Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg NOW ! 23 Aug 2013 10:07 #602761

• Motor Head
  • Motor Head's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
  • Thank you received: 391

Killman wrote: There's no huge rush on my end. The ferry's are going to be a nightmare on the long weekend. If you guys want to do it the next weekend, it's more than fine by me.
Especially with Schuss saying he lives right downtown by the ferry terminal, I can pretty much meet him anytime. B)

So are you Not coming over the Long Weekend? Planning on another time to meet Schuss?
Completely up to you and your/ Schuss's schedule. Not many riders getting involved this summer, especially in the PNW compared to the Pins on the Relay Map. Sure would be nice to have a Big Group to ride a bit, and get an impressive Photo. But you need to do whats right for you.
1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg NOW ! 23 Aug 2013 10:26 #602765

• Motor Head
  • User
Almost didn't happen.
My ride last weekend to meet up to transfer the Flag nearly didn't happen. Of course we all know about the crash, Kaw-a-holic hitting the guard rail after having a Deer jump in front of him.
There was also 2 other incidents the could have been spoilers.
Here in east Oregon, a few hours after I rode through on Hi-way 26, thunderstorms flooded and washed out the road. I could have been in that storm if I wasn't such an early riser. Then I wouldn't have made the meet either.
Once I was at the campground, with no cell coverage, I had no way to know of Jon's crash. If it wasn't for Mike 0537 from Boise, who rode up that evening to tell me of the situation. I would have not been able to make such a trek up to meet with Jon, as I started Way Early that next morning.
Then when I was trying to meet up with Jon/ Kaw-a-holic up in Idaho on the 12. I went to far, all the way into Montana. Turns out as I rode through east, I saw a plume of smoke on the hill side. The Forest Fire Fighters were on the side of the road, spotting it. About an hour or so later when I rode west, back through, there was 5 trucks and a Helicopter with a water bucket dousing flames. Turns out the Hi-way was closed that night. So Jon was lucky to get back through that pass to go home to Montanna, and I count myself lucky to have been able to ride through as well to make the meet with him. Lolo has been full of smoke and the Pass closed for several days.
Lots of stuff can happen out there traveling, whether its on a bike or other transportation.
:S
1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.

Last edit: by Motor Head.

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg NOW ! 23 Aug 2013 11:35 #602774

• schuss
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5

Motor Head wrote:

schuss wrote:

Killman wrote: There's no huge rush on my end. The ferry's are going to be a nightmare on the long weekend. If you guys want to do it the next weekend, it's more than fine by me.
Especially with Schuss saying he lives right downtown by the ferry terminal, I can pretty much meet him anytime. B)

Killman, I can always meet them Labor Day weekend and then you and I can meet up separately for the WA->BC handover, if Labor Day weekend isn't ideal for you.

Schuss, have you got your bike ready?
Are you still planning on meeting us as we come into your area? If so I belive we are coming into Seattle area via this route through to Enumclaw. Copy and paste this map link in your browsers address bar. goo.gl/maps/6NVPt
See where you want to meet. Post a Destination in the relay thread. Then we can all see it and Killman can as well.

I'm working on it, my bike should be ready. I'm thinking that I'll meet you in Enumclaw.

Last edit: by schuss.

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg NOW ! 23 Aug 2013 16:51 #602805

• Killman
  • User
  • Now with 99% more ducks
  • Thank you received: 12
Tracking says that my tires are slated to get here on the 28th, but I work that night and I wanted to get an early ferry the next morning. If they come in late in the day, I'm not sure I'll have time to mount and balance them. I'd also like to have a shakedown with the new rubber before riding to Seattle.
It's looking like I might have to make it the next weekend. Sorry Guys :(
1983 kz440 ltd
Quack

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg NOW ! 23 Aug 2013 17:52 #602807

• kaw-a-holic
  • User
  • Thank you received: 248

Killman wrote: Tracking says that my tires are slated to get here on the 28th, but I work that night and I wanted to get an early ferry the next morning. If they come in late in the day, I'm not sure I'll have time to mount and balance them. I'd also like to have a shakedown with the new rubber before riding to Seattle.

Who is the carrier I usually call and have them hold package there so I can pick it up first thing in the morning
wouldn't hurt to call
Jon
1977 KZ1000a1
Mesa, AZ
Phoenix Fighter Project

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg NOW ! 23 Aug 2013 21:23 #602819

• Motor Head
  • User

kaw-a-holic wrote:

Killman wrote: Tracking says that my tires are slated to get here on the 28th, but I work that night and I wanted to get an early ferry the next morning. If they come in late in the day, I'm not sure I'll have time to mount and balance them. I'd also like to have a shakedown with the new rubber before riding to Seattle.

Who is the carrier I usually call and have them hold package there so I can pick it up first thing in the morning
wouldn't hurt to call

Excellent call Kaw-a-holic. You can log into their website and change the delivery to hold at depo, for both UPS and Fedex in the US anyway. Not sure about Canada, or their Mail/ Post.

