23 Sep 2010 10:57 #401182 by Sandy
Replied by Sandy on topic KZ1K'S MOTOR
Motor Head wrote:

Kidkawie wrote:

tinyurl.com/334jt22

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

HA HA HA,you smart-asses.:laugh:

1977 KZ1000 A-1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Sep 2010 10:59 #401183 by Sandy
kz1k wrote:

Kidkawie wrote:

tinyurl.com/334jt22

thank you...lol. today has just been super busy, between the phone and kids and kzr..lol.

never seen that 1 before....good 1!

BUT!!! I dont think its ganna work for my heads...if i am leaking water through the valves with no compression......its ganna need more than just that. heads are getting sent out before reassebly period!

if im ganna spent 100 bucks or 2k, im ganna just do it right. whats the point of all that work, then have to go back in sooner than later?

hopefully i can get the heads sent out in the next month. until them i can clean the top end and measure...see what i have and maybe get some new rings in there when ready.

Well there ya go!
I just wasn't sure of your budget.B)

1977 KZ1000 A-1

• kz1k
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • You Cant Fix Stupid!
More
23 Sep 2010 11:03 #401185 by kz1k
Replied by kz1k on topic KZ1K'S MOTOR
:P i dont think im sure of my budget either...lol all i have is time.....until i die anyway...lol

1978 KZ1000A2

"JUST IN! A MAN WHO HOLDS THE WORLD RECORD FOR USING THE MOST DRUGS DIES TODAY. HE WAS WAS ATTACKED BY A PACK OF WILD DOGS HE THOUGHT HE SAW"

WHY FART AND WASTE IT, WHEN YOU CAN BURP AND TASTE IT?

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
23 Sep 2010 11:05 #401186 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic KZ1K'S MOTOR
Motor Head wrote:

Have a look at this video, you would be able to attempt this with the parts you have now. But only if they are not in to bad of shape. There are other videos on the side bar and they will show you how, but with tools you don't have to do a valve job.
You need a top end gasket set, not just a base gasket.
You should be able to hone the cylinders and install new rings, but you have to follow the manual for the dimensions for the cylinder, the piston ring lands, etc.
I doubt you will be installing new valve guides at home, if you look at those videos there is a valve guide replacement followed by reaming and then re-cutting the valve seats. All that has to be done if you replace a guide.

This was page 6

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

• kz1k
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • You Cant Fix Stupid!
More
23 Sep 2010 11:12 #401189 by kz1k
ill leave it up to larry. im sure he will do me a solid. imo i could do that all day and take the time to put it back, just to pull it apart. i need that reassurance ill get by sending the head to larry.

1978 KZ1000A2

"JUST IN! A MAN WHO HOLDS THE WORLD RECORD FOR USING THE MOST DRUGS DIES TODAY. HE WAS WAS ATTACKED BY A PACK OF WILD DOGS HE THOUGHT HE SAW"

More
23 Sep 2010 11:45 #401196 by Sandy
Motor Head wrote:

Motor Head wrote:

Have a look at this video, you would be able to attempt this with the parts you have now. But only if they are not in to bad of shape. There are other videos on the side bar and they will show you how, but with tools you don't have to do a valve job.
You need a top end gasket set, not just a base gasket.
You should be able to hone the cylinders and install new rings, but you have to follow the manual for the dimensions for the cylinder, the piston ring lands, etc.
I doubt you will be installing new valve guides at home, if you look at those videos there is a valve guide replacement followed by reaming and then re-cutting the valve seats. All that has to be done if you replace a guide.

This was page 6

Totally missed that.:huh:

1977 KZ1000 A-1

• Motor Head
  • User
More
23 Sep 2010 11:48 - 23 Sep 2010 12:32 #401197 by Motor Head
Are there any willing members that can go over and help out with this motor work?
He is trying hard but needs some guidance, it can be a bit daunting loosing your KZ virginity! :P

Here is another video for one of your next steps, honing the cylinders.

AND Another.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
Last edit: 23 Sep 2010 12:32 by Motor Head. Reason: Add video's

• kz1k
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • You Cant Fix Stupid!
More
23 Sep 2010 13:58 #401214 by kz1k
yeah i think i have officially popped my KZ cherry!

1978 KZ1000A2

More
23 Sep 2010 14:12 #401217 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic KZ1K'S MOTOR
Motor Head wrote:

Are there any willing members that can go over and help out with this motor work?
He is trying hard but needs some guidance, it can be a bit daunting loosing your KZ virginity!....

Nads will soon send over the fat lady. :cheer: :laugh:

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

• kz1k
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • You Cant Fix Stupid!
More
23 Sep 2010 14:25 - 23 Sep 2010 14:26 #401221 by kz1k
that first video was cool, but my cpu didnt want to run the second video. kept pausing and shit, but i get the idea.

question.....i figure i can hone my cylinders, but if i send my head to larry, is lapping part of the procedure? also when i send him my head is it cheaper to have it disasebled? and when i send the head should i send him my cams, buckets and shims so he can look at them?

1978 KZ1000A2

Last edit: 23 Sep 2010 14:26 by kz1k.

• Motor Head
  • User
More
23 Sep 2010 14:36 #401222 by Motor Head
You should really ask him, but I would say that he will want the cams, buckets, and shims. That way he can have all of your head ready for you to bolt on, only needing to re time the cams and crank with the chain. Cheaper, should be 1 set price for a valve job, but the parts that need replacing may add to the total bill.
If you pause the video for a minute or so then push play again, it should run fine.
Get the cylinder off yet? If so look close at the bore where the piston was so rusty looking, #3 i think. It may have quite a rust area where it sat all those years.

• kz1k
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • You Cant Fix Stupid!
More
23 Sep 2010 14:42 #401224 by kz1k
Motor Head wrote:

You should really ask him, but I would say that he will want the cams, buckets, and shims. That way he can have all of your head ready for you to bolt on, only needing to re time the cams and crank with the chain. Cheaper, should be 1 set price for a valve job, but the parts that need replacing may add to the total bill.
If you pause the video for a minute or so then push play again, it should run fine.
Get the cylinder off yet? If so look close at the bore where the piston was so rusty looking, #3 i think. It may have quite a rust area where it sat all those years.

no i havnt taken the cylinder off yet,,,been lazy today. after taking my head off yesterday without my roomate, i think he wanted to be there to help. so i told him i would wait for him to take the cylinder off this evening. i did spend a lot of time talking to machine shops and a friend from kzr ...adam on the phone discussing sending my head out, and looking for the idlers, and rubber pillow blocks to look for wear. i also have started a list of things i need to purchase....full gasket set, cam chain, cam chain master link, air filter pods, carb rebuild kit, fuel filters.................

1978 KZ1000A2