Coil Mod

More
24 May 2010 18:05 #370595 by otakar
Replied by otakar on topic Coil Mod
Yes the Accel coils work and mount very nicely, the problem is that you loose about 25% of the spark voltage over the Dyna due to the fact that they are 4 Ohm. The Dyna coils are really great for the J series bikes but they suck for the earlier bikes for mounting and cable arrangement.

74 Z1-A stock
76 KZ-900 Totaly stock vice MAC pipe
77 KZ-1000A stock
78 Z1-R 100%MINT 500 original Mi.
78 Z1-R Yoshi 1103 kit stage 1 cams Yoshi pipe. Etc
79 KZ-1300 (1400)
80 KZ-1300
81 Scratch built GPz1150R
82 KZ1000

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 May 2010 18:13 #370598 by ken
Replied by ken on topic Coil Mod
otakar wrote:

Yes it is the green coils. Plus you will require a set of coil wires. Just remember that the wires are wire kits you will have to crimp and assemble the coil ends. you can PM me about the wires before you buy any.

Ok, I'll start shopping for the dyna s since Z1 is out of stock. Any idea where I should check first?

More
24 May 2010 18:27 #370599 by keith1
Replied by keith1 on topic Coil Mod
otakar wrote:

Yes the Accel coils work and mount very nicely, the problem is that you loose about 25% of the spark voltage over the Dyna due to the fact that they are 4 Ohm. The Dyna coils are really great for the J series bikes but they suck for the earlier bikes for mounting and cable arrangement.

here is a set of 3ohm accel coils and wires.....3ohm...
www.schnitzracingstore.com/catalogs/cata...28277&showprevnext=1

More
24 May 2010 18:31 - 24 May 2010 18:34 #370600 by keith1
Replied by keith1 on topic Coil Mod
dyna s ignition for 3 ohm coils....
www.denniskirk.com/jsp/product_catalog/P...oogle&utm_medium=cse

they are out there....just have to search...good luck....
Last edit: 24 May 2010 18:34 by keith1.

More
24 May 2010 19:55 - 24 May 2010 19:56 #370648 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Coil Mod
ken wrote:

Well I used an ohmmeter and I do have power on the points at the leaf spring when the points are opened.

Continuity test with ohmmeter at points should be done with ignition switch in OFF position.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 24 May 2010 19:56 by Patton.

More
24 May 2010 20:24 #370658 by otakar
Replied by otakar on topic Coil Mod
Just call Z1E and ask them how long they will be out. They are never out very long on anything as long as it is available.

74 Z1-A stock
76 KZ-900 Totaly stock vice MAC pipe
77 KZ-1000A stock
78 Z1-R 100%MINT 500 original Mi.
78 Z1-R Yoshi 1103 kit stage 1 cams Yoshi pipe. Etc
79 KZ-1300 (1400)
80 KZ-1300
81 Scratch built GPz1150R
82 KZ1000

More
24 May 2010 20:47 #370670 by ken
Patton wrote:

ken wrote:

Well I used an ohmmeter and I do have power on the points at the leaf spring when the points are opened.

Continuity test with ohmmeter at points should be done with ignition switch in OFF position.

Patton, I did have the kill switch off. It was really wierd. At one point there would be juice on both points, both side while open. I would start her up, turn it back off and then one of the two would have juice while open. Thought maybe there's a a relay or something not opening or closing.

More
24 May 2010 21:07 #370673 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Coil Mod
ken wrote:

Patton wrote:

ken wrote:

Patton, I did have the kill switch off. It was really wierd. At one point there would be juice on both points, both side while open. I would start her up, turn it back off and then one of the two would have juice while open. Thought maybe there's a a relay or something not opening or closing.

There's not supposed to be any voltage at points while ohmmeter testing for continuity.

If there's voltage at points with ignition switch OFF, then something's wrong with the wiring.

Could detach one battery cable from its terminal to assure no voltage at points while ohmmeter testing for (1) continuity between spring and case with points closed, and (2) no continuity between spring and case with points open.

This will help assure points are doing their job. And that the fiber washers are properly insulating.

Then can separately address whether voltage is reaching points when it's not supposed to.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
24 May 2010 21:24 - 24 May 2010 21:38 #370677 by ken
Patton wrote:

ken wrote:

Patton wrote:

ken wrote:

There's not supposed to be any voltage at points while ohmmeter testing for continuity.

If there's voltage at points with ignition switch OFF, then something's wrong with the wiring.

Could detach one battery cable from its terminal to assure no voltage at points while ohmmeter testing for (1) continuity between spring and case with points closed, and (2) no continuity between spring and case with points open.

This will help assure points are doing their job. And that the fiber washers are properly insulating.

Then can separately address whether voltage is reaching points when it's not supposed to.

I'll try this, after I get a new meter.
Last edit: 24 May 2010 21:38 by ken.

More
25 May 2010 08:07 #370754 by ken
ken wrote:

Patton wrote:

ken wrote:

Patton wrote:

ken wrote:

I'll try this, after I get a new meter.

Well, I disconnected the battery/kill switch off and I do have a continuity on one of the points with it opened. I don't think it the fiber washer as the issue moves between points. :dry: Could there be a short in the wiring somewhere? Keep in mind it runs good up to the point the plugs foul.

More
25 May 2010 08:08 #370755 by ken
otakar wrote:

Just call Z1E and ask them how long they will be out. They are never out very long on anything as long as it is available.

They told me next week or so.

More
25 May 2010 09:02 #370773 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Coil Mod
The Accel coils are available in 3-ohm. At least the half dozen or so that I have are 3-ohms.