Rear wheel tightening?

More
21 Sep 2011 23:14 #478480 by jonnybravo
Replied by jonnybravo on topic Rear wheel tightening?

T_Dub wrote: I'm not an internet engineering type, I happen to have a mechanical engineering degree on my wall. Maybe you should go get an education instead of arguing with people about shit you know nothing about.

why attack ??/ its not necessary, u told me u wanted an intelligent, spirited discussion, well thats what we're having, how about this, in the near future i will set up a demonstration, and post a you tube video, in detail, about what i (and others) am saying, it will be TOTALLY COMPLETE with all necessary info, I have spare swingarm, wheel , spacers, axle etc,. but in the interim i would suggest u consult with some of ur former instructors about the specifics of metal fabrication and resistance properties

BTW I dont feel the need to justify my knowledge of metal and fabrication, i lived it for years,

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Sep 2011 23:17 - 21 Sep 2011 23:17 #478482 by jonnybravo

RonKZ650 wrote: I'm having a hard time following your flawed theory on this in your ramblings really. loose the axle and my disc will rub the caliper? OK that is a good one. You are the one saying run "loose". We all say tighten the nut fully. :laugh:

learn to read , the OP said his brake disc was out of alignment, that would suggest irregular rubbing on disc or brake pads, correct ??? o BTW u still havent explained the one castle nut tooth equalss 29 ft lbs of torque yet :lol: :lol:
Last edit: 21 Sep 2011 23:17 by jonnybravo.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
22 Sep 2011 00:28 #478500 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Rear wheel tightening?
Wow, well I hope the OP Mvent gets his bike back on the road, and it is safe and reliable. I think that's what matters here.
I wonder if you did the front wheel at the same time? I did both of mine at the same time. I also like to do both sides of any one axle at the same time, due to design differences it may be only one axle that requires this, like many vehicles.
Let us know how it all works out for you. :)

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
22 Sep 2011 02:06 - 22 Sep 2011 02:06 #478518 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Rear wheel tightening?
jonnybravo wrote "....how about this, in the near future i will set up a demonstration, and post a you tube video, in detail, about what i (and others) am saying, it will be TOTALLY COMPLETE with all necessary info, I have spare swingarm, wheel , spacers, axle etc...."

I am anxiously awaiting the video; please don’t let us down on this as I honestly believe it will be instructive. While making the video please also demonstrate the following: Put a bolt the same size as the rear axle in a vise and tighten a nut on it to 72 foot pounds of torque; then mark a flat on the nut and see how much torque it takes to tighten it 60 additional degrees of rotation. I am curious to see how much total torque it takes to turn the nut 60 degrees past 72 foot pounds. Thanks in advance for your effort to clarify this. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Last edit: 22 Sep 2011 02:06 by 650ed.

More
22 Sep 2011 08:04 #478533 by jonnybravo
no problem as cold weather is coming up soon and I'm out of projects,by near future i mean a couple of months OK

More
22 Sep 2011 08:30 - 22 Sep 2011 08:33 #478536 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic Rear wheel tightening?
"no problem as cold weather is coming"....
Exactly what I was thinking for we haven't had a good flame war in a long time..... :woohoo:

That white crap all over the ground (I forget what you guys call it back east) :pinch: is coming, bikes are being stored away, henceforth you're all bored, back to the forum for some good old fashion war of words..... B)

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az
Last edit: 22 Sep 2011 08:33 by Old Man Rock.

More
22 Sep 2011 09:13 #478542 by T_Dub
Replied by T_Dub on topic Rear wheel tightening?

jonnybravo wrote:

T_Dub wrote: I'm not an internet engineering type, I happen to have a mechanical engineering degree on my wall. Maybe you should go get an education instead of arguing with people about shit you know nothing about.

why attack ??/ its not necessary, u told me u wanted an intelligent, spirited discussion, well thats what we're having, how about this, in the near future i will set up a demonstration, and post a you tube video, in detail, about what i (and others) am saying, it will be TOTALLY COMPLETE with all necessary info, I have spare swingarm, wheel , spacers, axle etc,. but in the interim i would suggest u consult with some of ur former instructors about the specifics of metal fabrication and resistance properties

BTW I dont feel the need to justify my knowledge of metal and fabrication, i lived it for years,

I could ask you the same thing, calling me names since the beginning. I wanted an intelligent, spirited discussion, sure, but you don't understand the basic concept of how this assembly is put together so its a little difficult. I don't need to ask my instructors about anything, they taught me well the first time.

1977 KZ650B1
-810cc
-Cavanaugh Racing Head
-Mikuni RS34's
-GPR Muffler

More
22 Sep 2011 09:25 - 22 Sep 2011 09:28 #478544 by jonnybravo
, thats special ^^^^
c ya

PS, did they give u one of those cool hats with ur "engineer" degree ??? it must be really fun driving a train for a living :woohoo: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edit: 22 Sep 2011 09:28 by jonnybravo.

More
22 Sep 2011 10:17 #478550 by T_Dub
Yup, big steam engines are where its at. Those new fangled electric ones drive themselves almost!

1977 KZ650B1
-810cc
-Cavanaugh Racing Head
-Mikuni RS34's
-GPR Muffler

More
22 Sep 2011 10:27 #478552 by 531blackbanshee
Replied by 531blackbanshee on topic Rear wheel tightening?
tylers right,

johnny's wrong.

leon

skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0

More
22 Sep 2011 10:30 #478554 by mvent
Replied by mvent on topic Rear wheel tightening?
Have the rear wheel off and looking at pictures of rear wheel before I disassembled, spacers in same places, however on rotor side in pic the coupling coller is beyond rotor pad contact area a bit, with collar in place now measuring with a straight edge it is in 3/16", the dimension from where mounting bolts of rotor to contact area is 3/4", is that the proper offset on 78 rear rotor? I did send rotors out for refinishing, hope I got the right one back.

76 KZ900
76 XLCH
78 KZ1000
04 FLSTFI 120 ci

More
22 Sep 2011 10:58 #478557 by T_Dub

531blackbanshee wrote: tylers right,

johnny's wrong.

leon

:) Thanks Leon.

mvent, so are you now pretty sure that the brake is causing the issue? If you want to see whether or not thats what is is you could always take the rotor off, reassemble everything, tighten the axle and see if your problem is still there. Its a bit of work but it'll tell you what's going on for sure. when you're doing this take your chain off too, that way you can make sure that your wheel assembly doesn't have any issues.

1977 KZ650B1
-810cc
-Cavanaugh Racing Head
-Mikuni RS34's
-GPR Muffler