Best Place To Have Stator Rewound?

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
16 Sep 2010 06:50 #399077 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Best Place To Have Stator Rewound?
On you LED volt meter, you will need to have it across the battery terminals when permanently installed, so it will require some extra wiring to have it mounted up at the Bars. Then a way to turn it on and off or you will create a very small Key Off current draw.
Second that was a good choice to get that Meter, now you can put it on the wire from the R/R to the Battery + and see how the Amp Current output of the Fifty 3 Phase compares to your draw of 10 Amps. Then Increase the load across the battery with some more electrical Items, spare head light bulb is 1 choice, and watch as the R/R puts out additional Amps. All the while keeping an eye on your volt meter, which needs to be across the battery.
If you remember the test and write up I did on this 3 phase Stator, it should put out 20Amps at max rated output. That is double the load you are showing, so not only should it be capable of keeping up with the system as it is, it should be able to handle additional load, all the while keeping a good battery charged.
Once you swap over the starter you will fix that problem, most likely, it would be unlucky to have two defective starters.
The season is winding down where I live but you would have nearly year round riding there.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Sep 2010 06:59 - 16 Sep 2010 08:04 #399079 by seanof30306
Replied by seanof30306 on topic Best Place To Have Stator Rewound?
Well, not quite year round. There's a guy at work who rides his Honda VR45 all the time. made me feel like kind of a puss, so I decided to ride year-round, too (although not in rain, like he does).

So far, my record is 14 degrees. Once I got the right gear, that wasn't bad. Just need to solve the cold hands and face-shield icing issues.

After feeling like a wimp next to him for a long time, I finally learned he'd been hit with massive back child support payments, and couldn't afford a car, so now I don't feel so bad.

This next month/6 weeks will be the best riding of the year, in my opinion. I prefer fall to spring. I still have my automatic oild changer issue to work on, and more electrical, too, but I've decided to shelve that till the weather gets cold. Right now, I just want to ride!

Automatic oil changer at work:

"That @#$%!!! KZ650"
79 KZ650 B3
Dual front disc brakes
Z1R 18" front wheel
Pumper carbs w/pods
MAC 4-1 w/ drilled-out baffle
Dyna S ignition w/ Dyna Green coils
WG coil mod
'81 CSR charging system
17/41 gearing
Attachments:
Last edit: 16 Sep 2010 08:04 by seanof30306.

More
16 Sep 2010 08:07 - 16 Sep 2010 08:09 #399093 by seanof30306
At idle:

After 10 seconds at 2000 rpm:

"That @#$%!!! KZ650"
79 KZ650 B3
Dual front disc brakes
Z1R 18" front wheel
Pumper carbs w/pods
WG coil mod
'81 CSR charging system
17/41 gearing
Last edit: 16 Sep 2010 08:09 by seanof30306.

• BINJIEU
  • User
  • Always leave 'em smiling!
More
19 Sep 2010 13:45 #400034 by BINJIEU
Replied by BINJIEU on topic Best Place To Have Stator Rewound?
Just checking out this old thread, and seems you are knowledgeable in these maters. I have what seems to be the old style stator and am having trouble getting anybody to reply to my requests to rewind. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I've been working the problem for over a year.

77 KZ650 w/ Dyna S ignition and stock coils
81 BMW r65
91 BMW k100rs 4v
Lakeland, FL.

More
19 Sep 2010 15:15 #400070 by seanof30306
BINJIEU wrote:

Just checking out this old thread, and seems you are knowledgeable in these maters. I have what seems to be the old style stator and am having trouble getting anybody to reply to my requests to rewind. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I've been working the problem for over a year.

Dude,

Thanks for the compliment, but I'm probably the least-knowledgable person on this board, especially when it comes to electrics. Any knowledge I've aquired has come from doing everything wrong, and at least being smart enough to realize it was wrong (after the third or fourth time), and not repeat the behavior.

I got my stator rewound by Rick's Motorsport Electrics: www.ricksmotorsportelectrics.com/

I'm pretty sure RMStator also rewinds them: www.rmstator.com/en/index.htm

There's a new place in Alabama that advertizes they do them, but I'm still waiting for my 3 calls and 2 emails from 3 months ago to be answered, so I'd be a little leery of them.

Before you have a stator rewound, or put any other parts on it, though, I think you should do some testing and be SURE that's what you need. As the proud owner of 6 stators, 6 RRs, and 4 batteries for my beautiful, red, classic @#$%^&!!! KZ650, my experience alone should show how important that is.

Do you have a manual? I'd definitely reccomend you get both the Cly mer manual and the factory service manual (FSM) for your bike.

Also, your sig says your bike is a '77 model, so your chaging is different from mine (or should be)

There has been a lot of drama and hard feelings in this thread, and you don't want solving your problem to get attached to it. I'd suggest you start your own thread, and detail the problems you're having. Put the year model in the title, so people know what they're dealing with right up front.

My only other advice is this. Start with the battery. Once you know it is good, move on to the stator. Once you know it is putting out what it should, move on the the RR (regulator/rectifier). Once you know it is putting out what it should, then move into the wiring harness.

