spacer you have either miss-installed or forgotten.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Sep 2011 10:04 #478256 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Rear wheel tightening?

mvent wrote:

Patton wrote: Were wheel bearings replaced before reassembly?

Yes new bearings, spokes and rims, original hubs, break arm in place but not torqued, could it be the bearings? there was a sleeve if I remember correctly that set location.
Thanks

Could be mistaken, but thinking an improperly seated or damaged wheel bearing might bind against the axle when tightened.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
21 Sep 2011 10:06 #478258 by T_Dub
Replied by T_Dub on topic Rear wheel tightening?
Yeah theres a sleeve in the center of the wheel and if the bearings aren't seated well against this it could cause some binding when you tighten.

1977 KZ650B1
-810cc
-Cavanaugh Racing Head
-Mikuni RS34's
-GPR Muffler

More
21 Sep 2011 10:15 #478260 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Rear wheel tightening?
If the new bearing is placed in the freezer overnight (or at least a few hours) or chilled with dry ice immediately before installation, it may more easily drop into position.

May combine this technique with also heating the wheel area where the "frozen" bearing is being inserted.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
21 Sep 2011 10:50 #478265 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Rear wheel tightening?

T_Dub wrote: Manuals are not all perfect by any means but a for a bolt of that diameter, 100ft-lbs is sweet fuck all. If you can't tighten it without your wheel binding then you have some other issue you better sort out.

Absolutely. The spacers and the torque on the axle nut do not apply any forces that should affect the bearings' ability to spin because when things are in place and properly aligned no lateral forces are applied to the bearings. As someone else mentioned, this is not a tapered roller bearing like on some cars that is preloaded based on how much torque is applied to the axle nut. Tightening the axle nut on the KZ is intended to keep the axle in place in the swingarm slot; not tighten the bearings. If the axle nut is too loose the axle could slip forward or backward during heavy acceleration or braking. The KZ650 torque value for the axle nut is 72-101 ft lbs. That's pretty tight (about the same as a car lug nut). Leaving the nut lose because the wheel binds is simply compensating for the symptom of a problem you haven't yet identified. No slam intended, but the truth is that any mechanic who suggests that as a permanent solution is simply too lazy to diagnose the source of the problem or he doesn't understand the relationship between the rear wheel bearings, spacers, axle nut, and swingarm. It doesn't matter to me on a personal level if you leave all the nuts on your bike lose because your mechanic is convinced he knows more than the folks who designed the bike, but I suggest you at least consider the fact that every bike that left the factory had the rear axle nut tightened to the spec and on every one of them the rear wheel turned freely. Coincidence? I don't think so. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
21 Sep 2011 11:04 #478268 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Rear wheel tightening?
yeah spec between 72-101 lbs,theres a reason they give you 2 numbers with a big space in between the 2. :laugh:
anybody who doesnt think you can over tighten that axle and nut enough to make that swingarm pinch in against those spacers and bind them up against the bearings should pull the rear wheel off of a kz1000 and look at how it actually goes together rather than just looking at a cartoon picture out of a shop manual somebody posts,or better yet just go out and crank the the nut on their rear axle to 150'lbs and see how it works. B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

More
21 Sep 2011 11:11 #478272 by T_Dub
Replied by T_Dub on topic Rear wheel tightening?
Cartoons, haha. I think the reason for the gap in the values is that they also want you to install the cotter pin, so if you need to back it off/tighten a bit to do that then the torque will be still within the range. I personally tighten mine with a long box end 1-1/8" wrench, tighten it hard, then line up the pin. This sometimes means its a tad looser than my initial tightening, sometimes a tad tighter.

1977 KZ650B1
-810cc
-Cavanaugh Racing Head
-Mikuni RS34's
-GPR Muffler

• wireman
  • User
More
21 Sep 2011 11:12 #478274 by wireman

Motor Head wrote: Tightening the Axle, should only apply pressure to the spacers and Inner Bearing races. There are no Tapered bearings that could be lose or tight by Torque values.
Look at the diagram and find which spacer you have either miss-installed or forgotten.

squeeze that swingarm tight enough and see how that wheel turns! :woohoo:

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

• wireman
  • User
More
21 Sep 2011 11:28 #478282 by wireman
29'lbs is a long tad! :laugh:
its no biggie,could be more than one cause for the problem is all :laugh:

More
21 Sep 2011 11:42 - 21 Sep 2011 11:42 #478290 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Rear wheel tightening?

wireman wrote: yeah spec between 72-101 lbs,theres a reason they give you 2 numbers with a big space in between the 2. :laugh:
anybody who doesnt think you can over tighten that axle and nut enough to make that swingarm pinch in against those spacers and bind them up against the bearings should pull the rear wheel off of a kz1000 and look at how it actually goes together rather than just looking at a cartoon picture out of a shop manual somebody posts,or better yet just go out and crank the the nut on their rear axle to 150'lbs and see how it works. B)

You are right that there is a reason, and here it is: The 72 - 101 range is there so you can align the slots is the castle nut to the hole in the axle so you can fit the cotter pin. If the range was small the odds of ever getting the castle nut slots to align with the hole would be slim to none because the slots are 60 degrees apart. I don't own a KZ1000, so I cannot says I have ever pulled the rear wheel on one - maybe it has tapered rolled bearings like my 1973 Ford F100 had on the front. If so, you are correct, the nut tightens the bearings. However, I can tell you that on my KZ650 the nut does not tighten the bearings. I torque mine to spec using a modified wrench and have done this at least 30 - 40 times in the 34 years I have owned the bike. I can assure you that at least on the KZ650 the rear wheel will not bind at the factory spec unless there is some other problem causing it to bind. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Last edit: 21 Sep 2011 11:42 by 650ed.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
21 Sep 2011 11:47 #478294 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Rear wheel tightening?
If you were to say assemble the axle with all the spacers, brake, bearings, etc, but without the wheel/ hub. Then tighten it inside the Swingarm, the spacers etc will act like one solid piece, no crush sleeve here. The outer bearing races should spin freely no matter the torque on the Axle nut.
The right hand #17 bearing is held to a depth with a snap-ring, against a shoulder in the hub, but the left #17 bearing is allowed to fit tight against the spacer with a slight movement of the complete bearing. Once against the spacer the lateral movement is then on the right #17 and its fit/ snap-ring. the outer bearing races should have No lateral Torque, all torque should be on the spacers/ inner bearing races.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
21 Sep 2011 12:13 #478304 by 531blackbanshee
Replied by 531blackbanshee on topic Rear wheel tightening?
motor head is right.

if you can't tighten your axle bolt until right before the threads strip off and it still turn freely.
then something is wrong in cartoonville.

dadeet dadeet,thats all folks :) .

leon

skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0