loud pipes save lives

• eddiem
  • User
  • KZR FLAG RELAY CARRIER #63
More
09 Jun 2009 20:54 #297904 by eddiem
Replied by eddiem on topic loud pipes save lives
hey I'm 51 and I still like the sound of an open kerker :)

1976 Kz900
1978 Kz1000
1978 Z1r
1982 Kz1100 A2
1975 Z1b-900
1975 Z1b-900

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Jun 2009 20:59 #297906 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic loud pipes save lives
I've run mine open before and DAMN it's loud! I like the sound too (hot rodder from way back) but don't want any ticket$. The PoPo don't appreciate it either. ;)

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!

More
09 Jun 2009 21:05 #297909 by KawiConvert
Replied by KawiConvert on topic loud pipes save lives
Cherokee = good :) (though obviously another reason you have to go cheap on the bike).

Dodge dakota = bad :( Should just get a Comanche and finish off your wallet.

They pointed it out as you cry broke and then sport a fixed up truck. Why chince on a performance part for your bike when you didn't go cheap on the truck? Did you weld some stove pipe together to get a high-flow cat-back system or drop a couple hundred on something that had a chance of working well.

Same for the bike, spend the money, get good sound, a more closely tuned pipe, removable baffles for those days you feel like (temporarily) pissing others off, and something that doesn't remind us of the Sanford and Son theme song. Its been fun Chester, but really its time to either cut some stock pipes down, or spring for at least a cheap aftermarket. I found an old Mac 4-1 for my bike on craigslist for 50.00. They are out there, you just need to find them.

1978 KZ650 D1 ~ Carb jetting: 107.5 & 20 & 4th groove with pods and 4-1 Exhaust

More
10 Jun 2009 04:22 - 10 Jun 2009 04:24 #297961 by N0NB
Replied by N0NB on topic loud pipes save lives
Well, Dakota, you made quite a splash! :D

As you can tell, we vintage Kaw lovers don't necessarily buy into the title of this thread. Do understand this, in a lot of motorcycling circles the mantra has played out. But also note well that there is a sizable percentage of KZ owners who do run aftermarket exahausts with some louder than others but do also note that many of them don't fool themselves into believing the mantra will save them.

Regardless, now you know what it's like for the lion who kills the antelope in front of a pack of hyenas! :D :D

Since you mentioned your Dakota, I have a question for you. I have a '97 Dak with the 5.2L Magnum V8 and the air box has started warping from the heat. As a result the filter isn't sealing completely. I drive on dusty gravel roads a lot and all the aftermarket filter setups would seem to get plugged rather quickly. Is there something out there that would pull air from the front like the stock airbox does?

Nate

Nates vintage bike axiom: Riding is the reward for time spent wrenching.
Murphys corollary: Wrenching is the result of time spent riding.

1979 KZ650 (Complete!)
1979 KZ650 SR (Sold!)
1979 KL250 (For sale)
1994 Bayou 400 (four wheel peel :D )
Last edit: 10 Jun 2009 04:24 by N0NB.

More
10 Jun 2009 04:48 #297969 by Russ Jackson
Replied by Russ Jackson on topic loud pipes save lives
Ok I am looking for an old Cop Bike. I want to change the front headlights to some really bright highbeams. All three of them. I also want a 4 in 1 Kerker without a baffle. A couple antennas,Cop helmet, calf high boots, and a leather jacket. I am hoping people will see me. I am not trying to piss people off. I am just trying to be safer. Do you think people will think I am an Ahole? I think looking like a Cop is really cool. I bet the real Cops will like it also...Don't you? Any pics and suggestions would be helpfull. Please dont crack on me. I am sensitive....Russ

1976 KZ 900 B1 29 smoothbores, Kerker, Lester Mags
2008 Kawasaki Concours 14 abs

More
10 Jun 2009 05:22 #297974 by JMKZHI
Replied by JMKZHI on topic loud pipes save lives
LOL

More
10 Jun 2009 05:36 #297978 by Locozuna
Replied by Locozuna on topic loud pipes save lives
YOU'RE TOO SENSITIVE! AM NOT!! PUSSY! YOU'RE A PUSSY! BE QUIET! NO I'M AN AMERICAN TABBY! I DON'T HAVE TO BE QUIET! I HEAR YOU REVVING YOUR BIKE RIGHT UNDER MY LITTERBOX AGAIN I'LL RAM MY PAW RIGHT UP YOUR ASS! SIDEWAYS! IDIOT KITTEN! KITTEN! KITTEN! IT'S ON!

KZ900LTD, KZ750LTD, KZ650, 72'Triumph Trident
"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

More
10 Jun 2009 05:44 #297981 by Russ Jackson
Russ Jackson wrote:

Ok I am looking for an old Cop Bike. I want to change the front headlights to some really bright highbeams. All three of them. I also want a 4 in 1 Kerker without a baffle. A couple antennas,Cop helmet, calf high boots, and a leather jacket. I am hoping people will see me. I am not trying to piss people off. I am just trying to be safer. Do you think people will think I am an Ahole? I think looking like a Cop is really cool. I bet the real Cops will like it also...Don't you? Any pics and suggestions would be helpfull. Please dont crack on me. I am sensitive.... Russ

I am Really, Really, Really sorry if I Hijacked this thread....Russ

More
10 Jun 2009 07:19 #297995 by JMKZHI
Replied by JMKZHI on topic loud pipes save lives
A little toothpaste might help. It also works as a chrome polish.

Attachments:

• Kawickrice
  • User
  • After Monday & Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF
More
10 Jun 2009 07:33 #297998 by Kawickrice
Replied by Kawickrice on topic loud pipes save lives
Russ Jackson wrote:

Ok I am looking for an old Cop Bike. I want to change the front headlights to some really bright highbeams. All three of them. I also want a 4 in 1 Kerker without a baffle. A couple antennas,Cop helmet, calf high boots, and a leather jacket. I am hoping people will see me. I am not trying to piss people off. I am just trying to be safer. Do you think people will think I am an Ahole? I think looking like a Cop is really cool. I bet the real Cops will like it also...Don't you? Any pics and suggestions would be helpfull. Please dont crack on me. I am sensitive....Russ

Dress how you want just don't ride like this

[youtube]
[/youtube]

73 Kawasaki Z1
07 HD CVO Ultra Classic
82 Suzuki GS 1100
74 Yamaha RD 350 (My two stroke toy)
77 Kawasaki KZ 650B-1 (My putt around bike)
80 Indian Moped (My American Iron)
Long Gone
75 Suzuki GT550
74 GT 380
79 RD 400 Daytona Special
72 Honda CL 175
74 Honda QA 50
Tampa FL

More
10 Jun 2009 07:46 #297999 by Russ Jackson
I already have the Rayban Aviators with the mirror finish. Anyone know where I can get some of those really cool gloves. Should my wife call me Ponch or John from now on...Russ

More
10 Jun 2009 09:47 #298009 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic loud pipes save lives
I guess I was wrong, if that guy had loud pipes on his motorcycle, that stupid van wouldn't have parked there and the accident would have never happened.:) :laugh:

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.