Rear wheel tightening?

More
20 Sep 2011 20:31 #478109 by mvent
Rear wheel tightening? was created by mvent
78 KZ1000, have rear wheel centered, chain on, caliper in place, brake arm attached, assembled spacer sequence using manual, must have screwed up because when I tighten castle nut wheel won't spin, what did I do wrong, HELP :angry:
Mike

76 KZ900
76 XLCH
78 KZ1000
04 FLSTFI 120 ci

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Sep 2011 20:38 #478111 by T_Dub
Replied by T_Dub on topic Rear wheel tightening?
No idea, if the spacres are in the right spot it really should spin. Is the bike in gear?

1977 KZ650B1
-810cc
-Cavanaugh Racing Head
-Mikuni RS34's
-GPR Muffler

More
20 Sep 2011 21:09 #478131 by jonnybravo
Replied by jonnybravo on topic Rear wheel tightening?

mvent wrote: 78 KZ1000, have rear wheel centered, chain on, caliper in place, brake arm attached, assembled spacer sequence using manual, must have screwed up because when I tighten castle nut wheel won't spin, what did I do wrong, HELP :angry:
Mike

i HAVE BEEN ADVISED BY A INDY WHO WAS A WRENCH/DEALER for Kawasaki IN THE 70'S ( AND KNOWS these BIKES BACKWARDS AND FORWARDS) TO PAY NO ATTENTION TO THE TORQUE spec, tighten till firm and thats good, worked for me, now the others will slam and advise against, so ...... ur decision

More
20 Sep 2011 21:16 #478135 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Rear wheel tightening?
Were wheel bearings replaced before reassembly?

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
20 Sep 2011 21:31 #478145 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Rear wheel tightening?
Check the spacer positions, brake alignment, etc. because you should be able to tighten that castle nut until you pop a hernia and still be able to spin the wheel. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
20 Sep 2011 22:09 #478157 by P21
Replied by P21 on topic Rear wheel tightening?
can i ask why rear wheel was removed so we have a starting point?
new bearing? how about spacer for inside chain hub?
need alittle info to better help you.

Kawasaki KZ 1000 Police (2002) P21

More
20 Sep 2011 22:12 #478159 by P21
Replied by P21 on topic Rear wheel tightening?
i forgot old age did you leave brake arm loose when tighting wheel and set brake?

Kawasaki KZ 1000 Police (2002) P21

More
20 Sep 2011 22:16 #478162 by T_Dub

jonnybravo wrote:

mvent wrote: 78 KZ1000, have rear wheel centered, chain on, caliper in place, brake arm attached, assembled spacer sequence using manual, must have screwed up because when I tighten castle nut wheel won't spin, what did I do wrong, HELP :angry:
Mike

i HAVE BEEN ADVISED BY A INDY WHO WAS A WRENCH/DEALER for Kawasaki IN THE 70'S ( AND KNOWS these BIKES BACKWARDS AND FORWARDS) TO PAY NO ATTENTION TO THE TORQUE spec, tighten till firm and thats good, worked for me, now the others will slam and advise against, so ...... ur decision

When you torque it down you're torquing an assembly of steel spacers and bearing housings, not torquing it has absolutely no advantage whatsoever. I'm sure the guys at Kawi who wrote the service manuals just arbitrarily made up a torque value, knowing that those experienced 1970's american mechanics would figure it out.

1977 KZ650B1
-810cc
-Cavanaugh Racing Head
-Mikuni RS34's
-GPR Muffler

More
20 Sep 2011 22:20 - 20 Sep 2011 22:26 #478163 by jonnybravo

T_Dub wrote:

jonnybravo wrote:

Mike

When you torque it down you're torquing an assembly of steel spacers and bearing housings, not torquing it has absolutely no advantage whatsoever. I'm sure the guys at Kawi who wrote the service manuals just arbitrarily made up a torque value, knowing that those experienced 1970's american mechanics would figure it out.

see what I told u
when torqued mine to spec the wheel didnt spin freely, when i followed the advice, all was well, thats all I know , go ahead and slam, I could care less
Last edit: 20 Sep 2011 22:26 by Patton.

More
20 Sep 2011 22:43 - 20 Sep 2011 22:47 #478166 by T_Dub
I'm not slamming anyone. If you torque down your wheel and it doesn't spin freely, then theres something the matter that you should take care of. If you don't torque it down the force in the chain that spins the back wheel can pull the wheel towards the engine, slackening the chain, and most likely causing the wheel to go out of alignment. But its up to you. I torque mine down hard and it spins just fine.

I fail to see how disagreeing with you is slaming. I'm not going around personally insulting you or anything.

1977 KZ650B1
-810cc
-Cavanaugh Racing Head
-Mikuni RS34's
-GPR Muffler
Last edit: 20 Sep 2011 22:47 by Patton.

More
21 Sep 2011 00:05 #478179 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Rear wheel tightening?

T_Dub wrote: I'm not slamming anyone. If you torque down your wheel and it doesn't spin freely, then theres something the matter that you should take care of. If you don't torque it down the force in the chain that spins the back wheel can pull the wheel towards the engine, slackening the chain, and most likely causing the wheel to go out of alignment. But its up to you. I torque mine down hard and it spins just fine.

I fail to see how disagreeing with you is slaming. I'm not going around personally insulting you or anything.

Yea, for the record if torqing the nut has any effect on the wheel spinning freely, stop now and do not ride, because you have assembled something wrong and not safe. Like Ed said, torque to 150ft/lb has no effect whatsoever on the wheel spinning. Stop and figure out what you've done wrong before continue riding.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
21 Sep 2011 05:51 #478208 by jonnybravo
you must be right I'll get right on it :whistle: