loud pipes save lives

• Kawickrice
  • User
  • After Monday & Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF
More
10 Jun 2009 17:23 #298120 by Kawickrice
Replied by Kawickrice on topic loud pipes save lives
I hate loud pipes...... when I am on my baffled bike.
I hate quiet pipes.....wait a minute I cant hear the quiet pipes on my loud bike. Any ways Ted Nugent once said
"If its to LOUD your to OLD". I feel to old at times, not all the time. As you get older the noise is nothing obnoxisity (is that a word?) Did you say something, I cant hear anything, I just got back from a ride. What Hello

73 Kawasaki Z1
07 HD CVO Ultra Classic
82 Suzuki GS 1100
74 Yamaha RD 350 (My two stroke toy)
77 Kawasaki KZ 650B-1 (My putt around bike)
80 Indian Moped (My American Iron)
Long Gone
75 Suzuki GT550
74 GT 380
79 RD 400 Daytona Special
72 Honda CL 175
74 Honda QA 50
Tampa FL

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Jun 2009 18:35 #298161 by coonass1
Replied by coonass1 on topic loud pipes save lives
check out craigslists, Jacksonville, Fl. ,V&H, 4-1 header used in good shape 125.00 cash...I run a V&H sidewidner dragpipe, on my 79Z1R streetbike,nothing sounds better on a kaw, good luck!!!!!!!!

More
10 Jun 2009 20:21 #298196 by KawiConvert
Replied by KawiConvert on topic loud pipes save lives
RonKZ650 wrote:

That motorcycle is perfect to portray the loud pipes mentality. Garbage. Be sure with the loud pipes you do the patented correct procedure in riding.
Harley= Rm,Rm,Rm constantly all all traffic lights, constantly blipping the throttle and also during upshifts and downshifts. This aids in not being rear ended I'm sure. I have a neighbor that is 50 yrs old and never rode a motorcycle in his life til he was around 47, got this loud Harley. One day he takes off out of his driveway in first, then two or three Rm, Rm, then second, slowdown for a stop sign, a couple more Rm, Rm, shift to first, take off, Rm, Rm, second gear, Rm, Rm, third. This goes on, and I count like 35 Rm, Rm before he's out of ear range. Now if you don't find this annoying, you have pretty easy going nature.
Now the Japanese noise= Keep revs up near redline, if you're going along at 55 mph for Gods sake do NOT shift into 5th or 6th, keep it in first or second gear for that great effect. I'm really not particularly fond of either. Guys that are though, that's ok too if you're sensible. I see very few sensible loud motorcycles.

Sorry, this thread needs to die, but I couldn't help but laugh. On the way home sitting at a light and a bike behind me catches up. Some kind of harley non-road king maybe a soft tail, sportster, who knows. Ignoring that, he sat behind me at the light running his revs up and down and up and down and.... I was laughing to myself as he was doing this in his t-shirt, jeans, half-a-brain bucket, signature glasses, and no gloves. So for kicks I left it in 2nd rather than shifting to 3rd as the road is a 50mph road and I only had a short ways to go.

And the last thing on my mind as he went by at 900rpm still building speed was that I had just hit the power and had another 3500rpm to go before redline.

Also, I couldn't hear his loud pipes over my baffled Mac 4-1 $50.00 Craigslist stunner. That is till I backed off the throttle to turn on my street. I could hear him for the rest of the block as he got his engine up to almost 1200rpm's sounding like a hippo with gas.

Moral of the story, your average harley rider... well, I won't go there. Ok, actually it is that a baffled aftermarket pipe is louder than whatever harley was behind me. Spend the moeny on a good pipe with a removable baffle. If you don't find enough bricks on your living room floor the morning after you install it and test it out at 10:30 at night, then go ahead and pull the baffle.

In the mean time we'll run the odds on when you get your first noise ticket. We are just trusting you to post when or if you do.

1978 KZ650 D1 ~ Carb jetting: 107.5 & 20 & 4th groove with pods and 4-1 Exhaust

More
10 Jun 2009 22:02 - 10 Jun 2009 22:04 #298231 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic loud pipes save lives
Locozuna wrote:

No he came in making a statement that he was an American and has a right to loud pipes. In other words his rights are more important than others.

Bullseye award. People do have the right to do whatever they want, but that right ends at the point that "doing their thing" violates other people's rights.

It's not brain surgery, there have to be sensible guidelines. And straight pipes in a residential neighborhood clearly are over the sanity line.

Societies impose rules based on the will of the majority. If you find the rules too restrictive, you can move to a place with less restrictive ordinances (like out in the the country) and do anything you want.

My buddy in Grass valley sits in a rocking chair on his back porch and shoots varmints with a scoped .308. That would get him about ten years in prison if he did it in this city.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 10 Jun 2009 22:04 by bountyhunter.

More
11 Jun 2009 05:41 #298286 by N0NB
Replied by N0NB on topic loud pipes save lives
ratricer wrote:

Wow I'm really glad I read this thread before I got too into this site. I thought it was a nice helpful site now it just appears to be full of judgemental Aholes.

