loud pipes save lives

More
10 Jun 2009 10:16 #298015 by Locozuna
Replied by Locozuna on topic loud pipes save lives
Well there you go. You can always put one of these on your bike and not only will they hear you but they will move over for you....unless your loud pipes are drowning it out. I guess then it's too bad if you are in the ambulance or your house is on fire or the local reactor has gone critical and the neighborhood is being told to evacuate or Timmy has fallen in the well and even Lassie can't hear his horrible screams because you like your bike obnoxious and everyone else has to deal with it.

Hey if your community lets it happen or you live on Pit Row like it sounds like Kawasakiman does more power to ya. But it seems like more and more people are growing a set and not putting up with it. My advise is if you are coming around here or where they don't look the other way you better come on a nicely tuned bike OR CAR that is not waking the dead or make sure to bring your checkbook and maybe the number of a good towing company. I'd rather ride anywhere and not attract UNWANTED attention.

KZ900LTD, KZ750LTD, KZ650, 72'Triumph Trident
"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• rtdakota2001
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • MOPAR or NO CAR
More
10 Jun 2009 14:50 #298068 by rtdakota2001
Replied by rtdakota2001 on topic loud pipes save lives
N0NB wrote:

Well, Dakota, you made quite a splash! :D

As you can tell, we vintage Kaw lovers don't necessarily buy into the title of this thread. Do understand this, in a lot of motorcycling circles the mantra has played out. But also note well that there is a sizable percentage of KZ owners who do run aftermarket exahausts with some louder than others but do also note that many of them don't fool themselves into believing the mantra will save them.

Regardless, now you know what it's like for the lion who kills the antelope in front of a pack of hyenas! :D :D

Since you mentioned your Dakota, I have a question for you. I have a '97 Dak with the 5.2L Magnum V8 and the air box has started warping from the heat. As a result the filter isn't sealing completely. I drive on dusty gravel roads a lot and all the aftermarket filter setups would seem to get plugged rather quickly. Is there something out there that would pull air from the front like the stock airbox does?

i would say to get an oil free CAI system that way you can just brush it clean every now and then when you see fit. my procomp sits directly on top of my intake (like those old school ones) because i have a true ram air hood so it doesnt matter to me how dusty i get. hell, if you want my stock air box OR even my old CAI just send me a PM. :)

1980 KZ1000 shaft
2001 dodge dakota, fully built, waiting for n2o tuning.

More
10 Jun 2009 15:37 #298075 by ratricer
Replied by ratricer on topic loud pipes save lives
Wow I'm really glad I read this thread before I got too into this site. I thought it was a nice helpful site now it just appears to be full of judgemental Aholes. I used to ride just striaght headers and retuned my carbs to run a little rich. I talked to my neighbors (who don't rided and have very yong kids) they liked the idea as well as do the cops I talk to. SO All the guys that hate loud pipes if you don't like it why even respond to the question. just go on your way and ignore it. I rode with stocks and with loud pipes I have had many more close calls with stock quiet pipes.

If you want to keep on the cheap just runner straight headers and keep the mufflers for resale.

Also the flames from running rich keep you warm in the cold (i'm in michigan I know how the riding can get)

More
10 Jun 2009 15:55 - 10 Jun 2009 15:57 #298081 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic loud pipes save lives
ratricer wrote:

now it just appears to be full of judgemental Aholes.

That pretty much describes the internet in general....

ratricer wrote:

I used to ride just striaght headers and retuned my carbs to run a little rich. I talked to my neighbors (who don't rided and have very yong kids) they liked the idea as well as do the cops I talk to.

True story: back in 1980, I was trying to find a new apartment. I stopped at a place with a sign "renting" and walked up. Before I could get my mouth open, the woman said:

"We don't rent to people with motorcycles."

She explained a guy with a Harley rented there once and the engine noise caused most of her renters to leave.... seriously.

ratricer wrote:

All the guys that hate loud pipes if you don't like it why even respond to the question. just go on your way and ignore it.

I think you kind of miss the point: you can't just ignore loud pipes any more than you can just ignore the cigarette smoke coming from the guy sitting next to you in a restaurant. Noise (and smoke) attack your senses with or without your consent.

ratricer wrote:

If you want to keep on the cheap just runner straight headers and keep the mufflers for resale.

KZ mufflers and head pipes are one piece. You have to hack saw them off the pipe. They are worthless then.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 10 Jun 2009 15:57 by bountyhunter.

