KZ1K'S MOTOR

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
23 Sep 2010 06:34 #401125 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic KZ1K'S MOTOR

There seems to be some confusion as to which term is used for what part of the valve. The margin is important, if to thin the valve will have a tendency to burn, especially the exhaust valves. This is why there is a minimum thickness to be checked after resurfacing the valve "Face", which is the seating/ sealing surface. Also there is a minimum and maximum for this width, along with its mating surface on the seat.
Without the correct tools to do this part of the job, you really need a qualified machine shop. Like I said you may attempt to do the valve lapping at home, BUT you must still use the manual for the seat and valve dimensions, keeping in mind that the job will be a repair and not a rebuild.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• DoubleDub
  • Visitor
23 Sep 2010 07:01 #401129 by DoubleDub
Replied by DoubleDub on topic KZ1K'S MOTOR
PLUMMEN wrote:

get everything cleaned up first and measured,then you can decide what parts are needed.
a valve job isnt that big of a deal for a shop that does them all the time,so it shouldnt take that long to get them back.
spend a few bucks after you get the cylinder off and take it and the cleaned up pistons to a bike shop and have the bores and pistons measured before spending money on rings B)

I agree completely - take a deep breath, get everything inspected/measured. You still don't know for certain why you were losing compression. Better to understand what you have before diving in and spending money - trust me, it will be cheaper in the long run if you inspect/get it all inspected.

And for Pete's sake, give one of the valve job shops a call! They can walk/talk you through everything that's involved/critical with a valve job. And like I said, Larry is probably watching this thread anyways....Larry? Are you there?

• kz1k
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • You Cant Fix Stupid!
More
23 Sep 2010 07:07 #401131 by kz1k
Replied by kz1k on topic KZ1K'S MOTOR
whats larrys #?

1978 KZ1000A2

"JUST IN! A MAN WHO HOLDS THE WORLD RECORD FOR USING THE MOST DRUGS DIES TODAY. HE WAS WAS ATTACKED BY A PACK OF WILD DOGS HE THOUGHT HE SAW"

WHY FART AND WASTE IT, WHEN YOU CAN BURP AND TASTE IT?

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
23 Sep 2010 07:16 #401133 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic KZ1K'S MOTOR

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

• kz1k
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • You Cant Fix Stupid!
More
23 Sep 2010 07:50 #401141 by kz1k
ok talked to larry. he said at the minumum, new cam chain/master link, piston rings.

have the head resurfaced, check valve guides and do a valve job.

1978 KZ1000A2

"JUST IN! A MAN WHO HOLDS THE WORLD RECORD FOR USING THE MOST DRUGS DIES TODAY. HE WAS WAS ATTACKED BY A PACK OF WILD DOGS HE THOUGHT HE SAW"

• kz1k
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • You Cant Fix Stupid!
More
23 Sep 2010 08:03 #401145 by kz1k
can someone explain to me checking the top idler, rear idler, front rubber sprockets, and rubber pillows? can i check them now, or does the motor need to be together?

1978 KZ1000A2

More
23 Sep 2010 08:22 #401146 by 531blackbanshee
Replied by 531blackbanshee on topic KZ1K'S MOTOR
they are rubber coated.you are looking for cracks in the rubber or chunks missing.wipe em off and eyeball em real good.

leon

skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0

More
23 Sep 2010 08:36 #401148 by TerryK
Replied by TerryK on topic KZ1K'S MOTOR
My question is, where did all the rust come from? With that amount of rust, a valve job, cylinder hone and new rings is the absolute minimum you should be doing.

1977 KZ1000
GSXR swingarm and rear brake
WM6 rear Akront rim
Wiseco 1075c pistons
33 smoothbores
stage 3 Web Cams
Head porting
Dyna S ignition
Lockhart oil cooler
Wiseco header

1980 Z1R drag bike
1200cc
38 Flatslides, .
500' cams
7" slick
Dyan 4000 SP ignition
etc

Ontario, Canada

• kz1k
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • You Cant Fix Stupid!
More
23 Sep 2010 08:47 #401151 by kz1k
TerryK wrote:

My question is, where did all the rust come from? With that amount of rust, a valve job, cylinder hone and new rings is the absolute minimum you should be doing.

i dont know terry. if it was water cooled i would have a guess, but its not. and why was it only 1 cylinder? say it sat in the rain, all the cylinders would have surface rust.

i did a water test to check the valves

results on intake is 2-3 leak water.

on the exzaust its not leaking yet at all....ill give it a few more minutes.

so for sure on the intake 2-3 leak.

1978 KZ1000A2

• kz1k
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • You Cant Fix Stupid!
More
23 Sep 2010 08:51 #401152 by kz1k
#2 has a leak through exzaust.

1978 KZ1000A2

• porchev914
  • User
  • Whats that? Half of my swingarm is missing?!?!?
More
23 Sep 2010 09:00 #401154 by porchev914
Replied by porchev914 on topic KZ1K'S MOTOR
So basically you are in it to rebuild the head. If you have already talked to Larry C, then he'll have given you good advice. I'm glad you're getting this figured out. It won't be long until you know more about this bike than your craigslist "expert" :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

FRANKEN Z!
1978 KZ1000 A2A with 08'Speed Triple SSSA and '06 GSXR1000 front end

More
23 Sep 2010 09:00 #401155 by TerryK
Replied by TerryK on topic KZ1K'S MOTOR
kz1k wrote:

TerryK wrote:

i dont know terry. if it was water cooled i would have a guess, but its not. and why was it only 1 cylinder? say it sat in the rain, all the cylinders would have surface rust.

i did a water test to check the valves

results on intake is 2-3 leak water.

on the exzaust its not leaking yet at all....ill give it a few more minutes.

so for sure on the intake 2-3 leak.

Use a solvent like Varsol. Water has too strong a surface tension and won't show leaks well.

Once you know which ones are leaking, disassemble the head and check each valve for obvious signs of being bent. If none are bent, lap the valves. It may be that's all it needs as far as the head goes. Lap ALL the valves, reassemble the whole thing and do the solvent test again.

One thing: do you see any signs of valve to piston contact? Inspect the pistons closely for tiny crescent shaped dimples.

1977 KZ1000
GSXR swingarm and rear brake
WM6 rear Akront rim
Wiseco 1075c pistons
33 smoothbores
stage 3 Web Cams
Head porting
Dyna S ignition
Lockhart oil cooler
Wiseco header

1980 Z1R drag bike
1200cc
38 Flatslides, .
500' cams
7" slick
Dyan 4000 SP ignition
etc

Ontario, Canada