Welcome, and a Laurel and Hardy handshake to you too, good sir! :lol:

Chill, dude. I think you've misread a lot of the comments. Around here you need to have your good humor hat on and let the stuff roll off. I've been here a bit over six years and during that time I've laughed, nearly cried, gotten peeved, and cheered. We're like one big frat house where most of us get along, some bust on each other, and others just don't get along well at all. You'll fit in someplace.

Nate

Nates vintage bike axiom: Riding is the reward for time spent wrenching.
Murphys corollary: Wrenching is the result of time spent riding.

1979 KZ650 (Complete!)
1979 KZ650 SR (Sold!)
1979 KL250 (For sale)
1994 Bayou 400 (four wheel peel :D )

More
11 Jun 2009 06:19 #298294 by Locozuna
Replied by Locozuna on topic loud pipes save lives
kawsakiman wrote:

you even insulted his baseball team!

I insulted his team? You are kidding right? Cubs are called cubbies and Blanc means white FYI. And insulting sports teams is a grand old pastime. I insult yours and you insult mine then we hash it out on the field. The point I was making he pleads poverty and states he has season tickets to a Major League venue. Then we find out he doesn't have them at all, his uncle does. I know I know a typical kid. What was the point anyway? Ah, we were supposed to ignore it? He told us we should ignore it and only post an answer to his QUESTION. WTF? There is another member here that cut off his exhaust and has yet to get his bike running right? Maybe we can provide a service by squashing this sort of thinking and mentality before it happens and a new rider gets too deep too quick and loses his appreciation of the sport. But to me that is still secondary to respecting the rights of others.

i respect you as a longtime member here and i also know you are entitled to your opinion just like we all are.

lets just tone it down a little and see if new members need help or can offer advice to everyone.

that is what this sight is about after all.

That IS a valid statement and OK like I said if the general consensus is I flamed the kid too bad then I apologize. I think this site is about more than helping others I think it is also about a bond between people who share the same likes. The side benefits are helping and having some fun. Sometimes I forget there can be wimmen and children here after all I don't expect them and figure if they walk into the circle they come under the same rule as we play by.

i'm trying to be as pc as i can here.

I have no idea what this means. If it means you are holding back by all means PM me if you want to go off and don;t want to post it here. I'd be glad to discuss it anywhere.

one of my first questions here was why my buddies r6 whips my ass when both bikes were in a perfect state of tune and i got slammed for it.
i stuck around because i knew a lot was in jest.

lets just give the new guys a chance.

Well I don't think I was here so I don't remember it but it looks like you took the jests in stride but I don't see the correlation of how that question would impact the rights of others as this guys did. Did you ever write I didn't ask for commentary by opinionated assholes just answer my question. When he wrote "any advice is appreciated" in the original post? Can't help it... he did get commentary by this opinionated asshole and like I said I'd do it again. He also got his questions answered pretty quick too.

Nowa daze people get to throw anything out of their pie hole or type anything with their little fingers and then take no responsibility for that comes out. They can't read or write and go around acting all tough and gangsta. parents have sired kids and basically abandoned them preferring to work and buy off the little ones who learn to live life from video games and rap music. Then the send the little darlings off to school to get civilized. By then the teachers can't do anything with them and they get the blame. So the kid gets his edjumication papers and he is an entitled little puckered up idiot. They strut around with attitudes they can't afford and because they cannot listen, read or write they will never grow up or learn. Some get called by Uncle Sam and are given a second education but even that is changing. I guess this is my "hey you kids get off my lawn" rant but take a good look around. Sure you will find exceptions and it's scary that these few are the hope of humanity but in my opinionated asshole opinion this planet is screwed and so are our children. Let me assure you that things have drastically changed. Used to be most people were trying to make a better place for everyone but now the common thought is "Screw everyone else I'm doing what I damn well please...it's called freedom baby....deal with it!". Maybe I'm an old dinosaur and the old dino's of my days were saying the same old thing. In that case it all comes out in the wash. But as the world gets smaller and more crowded and more idiots gets incredible destructive power and food, good power and intelligence dwindles I can't see how anyone who thinks can be feeling good.

KZ900LTD, KZ750LTD, KZ650, 72'Triumph Trident
"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

More
11 Jun 2009 07:06 #298309 by N0NB
Replied by N0NB on topic loud pipes save lives
Loco, just remember this gem, "Intelligence is a constant. The population is increasing."

:D

Nate

Nates vintage bike axiom: Riding is the reward for time spent wrenching.
Murphys corollary: Wrenching is the result of time spent riding.

