I want a Kerker

More
24 Jan 2010 17:18 - 24 Jan 2010 17:57 #344384 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic I want a Kerker
Well that was up-lifting! :blink: but I/we do appreciate the reply and update...

Ah well, the research continues.... Thanks for the update regarding the California Emissions Enforcers/DOT...

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az
Last edit: 24 Jan 2010 17:57 by Old Man Rock.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Jan 2010 19:39 #344416 by davel
Replied by davel on topic I want a Kerker
Hey Jeff, Thanks for the thorough analysis. I was going to ask whether you had considered distributing Japanese pipes. It's too bad because, in my experience, the pipe and baffle on these old street built KZs is greatly responsible for the power output and RPM range of the power band. Unfortunately, the options are dwindling...

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
24 Jan 2010 20:27 - 24 Jan 2010 20:33 #344428 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic I want a Kerker
so i have bought three excellent exhuast sytems in perfect condition for 135-228.....i'm not being funny here....am i not seeing somthing.....i have a tits supertrapp no dents ,great sound,polished tunable can,oil plug and filter and center stand retetion.....228...a v & hines for free basically brand new...and wicked jardine with a longer look and oval can..also tunable and no dents....125.....

why would i shell out 500-3000 for a pipe that i am gonna ride on my bike a run the risk...of...of...well i'm gonna be riding a streetbike with it so....go figure...titanium 795,3000...stainless imported through six guys passing a buck........my 78 cycle news mag shows an add for kerkers new 249.....i could watch c-list for a few months and get an ex superbike kz with all the stuff .....or a rolling chassis with seized motor and good upgrades...for 300....
i talked to the dude with the rob north ex superbike...he did not even know.....700-3000 for an exhuast...i have nothing for respect for companies selling stuff for these bikes...and more power to someone wants to shell out 1000 for an exhuast.....but please if your getting into fixing one or more of these old girls....please don't forget there were like tons of these sold for nealry a decade and the stuff you really wanna be looking at is not even circulating...it's under some dudes tarp and he has never even ridden a bike probably....i'm not even joking here..

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife
Last edit: 24 Jan 2010 20:33 by trianglelaguna.

More
24 Jan 2010 21:06 #344432 by APE Jay
Replied by APE Jay on topic I want a Kerker
I had a real George kerker sidewinder on my Honda dragbike.

More
24 Jan 2010 21:23 #344436 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic I want a Kerker
So I guess my classic Kerker I bought new in '80 for $199 is priceless now?:blink: I put a stock system on my 650 after 30 years running the Kerker. I'll never part with it as I could never afford to get another nice one!B)

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!
Attachments:

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
25 Jan 2010 07:27 #344475 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic I want a Kerker
just shooting for effect here...but i searched kz...in the sacramento c-list just this morning and it turned up 2 kerkers,,,attached to kz's a ?aenable completness...but says lots of good stufff...two parts bikes and two kers...400...i put it in the c-list thread here on kzr just now...sorry no pics...but 400...geez:huh:

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

• riverroad
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1980 1000LTD B4
More
25 Jan 2010 08:57 #344484 by riverroad
Replied by riverroad on topic I want a Kerker
Wow! Four pages!
Made the mistake of posting this Friday afternoon, and not seeing it again til this morning.
But after reading it, now I'm not so convinced that I want a shiny new Kerker. Dents in the bottom are routine? Well that sux. My Mac doesn't have any dents on the bottom at all. Wonder why.
Then Otakar says the Macs flow real good. Not having experienced any other kind of pipe on my bike, and after some serious rejetting, mine does run like a scalded ape. And the sound is incredible. Scares the Harley riders. But what tones it down a little is this chrome exhaust tip from Autozone I shoved into its ass. These tips do have some fiberglass packing inside, but it doesn't last long. But at about twenty bucks apiece, I just buy another one maybe twice a season.
I kinda like the way it looks too:
Attachments:

More
25 Jan 2010 13:34 #344510 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic I want a Kerker
Na I think the problem is with V&H not Kerker. MAC is good stuff too I have a set on my 440 twin and I like them. I don't think Kerker has any mojor QC issues to speak of unlike V&H. I could be wrong...

I prefer black header pipes though. I am just sick of polishing pipes all the time. My last bike build project is the first time I ceramic coated a header, and I should have been doing it long ago. I coated my old header pipes and left my Kerker can in chrome, looks pretty good and is very easy to keep lookin like new.

Nice bike by the way!

If I knew what I was doing all the time life wouldn't be any fun.

'80 KZ650 E 700cc, dyna ignition and coils, frame up restoration, daily driver
'81 KZ1300 A3 full restoration, custom big bore pistons, 1400cc 6 cylinder super bike
"77 KZ650 B1 - Barn Find, work in progeress
"74 Yamaha DT 400 Enduro

More
25 Jan 2010 14:20 #344511 by otakar
Replied by otakar on topic I want a Kerker
I would never trade my MAC for another Kerker unless it was a "K" series. I do like those. I wish I could find another Yoshimura series 1.

74 Z1-A stock
76 KZ-900 Totaly stock vice MAC pipe
77 KZ-1000A stock
78 Z1-R 100%MINT 500 original Mi.
78 Z1-R Yoshi 1103 kit stage 1 cams Yoshi pipe. Etc
79 KZ-1300 (1400)
80 KZ-1300
81 Scratch built GPz1150R
82 KZ1000

More
25 Jan 2010 14:48 - 25 Jan 2010 14:51 #344513 by Leather
Replied by Leather on topic I want a Kerker
WOW! I just got back on to catch up on this thread and about fell out of my chair when I got to the entry by Jeff on the prices! OMG! I can't even think of a stainless new pipe # those numbers. I admit I'll be hunting through C list and E bay for some ones old take off or hunting up a busted bike with what I want. But in the mean time it's still ok weather here and I can't ride with the exhaust popping thru the bottom! So guess I'll try to weld in a patch inside and see how it does. Though I chatted with a friend who is in to mid 70’s Hondas and he found new ones and went ahead and did the ceramic coating in the inside. Said it was reasonability priced and would help extend the life of the pipes. (Though I wonder what would happen the first time I "bumped " a speed breaker” on the bottom of the pipe.) I want to still be able to use the center stand like I can now with the old VH... I'm not TOO worried about it being closer to my case bottoms as I installed a Lockhart oil collar years back and have never had oil temp problems. Though if it were to get to be I heard that wrapping header tape might be a way to go. I talked with another bud about attempting to copy the header I have now and was reminded that it was more than just "copying: that a LOT of flow dynamics were involved and that it's not some thing to just cut and weld. Any thought any one? Should I look into attempting it thru having the bends done at the local muffler shop and cutting the collector ends my self and welding them together? (With the understanding that the head end would have to be produced before the bends were applied. As it's a bike that uses the split inserts with the copper washers and has the studs in the head would think that it's mainly making or reusing the attachment plates I have on the old pipe. If it were to work ok, I'd be able to ride this season. Again ... thoughts? Unsure:
Last edit: 25 Jan 2010 14:51 by Leather.

More
25 Jan 2010 16:56 #344533 by roy-b-boy-b
Replied by roy-b-boy-b on topic I want a Kerker

1979 LTD Street Fighter.1977 KZ1000

More
25 Jan 2010 17:01 #344535 by roy-b-boy-b
Replied by roy-b-boy-b on topic I want a Kerker

1979 LTD Street Fighter.1977 KZ1000