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg NOW ! 23 Aug 2013 22:19 #602825

• Motor Head
  • User
Looks like there won't be a Flag movement/ transfer this weekend after all.
But I'm pretty sure the Labor Day Flag transfer Will take place. The big question being will it stay in Seattle for a while, before Killman makes it down to meet Schuss, or will Killman make it on the Labor Day weekend?
Either way, it should be a great ride up in the Washington mountains for us Oregon riders. I'm trying to get KZCSI/ Bill to ride at lest part way, then he can carry the Flag for a bit. ;)

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg NOW ! 23 Aug 2013 22:56 #602830

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Walking Behind the Corn May Not Be All That!
  • Thank you received: 1306
I'm ready to ride over Labor Day. Thanks for organizing the hand off Daryl.

Bill
www.KZ1300.com
Riders:
1968 BSA 441 Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 W3, 1976 KZ900, 1979 KZ750 Twin, 1979 KZ750 Twin Trike, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 2000 Valkyrie, 2009 Yamaha Roadliner S. 1983 GL 1100
Projects:
1985 ZN1300

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg NOW ! 24 Aug 2013 10:09 #602863

• Motor Head
  • User
Alright, thats the way. We are going to have a fun ride. You will carry the flag From Bend to Carson, then Hand off to Toolmaker, then once we get up there Toolmaker can Hand off to Schuss.
Sweet!
Now do you want to wait till next Saturday for me to hand off to you. If you take it earlier, you can sit down and read through the Log Book. Once you make it to Carson, we can wait for you to make an entry, then hand it all to Toolmaker.
B)

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg NOW ! 24 Aug 2013 10:28 #602866

• toolmaker
  • User
  • Thank you received: 19

Motor Head wrote: Almost didn't happen.
My ride last weekend to meet up to transfer the Flag nearly didn't happen. Of course we all know about the crash, Kaw-a-holic hitting the guard rail after having a Deer jump in front of him.
There was also 2 other incidents the could have been spoilers.
Here in east Oregon, a few hours after I rode through on Hi-way 26, thunderstorms flooded and washed out the road. I could have been in that storm if I wasn't such an early riser. Then I wouldn't have made the meet either.
Once I was at the campground, with no cell coverage, I had no way to know of Jon's crash. If it wasn't for Mike 0537 from Boise, who rode up that evening to tell me of the situation. I would have not been able to make such a trek up to meet with Jon, as I started Way Early that next morning.
Then when I was trying to meet up with Jon/ Kaw-a-holic up in Idaho on the 12. I went to far, all the way into Montana. Turns out as I rode through east, I saw a plume of smoke on the hill side. The Forest Fire Fighters were on the side of the road, spotting it. About an hour or so later when I rode west, back through, there was 5 trucks and a Helicopter with a water bucket dousing flames. Turns out the Hi-way was closed that night. So Jon was lucky to get back through that pass to go home to Montanna, and I count myself lucky to have been able to ride through as well to make the meet with him. Lolo has been full of smoke and the Pass closed for several days.
Lots of stuff can happen out there traveling, whether its on a bike or other transportation.
:S

I just hope there aren't any fires up there - that is a great road and I'd hate to see it closed.
Enumclaw works for me.
I do have to laugh at the map where it tells you how long it will take to travel the route....... :woohoo: :laugh: :laugh: :dry:
I live near Portland, Oregon and my rider is a '76 KZ900 I bought new. I'm also in the process of restoring another one and a '73 Z1.

Last edit: by toolmaker. Reason: spellcheck

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg NOW ! 25 Aug 2013 00:10 #602942

• Motor Head
  • User
We just got back in from a 400 mile ride which covered at least the Oregon part of the ride. All good roads fine etc.
It sounds like KZCSI/ Bill will join us next Saturday, and ride from Bent to Carson, then head back. So we should have a few riders from Bend meeting up with Toolmaker at Carson next Saturday.

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg NOW ! 26 Aug 2013 09:26 #603114

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Walking Behind the Corn May Not Be All That!
  • Thank you received: 1306
Motorhead and I will ride to Carson this Saturday via Hood River. Leaving Bend at 6:30 AM, should be going through Hood River about 10:00 AM. After we hand off to Toolmaker, Motorhead will continue on to visit family near Seattle, I'll turn East then South through Grass Valley back to Central Oregon. Total distance should be about 350 miles. I'm going to ride with a chest mounted GoPro, hoping to get some footage of Mt. Hood and the Bridge of the Gods at Cascade Locks. I know we've got some other members in Central Oregon, if you've got the time, Let's Go.

Bill
www.KZ1300.com
Riders:
1968 BSA 441 Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 W3, 1976 KZ900, 1979 KZ750 Twin, 1979 KZ750 Twin Trike, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 2000 Valkyrie, 2009 Yamaha Roadliner S. 1983 GL 1100
Projects:
1985 ZN1300