I spent three years going at this with a scattershot approach, and spent hundreds and hundreds of unnecessary dollars doing so. Now, whatever the problem was that was eating batteries, stators, RRs, and leaving me beside the road every 400 miles appears to be resolved, but since I can only assume (hope) it was resolved by one of the myriad repairs we did to the bike, I have no confidence that it's not a transient problem which will reappear and eat more expensive parts and/or strand me out in the middle of nowhere.

Finally, if you can find a member who is more knowledgable who is close to you, by all means go see him. jjdwoodman was kind enough to give me a few hours of his time, and it made all the difference in the world. MotorHead, for example, has tried and tried to offer me help, but I don't understand what he's saying most of the time, and he has yet found a way to dumb it down enough to make sense to me. With jjdwoodman showing me, though, much of it made immediate sense.

Good Luck!

PS: Bill Wilcox is a major electrical guru, and he has a '77 model. When you start your thread, I'd suggest you PM him a link to it and ask for his help. He'll definitely give it.

"That @#$%!!! KZ650"
79 KZ650 B3
Dual front disc brakes
Z1R 18" front wheel
Pumper carbs w/pods
WG coil mod
'81 CSR charging system
17/41 gearing

More
03 Oct 2010 18:59 #403888 by seanof30306
OK, so I left the bike on the Battery Tender Jr. for a day, till the light stayed green.

Then i started the experiment .... no battery tender, and see what she does.

I've ridden it to work and around town to the tune of 147 miles (so far).

0 problems. It starts every time, and at anything over 2,000 rpm, the battery monitor remains lit.

I've let it sit for up to 5 days (no Battery tender Jr), and while it spins just a touch slow, it starts right up.

My zero barrier is 400 miles. In over three years of ownership, the bike has never gone that far without eating a charging system.

I'm going for the record; wish me luck!

On the downside, I put the bike on the centerstand and was getting off of it at work yesterday. I have a soft-sided cooler I carry my lunch and dinner in held onto the back seat with a cargo net, so I couldn't just swing a leg to get off. I realized I'd parked too close to the bike next to me to get off on the left side, as I normally do, so i dismounted on the right side.

Somehow, I got my trailing leg tangled up when I was getting off and pulled the bike over; right in front of a hot cocktail waitress.

Skinned my knees and hands up, broke the front brake lever, and oddly, bent the track of the arm that holds the seat opened.

And the hot chick tried to hide it, but she was laughing pretty hard.

It never ends

Oh well ......

"That @#$%!!! KZ650"
79 KZ650 B3
Dual front disc brakes
Z1R 18" front wheel
Pumper carbs w/pods
WG coil mod
'81 CSR charging system
17/41 gearing

More
03 Oct 2010 19:07 #403893 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Best Place To Have Stator Rewound?
Could have been worse. With my luck the bike would have pinned me under it and the hot chick would have stolen my wallet and walked away laughing. :laugh:

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
04 Oct 2010 00:57 - 04 Oct 2010 01:01 #403940 by seanof30306
650ed wrote:

Could have been worse. With my luck the bike would have pinned me under it and the hot chick would have stolen my wallet and walked away laughing. :laugh:

Oh, and I scratched the pretty red paint on the tailpiece.

It's caused me to make a decision, though.

I RIDE this bike (hopefully) as daily transportation. The nice paintjob I put on it got screwed up early, and keeps getting screwed up.

Now, I'm sure part of it is me. I'm accident-prone (small ones, not big ones), as proven by the initial fuel spill on the tank and my dumping the bike in the parking lot yesterday.

I'm also a little unlucky. Just check all the threads on this bike if you don't believe me! This tank has gotten dinged three different times at mechanic's shops.

From here on out, I'm not worrying about pretty. There are still things I want to do to make it cooler, like eliminating the rear fender, putting on the 18" Z1R wheel I have, etc., but no more expensive shiny paint jobs. It's like they're a magnet for damage. The old paint job never got screwed up, but once I painted it, every time I turned around something else happened to it.

The other thing I've noticed from riding it is I'm really not satisfied with the battery gauge I have. I'm sure I'm paranoid from all the problems I've had, but it's just not precise enough for me.

I've decided I'm going to go with a digital voltmeter.

www.cyclemaxohio.com/inc/sdetail/4231

digitalmeter.com also has one, but their site is down right now. Here's the link to it. www.digitalmeter.com/cgi-bin/webshop.cgi?config=ent-datel

What would be really cool would be to mount it inside the tach, but I don't know if there's room in there.

Barring that, I'm looking for other ways to mount it. Does anyone have any suggestions?

It's dimensions are: 1 1/4" x 7/8"

"That @#$%!!! KZ650"
79 KZ650 B3
Dual front disc brakes
Z1R 18" front wheel
Pumper carbs w/pods
WG coil mod
'81 CSR charging system
17/41 gearing
Attachments:
Last edit: 04 Oct 2010 01:01 by seanof30306.