loud pipes save lives

• Kawickrice
  • User
  • After Monday & Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF
More
12 Jun 2009 10:41 #298609 by Kawickrice
Replied by Kawickrice on topic loud pipes save lives
N0NB wrote:

The do the oil and gravel thing here and call it "armor coating". They do much the same thing except they use about a 3/8" aggregate and sweep up the excess right away. Still, for a month or two there are defined lanes where every one drives and loose gravel between. Eventually the loose stuff gets worked to the side after the first or second snowfall and by the next year the road is a prime surface.

I don't know if that's necessarily worse than the milled highway surface.

????????????

73 Kawasaki Z1
07 HD CVO Ultra Classic
82 Suzuki GS 1100
74 Yamaha RD 350 (My two stroke toy)
77 Kawasaki KZ 650B-1 (My putt around bike)
80 Indian Moped (My American Iron)
Long Gone
75 Suzuki GT550
74 GT 380
79 RD 400 Daytona Special
72 Honda CL 175
74 Honda QA 50
Tampa FL

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Jun 2009 13:46 #298630 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic loud pipes save lives
rtdakota2001 wrote:

bountyhunter wrote:

dangedcoyote wrote:

Actually you would have been at fault. It would be called reckless endangerment I believe. You are to be in control at all times of your vehicle.

No, it MIGHT have been called an unsafe lane change, but if the situation was as described, most of the blame goes to the speeder who could be cited for reckless driving. Blame for an accident is not always 100% on one driver, in fact it frequently is not.

People must look both ways and check their mirrors, but if somebody travels at very high speed, they are too small to be seen by a driver making a reasonable effort.

Further, he might see the other vehicle and judge it's overtaking speed to be SOMETHING SANE which would make him incorrectly estimate whether or not it was safe to pull out, pass, change lanes, etc.

not always. different stated have laws determining 'at fault' procedure. illinois , either you did it or you didnt, if you are ruled to be 51% at fault, its ALL on you. lame, i know, but it has actually saved a friend of mine from paying out the ass on some stupid accident he had last year.

Hmm. I know out here they have comparative fault, they also do the comparative thing in civil cases for monetary award. It's only right to pay what's fair.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
12 Jun 2009 15:13 #298638 by saltydog
Replied by saltydog on topic loud pipes save lives
That's the silliest supposition I have ever heard. That is why the put horns on the front of the bike. Exhaust point out the back so the people you just passed can hear you.

1981 KZ1000 CSR, 1982 KZ440 ltd, 1972 Honda ct90, 1978 KZ 650

More
12 Jun 2009 15:15 #298639 by KawiConvert
Replied by KawiConvert on topic loud pipes save lives
Kawickrice wrote:

KawiConvert wrote:

Best you can hope for is when your cruising next to them in their blind spot they'll hear you and not change into your lane.

Cruising in a blind spot is a recipe for disaster. I ride slightly behind or slightly ahead of the car beside me. All to often the cage driver changes lanes THEN checks the mirror.

I was hoping someone would notice that the only obvious benefit was when the rider was being stupid.

+1 on the t-shirt. Where do they sell those?

1978 KZ650 D1 ~ Carb jetting: 107.5 & 20 & 4th groove with pods and 4-1 Exhaust

More
12 Jun 2009 15:20 #298640 by KawiConvert
Replied by KawiConvert on topic loud pipes save lives
Kawickrice wrote:

N0NB wrote:

The do the oil and gravel thing here and call it "armor coating". They do much the same thing except they use about a 3/8" aggregate and sweep up the excess right away. Still, for a month or two there are defined lanes where every one drives and loose gravel between. Eventually the loose stuff gets worked to the side after the first or second snowfall and by the next year the road is a prime surface.

I don't know if that's necessarily worse than the milled highway surface.

????????????

They did this in Idaho as well. Keep recovering the road every other year with tar and small gravel (crushed, not pea). After a few years the surface builds up thick, no cracks to worry about, and as stated, when the loose stuff gets pushed to the side it leaves a real nice road surface for the rest of the time until they do it again.

1978 KZ650 D1 ~ Carb jetting: 107.5 & 20 & 4th groove with pods and 4-1 Exhaust

• Kawickrice
  • User
  • After Monday & Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF
More
12 Jun 2009 16:08 #298645 by Kawickrice
Replied by Kawickrice on topic loud pipes save lives
KawiConvert wrote:

Kawickrice wrote:

KawiConvert wrote:

Best you can hope for is when your cruising next to them in their blind spot they'll hear you and not change into your lane.

Cruising in a blind spot is a recipe for disaster. I ride slightly behind or slightly ahead of the car beside me. All to often the cage driver changes lanes THEN checks the mirror.

I was hoping someone would notice that the only obvious benefit was when the rider was being stupid.

+1 on the t-shirt. Where do they sell those?

Now I understand the point you were making. You had me confused for a bit. Or maybe I confused myself a bit.

73 Kawasaki Z1
07 HD CVO Ultra Classic
82 Suzuki GS 1100
74 Yamaha RD 350 (My two stroke toy)
77 Kawasaki KZ 650B-1 (My putt around bike)
80 Indian Moped (My American Iron)
Long Gone
75 Suzuki GT550
74 GT 380
79 RD 400 Daytona Special
72 Honda CL 175
74 Honda QA 50
Tampa FL

More
12 Jun 2009 16:13 #298649 by Locozuna
Replied by Locozuna on topic loud pipes save lives
They should at least put up warning signs for motorcyclists on those re-conditioned roads. I'm going to date myself but does anyone remember smudge pots? Before the flashing road signs we had smudge pots they lit at night to warn you of road problems. Loooong time ago.

KZ900LTD, KZ750LTD, KZ650, 72'Triumph Trident
"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

More
12 Jun 2009 22:46 - 12 Jun 2009 22:49 #298748 by austin3119
Replied by austin3119 on topic loud pipes save lives
Russ Jackson wrote:

Ok I am looking for an old Cop Bike. I want to change the front headlights to some really bright highbeams. All three of them. I also want a 4 in 1 Kerker without a baffle. A couple antennas,Cop helmet, calf high boots, and a leather jacket. I am hoping people will see me. I am not trying to piss people off. I am just trying to be safer. Do you think people will think I am an Ahole? I think looking like a Cop is really cool. I bet the real Cops will like it also...Don't you? Any pics and suggestions would be helpfull. Please dont crack on me. I am sensitive....Russ

Last edit: 12 Jun 2009 22:49 by austin3119.

More
12 Jun 2009 22:50 - 12 Jun 2009 22:51 #298749 by austin3119
Replied by austin3119 on topic loud pipes save lives
Russ Jackson wrote:

Ok I am looking for an old Cop Bike. I want to change the front headlights to some really bright highbeams. All three of them. I also want a 4 in 1 Kerker without a baffle. A couple antennas,Cop helmet, calf high boots, and a leather jacket. I am hoping people will see me. I am not trying to piss people off. I am just trying to be safer. Do you think people will think I am an Ahole? I think looking like a Cop is really cool. I bet the real Cops will like it also...Don't you? Any pics and suggestions would be helpfull. Please dont crack on me. I am sensitive....Russ

This is the best picture I could find. Doesn't look much like a cop bike though.
Last edit: 12 Jun 2009 22:51 by austin3119.

• eddiem
  • User
  • KZR FLAG RELAY CARRIER #63
More
12 Jun 2009 23:44 #298755 by eddiem
Replied by eddiem on topic loud pipes save lives
Locozuna wrote:

They should at least put up warning signs for motorcyclists on those re-conditioned roads. I'm going to date myself but does anyone remember smudge pots? Before the flashing road signs we had smudge pots they lit at night to warn you of road problems. Loooong time ago.

I remember those but soon after they went to the flashing lights so I guess that makes me a little younger :laugh:

1976 Kz900
1978 Kz1000
1978 Z1r
1982 Kz1100 A2
1975 Z1b-900
1975 Z1b-900

More
13 Jun 2009 11:54 #298863 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic loud pipes save lives
Heck, smudgepots aren't that old. When I first started driving we were warned of poor roads by the guy below:

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments:

More
13 Jun 2009 15:53 #298891 by Sweet Back
Replied by Sweet Back on topic loud pipes save lives
Wow. 6 pages to figure out how to pull baffles. I feel sorry for the guy. I tried in a an earlier response to help. KZR, I love the diversity. Some of us here are definitely full of ourselves. We always bitch about the harley guys, me included, because they are so righteous. Seems to me there's a lot of that in this thread. Real simple, his bike, his business. And you'd think nobody had ever seen a hotrod? We all ride for different reasons. He has his.

And I'm sure when he buys bikes for all of you, he'll make sure they have baffles...but for him, it doesn't . Sheesh.

1996 KZ1000P