More
10 Jun 2009 15:55 #298082 by kawsakiman
Replied by kawsakiman on topic loud pipes save lives
Locozuna wrote:

Hey if your community lets it happen or you live on Pit Row like it sounds like Kawasakiman does more power to ya.

sorry, i don't live on pit row.
i just happen to tolerate my neighbors and their toys.
there are many harleys and classic cars that ride past my house since i'm so close to the beach.
i knew this when i bought this house.
i wanted it and i knew the neighborhood.

maybe i should just be the grumpy old man of the neighborhood who yells at kids for playing to loud as well.

hell, there might be a dog barking on the next street i should complain about as well.

i have a healthy respect for my neighbors and they have one for me.
i don't rev my bike @ 6:00am when i go to work and they give me the same respect.

the point i was trying to make was this.
maybe this new member has a wealth of info to share with us and a couple of members really let him have it for having a loud bike.

he made a valid point and i agree with him.
is everyone upset because he used a harley reference?

someday i will be able to afford my kz habit.

More
10 Jun 2009 15:59 #298083 by kawsakiman
ratricer wrote:

Wow I'm really glad I read this thread before I got too into this site. I thought it was a nice helpful site now it just appears to be full of judgemental Assholes.

it appears my point was made by this new member.

More
10 Jun 2009 16:04 #298087 by Pete1958
Replied by Pete1958 on topic loud pipes save lives
loud pipes make it easy for the cops to find you

Lancaster CO Pa 74Z1 75Z1b 76kz900 77kz1000ltd 78kz1000
Attachments:

More
10 Jun 2009 16:06 #298089 by Pete1958
Replied by Pete1958 on topic loud pipes save lives
And then your bike will look like that lmao

Lancaster CO Pa 74Z1 75Z1b 76kz900 77kz1000ltd 78kz1000

More
10 Jun 2009 16:27 #298094 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic loud pipes save lives
That motorcycle is perfect to portray the loud pipes mentality. Garbage. Be sure with the loud pipes you do the patented correct procedure in riding.
Harley= Rm,Rm,Rm constantly all all traffic lights, constantly blipping the throttle and also during upshifts and downshifts. This aids in not being rear ended I'm sure. I have a neighbor that is 50 yrs old and never rode a motorcycle in his life til he was around 47, got this loud Harley. One day he takes off out of his driveway in first, then two or three Rm, Rm, then second, slowdown for a stop sign, a couple more Rm, Rm, shift to first, take off, Rm, Rm, second gear, Rm, Rm, third. This goes on, and I count like 35 Rm, Rm before he's out of ear range. Now if you don't find this annoying, you have pretty easy going nature.
Now the Japanese noise= Keep revs up near redline, if you're going along at 55 mph for Gods sake do NOT shift into 5th or 6th, keep it in first or second gear for that great effect. I'm really not particularly fond of either. Guys that are though, that's ok too if you're sensible. I see very few sensible loud motorcycles.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
10 Jun 2009 16:30 - 10 Jun 2009 16:32 #298095 by Russ Jackson
Replied by Russ Jackson on topic loud pipes save lives
ratricer wrote:

Wow I'm really glad I read this thread before I got too into this site. I thought it was a nice helpful site now it just appears to be full of judgemental Aholes. I used to ride just striaght headers and retuned my carbs to run a little rich. I talked to my neighbors (who don't rided and have very yong kids) they liked the idea as well as do the cops I talk to. SO All the guys that hate loud pipes if you don't like it why even respond to the question. just go on your way and ignore it. I rode with stocks and with loud pipes I have had many more close calls with stock quiet pipes.

Also the flames from running rich keep you warm in the cold (i'm in michigan I know how the riding can get)

...Russ

1976 KZ 900 B1 29 smoothbores, Kerker, Lester Mags
2008 Kawasaki Concours 14 abs
Last edit: 10 Jun 2009 16:32 by Russ Jackson.

More
10 Jun 2009 16:54 #298099 by Locozuna
Replied by Locozuna on topic loud pipes save lives
kawsakiman wrote:

Locozuna wrote:

Hey if your community lets it happen or you live on Pit Row like it sounds like Kawasakiman does more power to ya.

sorry, i don't live on pit row.
i just happen to tolerate my neighbors and their toys.
there are many harleys and classic cars that ride past my house since i'm so close to the beach.
i knew this when i bought this house.
i wanted it and i knew the neighborhood.

