KZ1K'S MOTOR

• DoubleDub
  • Visitor
21 Sep 2010 18:14 #400697 by DoubleDub
Replied by DoubleDub on topic KZ1K'S MOTOR
I'm pretty sure what Ed's trying to say is that the electrical system on these bikes (even though it is 12v) isn't built to handle the amperage of a truck/car battery/alternator system.

Be very careful hooking up that kind of power to these bikes, in fact, I would get a 12v/2a charger instead.

As before...Harbor Freight is your friend ;)

12v 2/6amp charger: www.harborfreight.com/2-6-amp-6-12-volt-...y-charger-45005.html

Oh, and if you look around, there are almost always 20% off coupons available for Harbor Freight.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• kz1k
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • You Cant Fix Stupid!
More
21 Sep 2010 18:19 #400702 by kz1k
Replied by kz1k on topic KZ1K'S MOTOR
DoubleDub wrote:

I'm pretty sure what Ed's trying to say is that the electrical system on these bikes (even though it is 12v) isn't built to handle the amperage of a truck/car battery/alternator system.

Be very careful hooking up that kind of power to these bikes, in fact, I would get a 12v/2a charger instead.

12v 2/6amp charger: www.harborfreight.com/2-6-amp-6-12-volt-...y-charger-45005.html

Oh, and if you look around, there are almost always 20% off coupons available for Harbor Freight.

awesome...thanks:woohoo: . here goes the spending spree..:dry:

1978 KZ1000A2

"JUST IN! A MAN WHO HOLDS THE WORLD RECORD FOR USING THE MOST DRUGS DIES TODAY. HE WAS WAS ATTACKED BY A PACK OF WILD DOGS HE THOUGHT HE SAW"

WHY FART AND WASTE IT, WHEN YOU CAN BURP AND TASTE IT?

More
21 Sep 2010 18:22 #400704 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic KZ1K'S MOTOR
see if the parts store has a leak down detector they will rent out B)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

• 9am53
  • User
  • homebrew, and some bbq
More
21 Sep 2010 19:05 #400737 by 9am53
Replied by 9am53 on topic KZ1K'S MOTOR
kz1k wrote:

DoubleDub wrote:

awesome...thanks:woohoo: . here goes the spending spree..:dry:

Spending spree? You haven't even done anything yet!!! lol wait till you open the engine up

• kz1k
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • You Cant Fix Stupid!
More
21 Sep 2010 19:25 #400740 by kz1k
i asked...no, i might try some other places.PLUMMEN wrote:

see if the parts store has a leak down detector they will rent out B)

1978 KZ1000A2

"JUST IN! A MAN WHO HOLDS THE WORLD RECORD FOR USING THE MOST DRUGS DIES TODAY. HE WAS WAS ATTACKED BY A PACK OF WILD DOGS HE THOUGHT HE SAW"

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
21 Sep 2010 19:39 - 21 Sep 2010 20:03 #400745 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic KZ1K'S MOTOR
OK no doubt that a Leak Down Tester will be the best, but it will just show you that you have something like 80% or so leakage. You will still need to find out where the worst of the compression loss is, just use your air compressor. Turn the motor to first line up the #1 piston to the top of its stroke, there are marks on the timing advancer that will line up, under the cover on the right hand side of the engine, 2 screws about 4" in diameter. So these marks will line up while the piston is up, to confirm if it is the Firing Position and not the overlap, where both valves would be open instead of closed, while turning keep a finger over the plug hole. You should feel the pressure building, Also since you Had the valve cover off you should be able to see that the cam lobes are not facing downward, but outward instead, then line up the marks. Once that is done, and the mark is on "T" this is TDC Top Dead Center. Now if you scored the Feeler gauges check the valve clearance, or just see if you can rotate the shim/ lifter assy with your fingers to see if it is loose or tight. Next use your compressed air, with a rubber tipped blow gun, pressure the cylinder. You may find a friend to help, then listen to the exhaust, then the Intake, then remove the oil filler cap and listen there. Now add some, 1 teaspoon of , oil to the cylinder and repeat. Then move on to the next in the firing order, 1243, 1 on the left to 4 on the right, turning the crankshaft by hand with the 17mm nut at the advancer 180 degrees each time. Keep going till all 4 are done, dry and wet. You will not get a gauge reading but you will find out where the majority is leaking. Then you will know, if it sounds like a lot of air is escaping from intake/ exhaust/ rings.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...
Last edit: 21 Sep 2010 20:03 by Motor Head. Reason: Altering text

• testarossa
  • User
  • Attack life, it's only trying to kill you.
More
21 Sep 2010 21:29 #400753 by testarossa
Replied by testarossa on topic KZ1K'S MOTOR
kz1k wrote:

when i turn the motor bu kicking the bike i hear air comming from the carbs. i put my hand over them and can feel the air comming out. arent they sopposed to suck air in, not blow air out?

Air being exhausted through the carbs tells me that you have a valve clearance or cam timing issue. No leakdown tester necessary, yet. I would check the cam timing per the service manual first. Then check valve clearances. You are spinning your wheels until you verify those two things.

1978 KZ1000 A2 Click--->Build Thread
2004 ZX-10R
2007 Harley Sportster 1200
2020 Harley Street Glide Special
Angola, IN

• kzz1p
  • User
  • One Test Is Worth A Thousand Expert Opinions!
More
21 Sep 2010 22:15 #400763 by kzz1p
Replied by kzz1p on topic KZ1K'S MOTOR
Since no one has X Ray glasses and we are guessing, I'll take two guesses.

I do not believe you would have tight valves on four cylinders at once. I do not believe you would have bad rings on four cylinders at once.

1) However I do believe you could have cam timing issues(past or present). This would account for the low compression.

2) Four sets of slightly bent valves. This can happen from improper cam timing or a broken center pin on the crank.

Who knows? We took an engine(Z1) a part last year, and it had a 410 shot gun shell, inside the cylinder. Crazy stuff has been known to happen.

• kz1k
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • You Cant Fix Stupid!
More
22 Sep 2010 05:13 #400797 by kz1k
ok, so ill check the timing, and then my valve clearance. time to find the timing section in my online manual.

1978 KZ1000A2

• kz1k
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • You Cant Fix Stupid!
More
22 Sep 2010 05:39 - 22 Sep 2010 05:57 #400802 by kz1k
hi guys. i only have the online pdf manual right now. i found where the valve clearence page is, but i cant find the timing info. anyone gatta link, or maybe you can tell me where to look? thanks joe.

1978 KZ1000A2

Last edit: 22 Sep 2010 05:57 by kz1k.

• kz1k
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • You Cant Fix Stupid!
More
22 Sep 2010 05:49 - 22 Sep 2010 05:55 #400806 by kz1k
i read somewhere you need to count the links or something?

1978 KZ1000A2

Attachments:
Last edit: 22 Sep 2010 05:55 by kz1k.

• kz1k
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • You Cant Fix Stupid!
More
22 Sep 2010 05:50 #400807 by kz1k

1978 KZ1000A2

Attachments: