turbo time....

More
28 Dec 2012 18:33 #565011 by Lorcan
Replied by Lorcan on topic turbo time....
The stock bike was 112hp claimed (by Kawasaki) at the crank. In reality this was around 95-98hp at the rear wheel. So 235hp is a 150% increase in power. The engine can actually make more than this, but to contain it for long enough to reach 210+mph means running it for around 30 seconds wide open. This might not sound like a lot, but try counting it. 1 elephant, 2 elephant...etc :laugh:

To make an air-cooled engine survive this you need (IMO) forged pistons (provided by Wiseco), a sufficiently rich and high octane air/fuel mix (around 10.5:1 and 120+ octane in this case) and a reasonably cool inlet charge (provided by the large intercooler). Air cooling of the engine itself is not a major concern, although it will get very hot you will run out of space before it melts itself if everything else is correct.

760cc - 8.69@162mph
810cc, 211mph www.750turbo.com
www.stormdragbike.com

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• lushbaugh
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • everybodys a pro......
More
28 Dec 2012 18:50 #565012 by lushbaugh
Replied by lushbaugh on topic turbo time....

Lorcan wrote: The stock bike was 112hp claimed (by Kawasaki) at the crank. In reality this was around 95-98hp at the rear wheel. So 235hp is a 150% increase in power. The engine can actually make more than this, but to contain it for long enough to reach 210+mph means running it for around 30 seconds wide open. This might not sound like a lot, but try counting it. 1 elephant, 2 elephant...etc :laugh:

To make an air-cooled engine survive this you need (IMO) forged pistons (provided by Wiseco), a sufficiently rich and high octane air/fuel mix (around 10.5:1 and 120+ octane in this case) and a reasonably cool inlet charge (provided by the large intercooler). Air cooling of the engine itself is not a major concern, although it will get very hot you will run out of space before it melts itself if everything else is correct.

all i can say is wow. very nice work its a beautiful bike. and very impressive power even if its forced induction 810ccs putting down that kind of power is just sick.

79 kz1000 ltd all apart
the best advice i can give is dont take dnthavakawmans advice..

More
29 Dec 2012 20:28 - 29 Dec 2012 20:30 #565097 by Lorcan
This is the view from the other side. I modified the plenum to feed from the right instead of the left to give the shortest path from the intercooler, which was as thick and as big as would physically fit. Hayabusa rear wheel with 180 tyre.

760cc - 8.69@162mph
www.stormdragbike.com
Last edit: 29 Dec 2012 20:30 by Lorcan.

More
30 Dec 2012 00:25 #565119 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic turbo time....
Fantastic job of the GPZ turbo, however I would say turbo for street riding is a big :sick: :sick: :sick: I tried it once, tried it twice, then as if I didn't learn, tried it one more time. Oh well three strikes. Every time I read the turbo threads, I'm thankful my 3 strikes are gone to never return in this damn life for sure. ;)

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
30 Dec 2012 03:02 #565137 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic turbo time....
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

• lushbaugh
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • everybodys a pro......
More
31 Dec 2012 13:18 #565257 by lushbaugh
Replied by lushbaugh on topic turbo time....
ron what did you hate about turbos so much lol

79 kz1000 ltd all apart
the best advice i can give is dont take dnthavakawmans advice..

More
31 Dec 2012 13:21 #565258 by Lorcan
He never rode a good one :)

760cc - 8.69@162mph
www.stormdragbike.com
The following user(s) said Thank You: wireman, Street Fighter LTD

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
More
31 Dec 2012 13:47 #565269 by Street Fighter LTD
Replied by Street Fighter LTD on topic turbo time....

Lorcan wrote: He never rode a good one :)

You Tell it Lorcan !!! ;) ;)
My experience with Turbocharging has been very positive. :cheer: :cheer:
Ride it coast to coast , Put in good fuel and turn up the boost and go racing , Then ride it home without burning down a high compression normally aspirated motor. ASk the guys I rode the RELAY with here in Michigan. Fast, Can Tour with it and reliable ( other than flat tire LOL )..
OH And A Very Happy New Year to all you Gear Heads B) B) B) B)

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: wireman

More
31 Dec 2012 13:58 #565272 by les holt
Replied by les holt on topic turbo time....
Streetfighter, are you running a boost controlled fuel pressure regulator and what kind of boost you run on pump gas?

Les

• Street Fighter LTD
More
31 Dec 2012 14:18 #565278 by Street Fighter LTD

les holt wrote: Streetfighter, are you running a boost controlled fuel pressure regulator and what kind of boost you run on pump gas?

Les

Shhhhh !! Its a secret :whistle:
To be honest I dont boost the motor ( WOT ) for much longer than a few seconds , as thats all I ever need to on the street to pass anyone foolish enough to run against me , Or to get my blood flowing at a very high rate LOL.
Run a Holly Blue pump at 3.5 psi. and run premium pump gas all the time, unless I know my son will be riding it and out looking for trouble, Than I run Turbo Blue Fuel.
I have the accelerator pump setup to come on very quickly to keep the mixture FAT.
I give up the ragged edge of tuning the bike for peak performance as I want the motor to last a long time so Jetting and all fuel input is set up Fat I guess its all personal , but I ask myself. How Fast Do I Need To Be ??? Answer is Fast enough to have fun and stay out front
Happy New Year My Friend

Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn

• Street Fighter LTD
More
31 Dec 2012 14:39 #565280 by Street Fighter LTD
Just looked and forgot to answer all the question .LOL
No boost sensing fuel regulator but would be nice..
Run 15 to 20 pounds of boost for no more than 5 to 10 seconds at a time , or thru 2nd and hit 3rd gear shift. Have hit close to 30 pounds of boost during some Banzai passes or on dyno at local college and thank God didnt hurt anything

More
31 Dec 2012 14:51 #565283 by les holt
Replied by les holt on topic turbo time....
2nd and 3rd on short wheel base making 20# boost, got to be a rush!
Thanks for the info, working on mine again and can't decide I'm going use a pressure sensitive regulator.

Les