• kz1k
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • You Cant Fix Stupid!
More
22 Sep 2010 18:43 #401011 by kz1k
Replied by kz1k on topic KZ1K'S MOTOR
porchev914 wrote:

Pitstop is in florida too...... I know money is tight, but your not likely to get her running without spending a few bucks ;)

so you recommend having them done? i saw a lot of things on the list that no average "joe" could do in his garage without the machinery. i thought it may have been dooable myself, but with that description, no.

whats it cost to have them done? and does that pertain to everything listed above in your post?

1978 KZ1000A2

"JUST IN! A MAN WHO HOLDS THE WORLD RECORD FOR USING THE MOST DRUGS DIES TODAY. HE WAS WAS ATTACKED BY A PACK OF WILD DOGS HE THOUGHT HE SAW"

WHY FART AND WASTE IT, WHEN YOU CAN BURP AND TASTE IT?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
22 Sep 2010 18:48 #401017 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic KZ1K'S MOTOR
You need to pull the cylinder block off of the pistons for Inspection next. You may be able to hone the cylinders and replace the piston rings yourself. The valve job, to be done correctly will require special tools that would not be worth buying for 1 job.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
22 Sep 2010 18:52 #401021 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic KZ1K'S MOTOR
kz1k wrote:

PLUMMEN wrote:

getting it apart is easy take a 3/4" deep socket and an extension youre not partial to.
stick the socket on top of the retainer and smack the extension with a hammer ,make sure to get all the split keepers 2 on each valve.
once you push the valve out of the head use a pair of needle nose pliers to remove the seal,carefull not to gouge the guides.
once the seals are out you can flip the head over and bottem retainers can come out. B)

i take it this is a temperary way to remove my bottom retainers..aka as valves? i will need a aacual tool to get them back in with right?

i friend of mine, not part of kzr...told me not to remove the valves. he said i can tell if they are bent or not by looking and seeing of they are seated. he said if they were bent light would shine through. he said getting them back in is torture and loosing keepers is normal.

is he full of crap or what?

that head needs to come apart period for a thorough cleaning/inspection at a minimum.
if you want to see if the valves are sealing flip the head so the intake or exhuast ports are pointing up in the air.fill the ports full of solvent,even water wouldnt hurt it at this point i dont think.
take an air nozzle and blow around the edge of valve and valve seat,look for bubbles in the port as you do each valve.
now flip head and repeat process on other valves/ports B)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
22 Sep 2010 18:56 #401027 by PLUMMEN
kz1k wrote:

porchev914 wrote:

Pitstop is in florida too...... I know money is tight, but your not likely to get her running without spending a few bucks ;)

so you recommend having them done? i saw a lot of things on the list that no average "joe" could do in his garage without the machinery. i thought it may have been dooable myself, but with that description, no.

whats it cost to have them done? and does that pertain to everything listed above in your post?

the more grunt work /dirty work you can do yourself the better normally,easier it is on the shop the easier on your wallet B)
taking the head apart and cleaning things up is not rocket science by any means.
id suggest Larry cavanaugh myself ,but thats just my opinion B)

More
22 Sep 2010 19:04 #401035 by PLUMMEN
oh yeah,a drill press is also a good way to remove/install valve springs if you have access too one B)

• DoubleDub
  • Visitor
22 Sep 2010 19:08 #401037 by DoubleDub
Replied by DoubleDub on topic KZ1K'S MOTOR
PLUMMEN wrote:

oh yeah,a drill press is also a good way to remove/install valve springs if you have access too one B)

Just keep your finger away from the on-off switch!!! :woohoo: :blink: :dry:

• DoubleDub
  • Visitor
22 Sep 2010 19:09 #401038 by DoubleDub
PLUMMEN wrote:

]the more grunt work /dirty work you can do yourself the better normally,easier it is on the shop the easier on your wallet B)
taking the head apart and cleaning things up is not rocket science by any means.

Great point! And it might be obvious when the valves are out if they are bent or not.

More
22 Sep 2010 19:12 #401041 by PLUMMEN
DoubleDub wrote:

PLUMMEN wrote:

Just keep your finger away from the on-off switch!!! :woohoo: :blink: :dry:

yeah you just want to compress the springs,not machine the valves! :laugh:

More
22 Sep 2010 19:13 #401043 by PLUMMEN
DoubleDub wrote:

PLUMMEN wrote:

]the more grunt work /dirty work you can do yourself the better normally,easier it is on the shop the easier on your wallet B)

Great point! And it might be obvious when the valves are out if they are bent or not.

ive learned all the important things in life by taking stuff apart! :woohoo:

• DoubleDub
  • Visitor
22 Sep 2010 19:20 #401045 by DoubleDub
I kept meaning to mention, the camshaft installation section of your manual should have the information regarding timing of the camshafts to the crankshaft.

• kz1k
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • You Cant Fix Stupid!
More
22 Sep 2010 19:43 #401051 by kz1k
Replied by kz1k on topic KZ1K'S MOTOR
ok how does this sound....?

ill get new piston rings and clean the pistons.

then buy valves, springs, guids, and retaining clips.

hone the cylinders.

buy a gasket kit.

and do all the work myself? if there is something you think is nesessary, or not, feel free to comment. i really dont want to send my stuff out. $$$ is an issue for me if i wanna ride my first bike within a reasonable time frame....lemme know and thank you all for your advice.

1978 KZ1000A2

"JUST IN! A MAN WHO HOLDS THE WORLD RECORD FOR USING THE MOST DRUGS DIES TODAY. HE WAS WAS ATTACKED BY A PACK OF WILD DOGS HE THOUGHT HE SAW"

WHY FART AND WASTE IT, WHEN YOU CAN BURP AND TASTE IT?

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
22 Sep 2010 20:07 #401056 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic KZ1K'S MOTOR

Have a look at this video, you would be able to attempt this with the parts you have now. But only if they are not in to bad of shape. There are other videos on the side bar and they will show you how, but with tools you don't have to do a valve job.
You need a top end gasket set, not just a base gasket.
You should be able to hone the cylinders and install new rings, but you have to follow the manual for the dimensions for the cylinder, the piston ring lands, etc.
I doubt you will be installing new valve guides at home, if you look at those videos there is a valve guide replacement followed by reaming and then re-cutting the valve seats. All that has to be done if you replace a guide.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...