Rear wheel tightening?

More
22 Sep 2011 15:24 #478648 by T_Dub
Replied by T_Dub on topic Rear wheel tightening?
Great! Main thing is that your problem got fixed! Too bad a war of wills had to happen in your thread, sorry about that.

1977 KZ650B1
-810cc
-Cavanaugh Racing Head
-Mikuni RS34's
-GPR Muffler

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
22 Sep 2011 15:49 #478655 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Rear wheel tightening?
Now you'll be able to have confidence in the repair. Also should be able to ride it! That's what makes it all worthwhile. B)

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
22 Sep 2011 15:58 #478659 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Rear wheel tightening?
Don’t be at all embarrassed! You stuck with it and found and corrected the source of problem instead of using a band-aid solution (like leaving the axle nut loose) that could have resulted in serious problems. I’d call that a win! Glad to hear it’s fixed properly. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
22 Sep 2011 16:32 - 22 Sep 2011 16:33 #478665 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic Rear wheel tightening?
Right On! You realized something wasn't correct, researched and successfully figured it out... B)

"Too bad a war of wills had to happen in your thread"... Yeah right T... :whistle: :laugh:
Like we're not an opinionated group here... :pinch: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az
Last edit: 22 Sep 2011 16:33 by Old Man Rock.

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
22 Sep 2011 17:04 #478677 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Rear wheel tightening?

mvent wrote:

testarossa wrote: Mike, make sure you don't have your back rotor on the front and vice versa.

This is pretty humbling, but in my haste to get this together, I did have the front rotor on rear :blush: , put the rear rotor on rear and all is well ,front too.
Well I learned not to rush, and that you guys are VERY helpful, maybe someone else will learn from my error.

Thanks again
Mike

yeah theres quite a bit of differance in the offset between the 2 rotors B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

More
22 Sep 2011 18:39 #478720 by jonnybravo
Replied by jonnybravo on topic Rear wheel tightening?
glad u got it, and u gained experience, and experience IS the greatest teacher , in spite of what some may say in the PM's :whistle:
I will mention the photo thing again, If u would have posted a photo of the problem area I dare say that would have been spotted right away,

good luck

More
20 Oct 2012 10:30 #554834 by aundershaft
Replied by aundershaft on topic New guy old post Re: Rear wheel tightening?
MY REAR WHEEL WONT ROLL (SAY THAT TEN TIMES FAST)

I've read these threads thru and thru....I have the same problem right now????

I thought it was the recently rebuilt brake caliper..so to take the brakes out of the equation, I removed the pads from the caliper; tightened down the axle nut and the TIRE WONT SPIN FREELY

Now I've read two things...
1. The #19 spacer in between the #17 bearings (6304Z)should have play in it..i.e. not contacting the #17 bearings
2. Says to have the bearings contact the #19 spacer

Which one is it? I am going nuts... :angry: :angry: :woohoo:

On a side note...I bought this 1978 A2 w mag wheels, looks like the front brakes are from a 79. Rear caliper is a dual disc 78 caliper. On another side side note: I recently cleaned out the tank, rebuilt calipers, cleaned out carbs, new tires, plugs etc...Fired it up for the first time
and it runs unbelievably FINE!!!!!! Would roll alot better if the wheel wasn't dragging.

As of now it appears that the #19 inner hub spacer is making contact w/ #17 bearings.

Any help would be appreciated!!! I am so psyched to get this going!!! Now I just want to ride...
Pic is of scoot when I bought it out of a storage locker
Attachments:

More
20 Oct 2012 11:13 #554840 by 650ed
Think of it in these terms. If you were to tightly clamp the inner race of a motorcycle wheel bearing in a vise it would be stationary but the balls and outer race would still rotate freely around it. When the bearings, spacers, collars, etc. are all properly installed and the axle nut tightened the inner bearing races are stationary but are spaced in a way that no lateral pressure is placed upon the balls. No matter how tight you torque down the axle nut this remains true, so the balls and outer races (plus the attached wheel) will rotate freely. If the wheel will not rotate freely, and if the rear brake has been eliminated from the equation, either the spacers, collars, etc. are not in the proper positions or the bearings are not seated properly in the wheel. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
The following user(s) said Thank You: 531blackbanshee

More
20 Oct 2012 11:51 #554847 by aundershaft
Replied by aundershaft on topic New guy old post Re: Rear wheel tightening?
Ed you are a god...I thank you but I found an answer that no one had (including previous owner). I looked in archives and I found this...

posted on 4-9-2005 at 09:04

Mag wheel models have a washer that goes between the caliper and the spacer,to center the caliper.Get it wroung,the mount can drag on the disc,or cause excessive drag,or even lock up the wheel.

Cyclist Extraordinaire

SOB!!! When I disassembled the rear wheel I put it back in the order I found it...which was WRONG
SO GLAD KZRIDERS was here to HELP!!! To all I thank you!!!!!! Im really happy I didn't beat apart the bearings and wait another week to see whats wrong...YAY!!!!!! I'll keep all uptodate w/ my "barn find". Iz I said in my "new guy" post...1978A2 w/ mags and 3 discs, 9000 miles and runs like a top...I have to address a few minor fixes and it's off to the smoothest highway I can find.

Thanks again Ed and KZ gang... :laugh: