Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Mikuni VM 33 Carbs 30 Nov 2016 06:31 #749169

• SWest
  • SWest's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2621
Works great. The bike is more aggressive and pulls away quicker. Only problem is the grip started turning. The cable is too long so it has too much drag. I have a shorter one I took off. I might send this one back to the eBay seller with a note. :evil: I bought it as a spare so when I found it was too long, it was too late. :angry: I check everything I buy now as soon as I get it. Most are good people but there are some that aren't. Buyer beware.
Steve

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Mikuni VM 33 Carbs 30 Nov 2016 17:44 #749205

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
The cable is SIX INCHES longer. :angry: Got the carbs off and will check the float levels in the morning. Going for a ride tomorrow to the high desert again and will stop by Chaparral for a new face shield. Getting too cold to ride without one. B)
Steve
BTW, if anyone needs a extra long throttle cable, I'll let you have it cheap. Still in good shape but it's too Flipping LONG. :angry: :angry: :woohoo:

Mikuni VM 33 Carbs 01 Dec 2016 08:35 #749235

• daveo
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 633
Cable?
How's the float levels...do you check them using the clear-tube method?

My new/used RS34's developed a consistent drip off the drain on #1 carb bowl when the bike is resting on the side-stand, so I need to check into cause of that. It is either the fuel-valve O-ring isn't sealing, or may need to adjust the float heights from 17 mm to 18 mm +.

I noticed some scale deposits on the O-ring surface of the fuel-valve bores, and maybe I didn't clean that up well enough.
The clear-tube level check showed the #1 carb fuel is higher than the RS36's, which may be the culprit. Whatever, I should be able to rule out if its the O-ring if there is no fuel still dripping when the bike is vertical, sitting on the center-stand.

Runs better with 34's...
:)

Update : No fuel dripping while vertically positioned on the center-stand for a day, so apparently the float heights need adjusting.
1982 KZ1100-A2

Last edit: by daveo. Reason: update

Mikuni VM 33 Carbs 01 Dec 2016 09:30 #749238

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
Found one of the long nipples was cracked. Cut and rethreaded it. Going on a ride and will check everything out more when I get back.
Steve

Mikuni VM 33 Carbs 01 Dec 2016 18:47 #749260

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
Changing the cable made a lot of difference. Throttle much easier. I can tell it's lean just off idle. When I get home I'll raise the needles one notch. The bike runs great otherwise. :woohoo:
A flipping cold ride so I stopped at Chaparral for a face shield and some warm gloves. The shield I had before I'd carry in a side box. I lost it one time when I forgot to latch it. I found it but it happened again and it was gone for good. :( Why I had it in the box during the summer was just plain STUPID. :angry: Anyway this helmet has other attachments like a LED brake light in the back of the helmet. Really cool.
www.chaparral-racing.com/product/gmax-gm...kit/131-72-3567.aspx
I also ordered a jaw set for cold weather riding. I'll have it in a few days. $15 :)

With the face shield and gloves it was a lot warmer. Cold ride tomorrow and I'll be ready. B)
Steve
Attachments:

Last edit: by SWest.

Mikuni VM 33 Carbs 03 Dec 2016 20:49 #749401

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
The throttle is working much better..
Steve

Mikuni VM 33 Carbs 03 Dec 2016 23:21 #749404

• daveo
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 633

swest wrote: The throttle is working much better..
Steve

YOWZA dude! :woohoo:
1982 KZ1100-A2

Mikuni VM 33 Carbs 02 Jan 2017 10:06 #751163

• Jonny
  • User
  • woot!
  • Thank you received: 22
I hope I am not highjacking here, but I am curious about whether or not there is much of a market for VM33's. I've read through this whole thread, and get the feel that at least Steve is having success with them.

I mainly ask because I seem to have inherited a set with a parts 650 I picked up a couple of months ago. As soon as I can get it organized, I will post some photos, to confirm what they are. I reckon somebody else can let me know if I have it wrong anyway.

The plan had been just to tidy them up for sale, as they are far too big for any of my bikes, and it seems they have some intrinsic value. If the OP was suggesting they can be worth $250-300 USD, then it is worth the time to clean them up and sell them off. (Or, as always for fair prize to a fellow KZer.)

Pics soon,

Cheers,
Jon
'78 KZ 650C2 'Lila'
'71 Norton Commando 750 'Eadie'

St. Catharines, ON (Mostly, anyway...)

Mikuni VM 33 Carbs 02 Jan 2017 11:15 #751165

• JOE MKII
  • User
  • Thank you received: 25
Semi hi-jack maybe :ohmy:

They seem to sell quickly on flea bay for around $300.00 give or take.
They were once THE carbs to use, many moons ago…..
I believe its called "Oppositional Defiance Disorder"

Mikuni VM 33 Carbs 02 Jan 2017 12:02 #751169

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014

Jonny wrote: I hope I am not highjacking here, but I am curious about whether or not there is much of a market for VM33's. I've read through this whole thread, and get the feel that at least Steve is having success with them.

I mainly ask because I seem to have inherited a set with a parts 650 I picked up a couple of months ago. As soon as I can get it organized, I will post some photos, to confirm what they are. I reckon somebody else can let me know if I have it wrong anyway.

The plan had been just to tidy them up for sale, as they are far too big for any of my bikes, and it seems they have some intrinsic value. If the OP was suggesting they can be worth $250-300 USD, then it is worth the time to clean them up and sell them off. (Or, as always for fair prize to a fellow KZer.)

Pics soon,

Cheers,
Jon

I don't mind. Put up some pics before you spend any money on them. B)
Steve

Mikuni VM 33 Carbs 02 Jan 2017 14:40 #751182

• Jonny
  • User
  • woot!
  • Thank you received: 22
Thanks all for helping with the identification.

The photos aren't great, as they are just off my cell phone, but I think they are at least sufficiently good to figure out what these are.

They've clearly been modified for vacuum ports by somebody, which among a couple other things suggested to me that they were maybe the VM33s, which as per earlier did not come with synching ports. I did check the bore diameter quickly at the fellows house, and I seem to remember it being a touch OVER 33mm, but not an awful lot. I currently have then soaking in some hot soapy water to clean them up at least a little before moving on.

If this isn't enough info for a good identification, then let me know, and I can take some more photos or look for other distinguishing marks.

Thanks in advance,

Jon
'78 KZ 650C2 'Lila'
'71 Norton Commando 750 'Eadie'

St. Catharines, ON (Mostly, anyway...)
Attachments:

Last edit: by Jonny.

Mikuni VM 33 Carbs 02 Jan 2017 15:15 #751183

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
Yup, just like mine.
Steve