Rear wheel tightening?

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
21 Sep 2011 06:15 #478216 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Rear wheel tightening?
yeah i dont torque the nut on rear wheel down either,i just tighten it as tight as i can get it with my big ol cresent wrench and still get a cotter pin in there.
im not sure what differance leaving brake arm loose makes,ive never had to loosen one to tighten a chain. B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wireman
  • User
More
21 Sep 2011 06:24 #478217 by wireman
just for its and grins i looked up the torque specs for rear wheel it says between 72-101 ft lbs on that nut,id say thats a lot of allowance for what ever the situation may be for each particular bike! :laugh:
if the wheel doesnt spin at 101 lbs try setting your torque wrench to 75 lbs and see if it spins,at 150lbs id be willing to bet that wheel aint gonna budge! :sick:
the bolt will only stretch so much then its going to shove the spacers into the bearings turning it into one giant emergency brake! :woohoo:

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

More
21 Sep 2011 06:27 #478218 by jonnybravo
Replied by jonnybravo on topic Rear wheel tightening?

wireman wrote: just for its and grins i looked up the torque specs for rear wheel it says between 72-101 ft lbs on that nut,id say thats a lot of allowance for what ever the situation may be for each particular bike! :laugh:
if the wheel doesnt spin at 101 lbs try setting your torque wrench to 75 lbs and see if it spins,at 150lbs id be willing to bet that wheel aint gonna budge! :sick:
the bolt will only stretch so much then its going to shove the spacers into the bearings turning it into one giant emergency brake! :woohoo:

EXACTLY ;)

More
21 Sep 2011 08:27 #478228 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic Rear wheel tightening?
Hmmm, not going to get into the torque debate :whistle: but one thing as mentioned, should free spin regardless... That's how it was designed and most likely operated the first five years of her life.

With that said, being an Anal-retentive-A-hole I am :pinch: :blush: resistance/friction equates to heat. Depending on the component, damage can and most likely will happen... I'd sure want to confirm/verify WTF was wrong...

What 78 KZ1000 model for parts look up, look the same as your installation?

Just my 2 worthless cents...

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

• wireman
  • User
More
21 Sep 2011 08:31 #478230 by wireman

Old Man Rock wrote: Hmmm, not going to get into the torque debate :whistle: but one thing as mentioned, should free spin regardless... That's how it was designed and most likely operated the first five years of her life.

With that said, being an Anal-retentive-A-hole I am :pinch: :blush: resistance/friction equates to heat. Depending on the component, damage can and most likely will happen... I'd sure want to confirm/verify WTF was wrong...

What 78 KZ1000 model for parts look up, look the same as your installation?

Just my 2 worthless cents...

wont spin regardless if the damn spacers are shoved into the bearings ! :sick: :woohoo:

More
21 Sep 2011 08:32 #478231 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic Rear wheel tightening?
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Well I guess you just proved my point, SOMETHING IS WRONG HERE.... :laugh:

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

• wireman
  • User
More
21 Sep 2011 08:36 #478232 by wireman
and youre it! :woohoo:

More
21 Sep 2011 09:26 #478240 by jonnybravo
[quote="Old Man Rock" post=478228)

With that said, being an Anal-retentive-A-hole I am :pinch: [/quote]

hmmm, u now qualify for the KZ Rider PLARB Moderator Program :woohoo:

More
21 Sep 2011 09:33 #478243 by mvent
Replied by mvent on topic Rear wheel tightening?

Patton wrote: Were wheel bearings replaced before reassembly?

Yes new bearings, spokes and rims, original hubs, break arm in place but not torqued, could it be the bearings? there was a sleeve if I remember correctly that set location.
Thanks

76 KZ900
76 XLCH
78 KZ1000
04 FLSTFI 120 ci

More
21 Sep 2011 09:33 #478244 by jonnybravo

T_Dub wrote:

jonnybravo wrote:

mvent wrote: 78 KZ1000, have rear wheel centered, chain on, caliper in place, brake arm attached, assembled spacer sequence using manual, must have screwed up because when I tighten castle nut wheel won't spin, what did I do wrong, HELP :angry:
Mike

i HAVE BEEN ADVISED BY A INDY WHO WAS A WRENCH/DEALER for Kawasaki IN THE 70'S ( AND KNOWS these BIKES BACKWARDS AND FORWARDS) TO PAY NO ATTENTION TO THE TORQUE spec, tighten till firm and thats good, worked for me, now the others will slam and advise against, so ...... ur decision

When you torque it down you're torquing an assembly of steel spacers and bearing housings, not torquing it has absolutely no advantage whatsoever. I'm sure the guys at Kawi who wrote the service manuals just arbitrarily made up a torque value, knowing that those experienced 1970's american mechanics would figure it out.

well actually he was certified by Kawasaki as a tech in 73 when the Z1's came out ( and has 40 years experience in the business) so ur condescending attitude is misappropriated, also ur inference or arbitrailly made up values/ American mechanic ??? :whistle: WTF is that all about, and as far as manuals are concerned, they 're all perfect right ???? :blink: :( :silly: :huh:

More
21 Sep 2011 09:46 #478247 by T_Dub
Replied by T_Dub on topic Rear wheel tightening?
Manuals are not all perfect by any means but a for a bolt of that diameter, 100ft-lbs is sweet fuck all. If you can't tighten it without your wheel binding then you have some other issue you better sort out.

1977 KZ650B1
-810cc
-Cavanaugh Racing Head
-Mikuni RS34's
-GPR Muffler

More
21 Sep 2011 09:54 #478251 by jonnybravo
yes sir will do