So you knew and it didn't bother you. Cool. Others choose to live where it doesn't happen. But sooner or later someone moves in who does not care what you want any more than you care what they want. Do you think the case against the loud pipes is not valid? I would like to hear why?

maybe i should just be the grumpy old man of the neighborhood who yells at kids for playing to loud as well.

The day kids playing equals a open header or a harley backwashing I'll start yelling about that too. Don't think you are talking apples and oranges here.

hell, there might be a dog barking on the next street i should complain about as well.

Say that dog is chained under your window and it's 3am and the dog does this for a week. I suppose you are going to just buy earplugs?

i have a healthy respect for my neighbors and they have one for me.
i don't rev my bike @ 6:00am when i go to work and they give me the same respect.

I worked 3rd shift for 10 years. My 6 am and yours were at different points on the dial. Or does working 3rd shift make one a 3rd class citizen? Besides do you have tuned exhaust or did you gut a stock system or run open headers?

the point i was trying to make was this.
maybe this new member has a wealth of info to share with us and a couple of members really let him have it for having a loud bike.

he made a valid point and i agree with him.
is everyone upset because he used a harley reference?

No he came in making a statement that he was an American and has a right to loud pipes. In other words his rights are more important than others. And he attributes it to being an American? Like we are not? He also put out a lot of other info and bristled that comments were made. He got his question answered at least three times but kept telling us to answer only his questions and not comment when he was himself commenting. What is this third grade? What is the valid point? People held him to his words and a discussion started. Dude said some pretty funky things. This was no more than a lot of people get in here and they take it in stride and laugh with all of us. He bristled and started swearing and whining about assholes. If he had read the responses he would have got his answers and maybe joined in. Lots of people came in with real reasons why loud pipes are not a good thing. From the other side came they are safer which is mostly de-bunked and the narcissist but thankfully truthful "because I want them and don't care about anyone else.". It's as old as pipes themselves.
I got nothing against this guy but I don't like loud pipes. And I don't think I was flaming him. If that is the general consensus then "Dude, I apologize but I still think loud pipes suck and I can and will tell you why. Every time.
As for ratricer he lives where cops tell him they like his loud pipes. Yeah! I bet they get a new squadcar every other year just on noise fines. Maybe another 24 YO or maybe the same one?

KZ900LTD, KZ750LTD, KZ650, 72'Triumph Trident
"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

More
10 Jun 2009 17:19 #298114 by kawsakiman
lets start with his orginal question:

rtdakota2001 wrote:

ok, just as a safety thing (and because this is America god damnit) i want to get this bike of mine louder. right now its just a stock 1980 KZ1000 shaft. anyway, optimally i would like to just gut the stock mufflers and go with that because its free :D. if that's not possible, anyone have any links for some good lookin pipes that are basically straight through or at least wicked loud? i do A LOT of downtown Chicago riding for work and whatnot ( i have season White Sox tickets) and i already feel that people just DO NOT see me. so, loud pipes might get their attention and increase the likelihood that they will see me, and not kill me. any advice is appreciated guys, and the more links (products, sound clips, etc.) are greatly appreciated. thanks again!

then you wrote:

Amen brother this is America! Nobody has rights but you. Screw their right to peace and quiet you got a right to raise holy hell! Who the hell are they anyway? Don't they know your rights supersedes any old stupid right they have! You got season tickets! And you are looking for a lot more tickets! The one who dies with the most tickets wins! You want them to see you? Get a flying Elvis suit! You want them to hear you get a louder horn or a second job to play for tickets or to payoff the good citizens from vandalizing your bike. AND maybe you should reword "This is America God damn it". It sounds like you may be damning America to God instead of just yelling from the mountain how low brow, self centered, and childish some of us are. So you have enough money for Cubbies/BlancSox season tickets but cheap out when it comes to getting a nice tuned exhaust? What are they doing giving away Cubbies/BlancSox tickets these daze? Nah, just go ahead and hog out them bad old mufflers. Should be no problems.

you even insulted his baseball team!

i respect you as a longtime member here and i also know you are entitled to your opinion just like we all are.

lets just tone it down a little and see if new members need help or can offer advice to everyone.

that is what this sight is about after all.

i'm trying to be as pc as i can here.

one of my first questions here was why my buddies r6 whips my ass when both bikes were in a perfect state of tune and i got slammed for it.
i stuck around because i knew a lot was in jest.

lets just give the new guys a chance.