KZ1K'S MOTOR

• kz1k
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • You Cant Fix Stupid!
More
23 Sep 2010 09:00 #401156 by kz1k
Replied by kz1k on topic KZ1K'S MOTOR
now...this is with no compression, just gravity.....im sure with compression they all probable leak.

1978 KZ1000A2

"JUST IN! A MAN WHO HOLDS THE WORLD RECORD FOR USING THE MOST DRUGS DIES TODAY. HE WAS WAS ATTACKED BY A PACK OF WILD DOGS HE THOUGHT HE SAW"

WHY FART AND WASTE IT, WHEN YOU CAN BURP AND TASTE IT?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• kz1k
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • You Cant Fix Stupid!
More
23 Sep 2010 09:02 #401157 by kz1k
TerryK wrote:

kz1k wrote:

TerryK wrote:

My question is, where did all the rust come from? With that amount of rust, a valve job, cylinder hone and new rings is the absolute minimum you should be doing.

i dont know terry. if it was water cooled i would have a guess, but its not. and why was it only 1 cylinder? say it sat in the rain, all the cylinders would have surface rust.

i did a water test to check the valves

results on intake is 2-3 leak water.

on the exzaust its not leaking yet at all....ill give it a few more minutes.

so for sure on the intake 2-3 leak.

Use a solvent like Varsol. Water has too strong a surface tension and won't show leaks well.

Once you know which ones are leaking, disassemble the head and check each valve for obvious signs of being bent. If none are bent, lap the valves. It may be that's all it needs as far as the head goes. Lap ALL the valves, reassemble the whole thing and do the solvent test again.

One thing: do you see any signs of valve to piston contact? Inspect the pistons closely for tiny crescent shaped dimples.

i just went by what larry said...add water....

i am pretty sure ill be sending the head out for a valve job at minimum. this way i know its all working and done correctly.

1978 KZ1000A2

"JUST IN! A MAN WHO HOLDS THE WORLD RECORD FOR USING THE MOST DRUGS DIES TODAY. HE WAS WAS ATTACKED BY A PACK OF WILD DOGS HE THOUGHT HE SAW"

• DoubleDub
  • Visitor
23 Sep 2010 09:09 #401159 by DoubleDub
Replied by DoubleDub on topic KZ1K'S MOTOR
kz1k wrote:

i am pretty sure ill be sending the head out for a valve job at minimum. this way i know its all working and done correctly.

Great! Most of us have gone through a similar process at one point or another. I know I went through the same struggle and am really glad I ended up sending the head out for a valve job rather than trying to do a half-a$$ job on my own. Larry knows his stuff - glad you called him. It's still something I would love to learn how to do, but I was in the same boat as you - not enough money or time to learn as I learn by making mistakes.

• kz1k
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • You Cant Fix Stupid!
More
23 Sep 2010 09:12 #401160 by kz1k
DoubleDub wrote:

kz1k wrote:

Great! Most of us have gone through a similar process at one point or another. I know I went through the same struggle and am really glad I ended up sending the head out for a valve job rather than trying to do a half-a$$ job on my own. Larry knows his stuff - glad you called him. It's still something I would love to learn how to do, but I was in the same boat as you - not enough money or time to learn as I learn by making mistakes.

taking the motor apart is one thing, but im sure getting everything zipped up right before i try to fire the bike up, will be where i learn from mistakes...lol

1978 KZ1000A2

More
23 Sep 2010 09:12 #401161 by Kidkawie
Replied by Kidkawie on topic KZ1K'S MOTOR
kz1k wrote:

TerryK wrote:

My question is, where did all the rust come from? With that amount of rust, a valve job, cylinder hone and new rings is the absolute minimum you should be doing.

i dont know terry. if it was water cooled i would have a guess, but its not. and why was it only 1 cylinder? say it sat in the rain, all the cylinders would have surface rust.

If the engine sat out in the elements and that cylinder was on the intake stroke, water could have seeped in from the carbs. So then only one cylinder would be affected.

Loose spark plug could do that too.

1975 Z1 900
1994 KX250 Supermoto
2004 KX125

• kz1k
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • You Cant Fix Stupid!
More
23 Sep 2010 09:15 #401162 by kz1k
Kidkawie wrote:

kz1k wrote:

TerryK wrote:

If the engine sat out in the elements and that cylinder was on the intake stroke, water could have seeped in from the carbs. So then only one cylinder would be affected.

Loose spark plug could do that too.

10-4 KK

1978 KZ1000A2

More
23 Sep 2010 09:26 #401166 by Sandy
Replied by Sandy on topic KZ1K'S MOTOR
kz1k wrote:

now...this is with no compression, just gravity.....im sure with compression they all probable leak.

To do a proper test on the valves,Joe,you need to have the head assembled.They need the spring tension to close them tight.
Just for the hell of it,while you have it all apart,why not just lap them and put it all back together to see.

1977 KZ1000 A-1

• kz1k
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • You Cant Fix Stupid!
More
23 Sep 2010 10:15 #401172 by kz1k
Sandy wrote:

kz1k wrote:

To do a proper test on the valves,Joe,you need to have the head assembled.They need the spring tension to close them tight.
Just for the hell of it,while you have it all apart,why not just lap them and put it all back together to see.

the head is assebled, its just off the cylinders. do you mean it needs to be on the piston cylinders with the cams in to do a test.

if not, i still have the whole head assembled exept for the cams and shims......lemme know.

im not sure what lapping them means.

1978 KZ1000A2

More
23 Sep 2010 10:49 #401178 by Kidkawie
Replied by Kidkawie on topic KZ1K'S MOTOR

1975 Z1 900
1994 KX250 Supermoto
2004 KX125

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
23 Sep 2010 10:51 #401179 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic KZ1K'S MOTOR
Kidkawie wrote:

tinyurl.com/334jt22

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
23 Sep 2010 10:56 #401180 by Sandy
Replied by Sandy on topic KZ1K'S MOTOR
No,Joe,I meant to do a wet-test(leak-test)you need the valve springs and keepers in place,and the head will be off the bike and on your workbench.
When you are lapping the valves,you will have the head completely dissasembled and you will do one valve at a time.
And like I said in the U2U,don't put the new valve-stem seal in place when you are lapping the valves,like the guy in the video.You don't want lapping compound to touch the new seals.
You only want to clean them up to do another leak-test,so once you have them all lapped,you will put the valves and all parts(less the seals) back together as though you were finished with it.And then it has to come apart again to put new seals in place OR...have new seals,but at this point you only want to see if the valves are leaking.If you get lucky with a lap-job,you can decide from there what you want to do.

1977 KZ1000 A-1

• kz1k
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • You Cant Fix Stupid!
More
23 Sep 2010 10:57 - 23 Sep 2010 10:59 #401181 by kz1k
Kidkawie wrote:

tinyurl.com/334jt22

thank you...lol. today has just been super busy, between the phone and kids and kzr..lol.

never seen that 1 before....good 1!

BUT!!! I dont think its ganna work for my heads...if i am leaking water through the valves with no compression......its ganna need more than just that. heads are getting sent out before reassebly period!

if im ganna spent 100 bucks or 2k, im ganna just do it right. whats the point of all that work, then have to go back in sooner than later?

hopefully i can get the heads sent out in the next month. until then i can clean the top end and measure...see what i have and maybe get some new rings in there when ready.

1978 KZ1000A2

Last edit: 23 Sep 2010 10:59 by kz1k.