KZ1K'S MOTOR

• kz1k
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • You Cant Fix Stupid!
More
21 Sep 2010 13:13 #400611 by kz1k
Replied by kz1k on topic KZ1K'S MOTOR
what oil should i pour down each sperk plug hole, and how much?

1978 KZ1000A2

"JUST IN! A MAN WHO HOLDS THE WORLD RECORD FOR USING THE MOST DRUGS DIES TODAY. HE WAS WAS ATTACKED BY A PACK OF WILD DOGS HE THOUGHT HE SAW"

WHY FART AND WASTE IT, WHEN YOU CAN BURP AND TASTE IT?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• kz1k
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • You Cant Fix Stupid!
More
21 Sep 2010 13:13 #400612 by kz1k
what oil should i pour down each spark plug hole, and how much?

1978 KZ1000A2

"JUST IN! A MAN WHO HOLDS THE WORLD RECORD FOR USING THE MOST DRUGS DIES TODAY. HE WAS WAS ATTACKED BY A PACK OF WILD DOGS HE THOUGHT HE SAW"

• kz1k
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • You Cant Fix Stupid!
More
21 Sep 2010 13:22 #400613 by kz1k
when i turn the motor bu kicking the bike i hear air comming from the carbs. i put my hand over them and can feel the air comming out. arent they sopposed to suck air in, not blow air out?

1978 KZ1000A2

• 9am53
  • User
  • homebrew, and some bbq
More
21 Sep 2010 13:27 #400616 by 9am53
Replied by 9am53 on topic KZ1K'S MOTOR
pour a teaspoon of regular oil in each cylinder.

• DoubleDub
  • Visitor
21 Sep 2010 13:29 #400618 by DoubleDub
Replied by DoubleDub on topic KZ1K'S MOTOR
Here is a set of feeler gauges that should work - quite cheap too, if there is a Harbor Freight in your area: www.harborfreight.com/32-piece-sae-metri...ler-gauge-32214.html

A tablespoon or so of motor oil should do it. You are trying to temporarily create a "seal" on the rings of the piston. If the numbers jump significantly when doing this you probably need a rehone/new rings at a minimum. However, I would verify the valve clearances before jumping to any conclusions.

I would do things in this order (but I'm no expert :P )

1. Verify cam timing (if motor was never mucked with, this is unnecessary)
2. Verify cam clearances (using the feeler gauges you are trying to obtain)
3. Compression Test / Oil in chamber compression test.
4. Leak down. A small compressor and an inexpensive leak down set can quickly tell you where most of your compression loss if coming from - my buddy bought this one and it works quite well: www.harborfreight.com/cylinder-leak-down-tester-94190.html

So in conclusion...

The leak down will be the most definitive as to where, but probably not why the compression isn't there.

Adding motor oil to the cylinders will more or less tell you if re-hone and rings are necessary.

But again, if cam timing and valve clearances are off these tests can be misleading.

• kz1k
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • You Cant Fix Stupid!
More
21 Sep 2010 13:37 - 21 Sep 2010 13:42 #400620 by kz1k
DoubleDub wrote:

Here is a set of feeler gauges that should work - quite cheap too, if there is a Harbor Freight in your area: www.harborfreight.com/32-piece-sae-metri...ler-gauge-32214.html

A tablespoon or so of motor oil should do it. You are trying to temporarily create a "seal" on the rings of the piston. If the numbers jump significantly when doing this you probably need a rehone/new rings at a minimum. However, I would verify the valve clearances before jumping to any conclusions.

I would do things in this order (but I'm no expert :P )

1. Verify cam timing (if motor was never mucked with, this is unnecessary)
2. Verify cam clearances (using the feeler gauges you are trying to obtain)
3. Compression Test / Oil in chamber compression test.
4. Leak down. A small compressor and an inexpensive leak down set can quickly tell you where most of your compression loss if coming from - my buddy bought this one and it works quite well: www.harborfreight.com/cylinder-leak-down-tester-94190.html

So in conclusion...

The leak down will be the most definitive as to where, but probably not why the compression isn't there.

Adding motor oil to the cylinders will more or less tell you if re-hone and rings are necessary.

But again, if cam timing and valve clearances are off these tests can be misleading.

that helpes me a lot. thank you for taking the time out. i need to get a feeler guage. a compression tester and a leak down. i have a air compressor. thank you, i will do a oil compression test once i grab the tools. as far as i know the timing was never messed with, but im not sure. joe

1978 KZ1000A2

Last edit: 21 Sep 2010 13:42 by kz1k.

• kz1k
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • You Cant Fix Stupid!
More
21 Sep 2010 14:01 #400625 by kz1k
i talked to a friend of mine. he thinks that since all four cylinders are reading low pressure, and my carbs are blowing air out instead of pulling air in, that its a valve stuck open. so i will get a feeler guage and adjust the valves.

1978 KZ1000A2

• DoubleDub
  • Visitor
21 Sep 2010 14:02 #400626 by DoubleDub
No problem - as has already probably been stated, a factory service manual, or if not readily available, at minimum a Clymer or Haynes manual would really help. They list most "serviceable" ranges and torque ratings as needed.

• DoubleDub
  • Visitor
21 Sep 2010 14:05 #400627 by DoubleDub
I had a compression tested like this one: www.harborfreight.com/flex-drive-compres...tm_source=googlebase

Again, cheap, does the job. For our purposes we aren't going to be doing daily compression tests or need precise measurements...

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
21 Sep 2010 15:17 - 21 Sep 2010 15:33 #400648 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic KZ1K'S MOTOR
(youtube)

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife
Last edit: 21 Sep 2010 15:33 by trianglelaguna.

More
21 Sep 2010 16:57 #400680 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic KZ1K'S MOTOR
kz1k wrote:

btw my battery is dead in my bike....i need to buy a charger. so i used jumper cables from my truck running, to the bikes battery and cables.

Oh boy, can you say "let's troubleshoot the electrical system next?" ;)

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• kz1k
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • You Cant Fix Stupid!
More
21 Sep 2010 17:30 #400687 by kz1k
650ed wrote:

kz1k wrote:

btw my battery is dead in my bike....i need to buy a charger. so i used jumper cables from my truck running, to the bikes battery and cables.

Oh boy, can you say "let's troubleshoot the electrical system next?" ;)

i dont have a batt charger...it took a shit. :P in due time......joe

1978 KZ1000A2