loud pipes save lives

More
17 Jun 2009 15:13 #299956 by Russ Jackson
Replied by Russ Jackson on topic loud pipes save lives
rtdakota2001 wrote:

thank you sweet back, oh and just to clarify to you you who bash the harley guys, if i could afford one i would have bought one. i couldnt, so i found something cheap, which was my KZ1000, i'm not knocking it, seems like a good bike, but, had i had the money to spend i would be riding an h-d right now. no doubt.

Now is the time to buy one especially Vintage. There are some great deals out there. Knuckles have come down. 60s sportsters. Anything in the 70s. I love the old stuff and owned alot of them. Your KZ1000 is a completely different machine. Kind of like comparing a 68 Caddy to a 68 Cuda. Both great cars but nothing in common except for 4 wheels...Russ

1976 KZ 900 B1 29 smoothbores, Kerker, Lester Mags
2008 Kawasaki Concours 14 abs

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• rtdakota2001
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • MOPAR or NO CAR
More
17 Jun 2009 15:16 #299958 by rtdakota2001
Replied by rtdakota2001 on topic loud pipes save lives
Russ Jackson wrote:

rtdakota2001 wrote:

thank you sweet back, oh and just to clarify to you you who bash the harley guys, if i could afford one i would have bought one. i couldnt, so i found something cheap, which was my KZ1000, i'm not knocking it, seems like a good bike, but, had i had the money to spend i would be riding an h-d right now. no doubt.

Now is the time to buy one especially Vintage. There are some great deals out there. Knuckles have come down. 60s sportsters. Anything in the 70s. I love the old stuff and owned alot of them. Your KZ1000 is a completely different machine. Kind of like comparing a 68 Caddy to a 68 Cuda. Both great cars but nothing in common except for 4 wheels...Russ

agreed, two different machines, both good for what they are. i am not against kawi's at all, i like mine so far, its been good to me. BUT, that being said i would love a H-D or even and old Indian. i have a thing for classic American vehicles.

1980 KZ1000 shaft
2001 dodge dakota, fully built, waiting for n2o tuning.

More
17 Jun 2009 16:27 #299969 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic loud pipes save lives
brianrae33 wrote:

please let this thread ie a pieceful death soon!!!

It would be more appropriate if it dies a loud and noisy death.....

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
17 Jun 2009 16:34 #299971 by Russ Jackson
rtdakota2001 wrote:

Russ Jackson wrote:

rtdakota2001 wrote:

agreed, two different machines, both good for what they are. i am not against kawi's at all, i like mine so far, its been good to me. BUT, that being said i would love a H-D or even and old Indian. i have a thing for classic American vehicles.

My KZ900 is Made in the USA...Russ

More
17 Jun 2009 17:00 #299977 by jtmcculloch
Replied by jtmcculloch on topic loud pipes save lives
Here is my opinion - And my opinion is the only one that counts :)

Loud Pipes do not save lives - all they do is piss people off.
Almost all wrecks are from the front or t-bones.
People only hear loud pipes if you are in front or beside them.

To Survive you need to ride as if you are invisable and assume no one can see you.

I have spoken, now all is right with the world :)

76 KZ1075
93 ZR1100
71 Moto-guzzi 750
2001 ZR-7S

More
17 Jun 2009 22:27 #300123 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic loud pipes save lives
jtmcculloch wrote:

Here is my opinion - And my opinion is the only one that counts :)

Loud Pipes do not save lives - all they do is piss people off.
Almost all wrecks are from the front or t-bones.
People only hear loud pipes if you are in front or beside them.

To Survive you need to ride as if you are invisable and assume no one can see you.

I have spoken, now all is right with the world :)

Well said, but since what you have spoken is not what they want to hear........ they won't hear.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

• gibson_david28
  • User
  • Welcome to my world!
More
18 Jun 2009 16:28 #300394 by gibson_david28
Replied by gibson_david28 on topic loud pipes save lives
Here is an idea..Tell the man how to do what was asked. Opinions are like assholes...well you know the rest. Please someone give the man a couple good answers on what he asked, and lets get on with our lives. A lot of diversity on here, and this thread could very well never end! I myself believe in freedom of choice. (until after dark when my kids are asleep, then its freedom of louisville slugger)lol...I cant believe I just sat here and read 7 pages of this stuff...Anyway thats my 2 cents..Have a good one..All of you

81 kz650 (nightmare) hasn't been ran in years! Lucky me, but got it free!
Attachments:

• Kawickrice
  • User
  • After Monday & Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF
More
18 Jun 2009 17:28 #300404 by Kawickrice
Replied by Kawickrice on topic loud pipes save lives
This is the second post, first answer. I do believe his questions were answered.