1979 KZ650 (Complete!)
1979 KZ650 SR (Sold!)
1979 KL250 (For sale)
1994 Bayou 400 (four wheel peel :D )

More
11 Jun 2009 08:21 #298326 by Russ Jackson
Replied by Russ Jackson on topic loud pipes save lives
It just seems more people are selfish today than at any other time. When I was young I raced around the block on my new Elsinore rat tat tat. A neighbor told my Dad about it and he cracked me upside the head because I should have known better. A Dad today might kick the other guys ass or started something. Back then we Policed ourselves like Men. Punk behavior was never allowed. Its all about Me today and it is sad. Phones ringing in restaurants, church, loud conversations so everyone can hear about our shitty lives. Men with nothing good to say about ther wives. Kids that have never been told to open doors for others. Kids respecting adults, police, and service men and women is a thing of the past. The loud pipes are just a small sample of the Me attitude today. If you think it will upset someone don't do it. Heck why not just stop by your neughbors house and ask. We used to know all of our neighbors and if they stopped by to complain we listened. Today they are scared it will get physical so they get even in the dark hours. I understand a kid with a loud bike or car. But a full grown adult should know better. Watch out for your neighbor not because you might need him later but because its the right thing to do. It isnt all about you. The Me thing has to stop...Love...Russ

1976 KZ 900 B1 29 smoothbores, Kerker, Lester Mags
2008 Kawasaki Concours 14 abs

More
11 Jun 2009 19:49 #298512 by KawiConvert
Russ Jackson wrote:

It just seems more people are selfish today than at any other time. When I was young I raced around the block on my new Elsinore rat tat tat. A neighbor told my Dad about it and he cracked me upside the head because I should have known better. A Dad today might kick the other guys ass or started something. Back then we Policed ourselves like Men. Punk behavior was never allowed. Its all about Me today and it is sad. Phones ringing in restaurants, church, loud conversations so everyone can hear about our shitty lives. Men with nothing good to say about ther wives. Kids that have never been told to open doors for others. Kids respecting adults, police, and service men and women is a thing of the past. The loud pipes are just a small sample of the Me attitude today. If you think it will upset someone don't do it. Heck why not just stop by your neughbors house and ask. We used to know all of our neighbors and if they stopped by to complain we listened. Today they are scared it will get physical so they get even in the dark hours. I understand a kid with a loud bike or car. But a full grown adult should know better. Watch out for your neighbor not because you might need him later but because its the right thing to do. It isnt all about you. The Me thing has to stop...Love...Russ

I've seen a lot of this, with the mentality that whatever I am doing right now is more important than anything else I could/should be doing. Or in this case, what I want is more important than what others want. Like robbing someone, my wife and I have yet to understand how someone feels they have the right to take something that is not theirs. In this case your taking away peace and quiet just to feel safer on a bike. Better off wearing pink-panther racing leathers with a mohawk on your helmet. Then they'll see you and thats worth 5 times the safety of them hearing you.

More
11 Jun 2009 22:08 #298535 by dangedcoyote
Replied by dangedcoyote on topic loud pipes save lives
Sandy wrote:

Imagine MY surprise when I was about to do a lane-change,and a blue blur goes flying by me like I was in reverse.:ohmy:
I was driving my full-size van up a hill,and was just about to change lanes to get past a rig,when this guy whooshed by me like a lightning-bolt.
I HAD been taking glances in my mirror,knowing that I was going to be passing this rig sooner or later.
I had my windows wide open at the time too,but I did NOT hear the bike approaching me...at all.
That bike was SO quiet,I couldn't believe it.
He would have been 100% at fault(speeding like a madman),but can you imagine how I would have felt?:(

Tough call,boys and girls:huh:

Actually you would have been at fault. It would be called reckless endangerment I believe. You are to be in control at all times of your vehicle. Not to hurt anyones feelings here since that is not my reasoning.

I would love to know where that guy got his mufflers. I agree I hate loud bikes too and believe it is childish. Tests have shown that you can hear the loud bikes going a lot better compared to approach. so if it has to be loud think about turning them the other way.

No one wants to kill another rider or see another one die but it is not the muffler that has ever saved anyones ass out there. Give that credit to the one who deserves it... it is a mad jungle out there and gets worse with our greater "technology".

1982 kawasaki KZ 440 LTD BELT D4

More
11 Jun 2009 23:55 #298537 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic loud pipes save lives
dangedcoyote wrote:

Actually you would have been at fault. It would be called reckless endangerment I believe. You are to be in control at all times of your vehicle.

No, it MIGHT have been called an unsafe lane change, but if the situation was as described, most of the blame goes to the speeder who could be cited for reckless driving. Blame for an accident is not always 100% on one driver, in fact it frequently is not.

People must look both ways and check their mirrors, but if somebody travels at very high speed, they are too small to be seen by a driver making a reasonable effort.

Further, he might see the other vehicle and judge it's overtaking speed to be SOMETHING SANE which would make him incorrectly estimate whether or not it was safe to pull out, pass, change lanes, etc.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
12 Jun 2009 00:47 #298540 by KawiConvert
Either way, most of your sound is focused behind you. That is the way the pipes are pointed so unless they are in a car that blocks out all wind noise without blocking anything else out they still won't hear you approaching. Best you can hope for is when your cruising next to them in their blind spot they'll hear you and not change into your lane.

As for the quiet rocket, by chance was he off the throttle and drifting past? Seems odd to be flying on a near silent bike.