Kawickrice wrote:

Just about any unbaffled header will be loud. Check on ebay you might get a used one pretty cheap.

73 Kawasaki Z1
07 HD CVO Ultra Classic
82 Suzuki GS 1100
74 Yamaha RD 350 (My two stroke toy)
77 Kawasaki KZ 650B-1 (My putt around bike)
80 Indian Moped (My American Iron)
Long Gone
75 Suzuki GT550
74 GT 380
79 RD 400 Daytona Special
72 Honda CL 175
74 Honda QA 50
Tampa FL

• Kawickrice
  • User
  • After Monday & Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF
More
18 Jun 2009 17:29 #300405 by Kawickrice
Replied by Kawickrice on topic loud pipes save lives
And the fourth post.

Kawickrice wrote:

It will sound like crap through factory pipes.

73 Kawasaki Z1
07 HD CVO Ultra Classic
82 Suzuki GS 1100
74 Yamaha RD 350 (My two stroke toy)
77 Kawasaki KZ 650B-1 (My putt around bike)
80 Indian Moped (My American Iron)
Long Gone
75 Suzuki GT550
74 GT 380
79 RD 400 Daytona Special
72 Honda CL 175
74 Honda QA 50
Tampa FL

More
19 Jun 2009 05:13 #300541 by N0NB
Replied by N0NB on topic loud pipes save lives
I was in Wichita yesterday and was overtaken by several bikes. I was driving an extended cab Dodge Ram 4x4 and in no case could I hear the bike until the rear of his bike was even or just past the rear of my pickup. At that point they were in my blind spot so in that position the pipes would provide awareness. That said, I'm not sure the pipes needed to be all that loud for me to know they were there. That said, I was aware of their presence long before I ever heard them.

Nate

Nates vintage bike axiom: Riding is the reward for time spent wrenching.
Murphys corollary: Wrenching is the result of time spent riding.

1979 KZ650 (Complete!)
1979 KZ650 SR (Sold!)
1979 KL250 (For sale)
1994 Bayou 400 (four wheel peel :D )

More
19 Jun 2009 06:15 #300548 by Locozuna
Replied by Locozuna on topic loud pipes save lives
gibson_david28 wrote:

Here is an idea..Tell the man how to do what was asked. Opinions are like assholes...well you know the rest. Please someone give the man a couple good answers on what he asked, and lets get on with our lives. A lot of diversity on here, and this thread could very well never end! I myself believe in freedom of choice. (until after dark when my kids are asleep, then its freedom of louisville slugger)lol...I cant believe I just sat here and read 7 pages of this stuff...Anyway thats my 2 cents..Have a good one..All of you

I guess you didn't read the 7 pages real good. He got his answers pretty quickly. So opinions are like assholes...if you really feel that way why give yours? And please somebody tell me where this boys freedom was stepped on ? No one said you cannot build this bike or you cannot gut your muffler system. The closest anyone got to that was "don't bring the bike to our town" which should be listed under "good advice" because he does not have the cash to pay the resulting fines. So no one has said you can't build it. You are FREE to build it. You are FREE to ride it. But you are not free to make others lose their freedom of not putting up with it. But they don't use a baseball bat. (lol?) Do you want those who don't like the noise to go out knocking those riders off the bikes with a bat? So all in all I guess you really didn't read all 7 pages very well. Ya know it really boils down to trying to save someone some grief. Between tickets and fines, and a ratty running and sounding bike, and fatigue and scaring blue hairs into swerving into him not to mention burning valves his action had repercussions. He didn't want to hear them but he is not the only one reading and maybe we saved someone who has good reading comprehension a lot of trouble. If he wanted to uber control the answers and the thread maybe a PM would have been better. So you gave your 2 cents after telling us we should not have given ours. priceless.

KZ900LTD, KZ750LTD, KZ650, 72'Triumph Trident
"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

More
19 Jun 2009 07:27 #300557 by Russ Jackson
Starting today I am removing the Baffle out of my Kerker. I am also buying 20 female cats and 4 males. I am painting my condo flourecent purple. I will no longer cut my grass. I will not shower more than once a week. I will only use my phone in the speaker mode. I will cook only with Curry. I will start smoking and when my children and friends (if I have any left) are in the car I will roll the windows up. I will change my oil in the Wallmart parking lot over the storm drain. I will also empty my ashtray there. It is my freedom to do this and if others have a problem I really don't care. If they want to discuss ot with me I will be waiting. But they better bring friends or a weapon. I am a bad man with lots of cats. I look and smell pretty bad also. I have a No Fear sticker on my truck as well as a crooked Harley Sticker, and Calvin Pissin on a Ford Logo decal. I also wear OCC glasses 24/7..Good Luck. Bring it...Russ