KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg

• Forrest
  • Sustaining Member
  • The Mad Duck
More
20 Aug 2013 15:08 #602329 by Forrest

kaw-a-holic wrote: Here are the pics that I finally got downloaded off the camera.

OOPS

THE HAND OFF

Hey Jon, I suggest you and others posting pictures here in the North West Leg Thread also post up in the NORTH AMERICAN RELAY RIDE PHOTO ALBUM Thread. >>>> www.kzrider.com/forum/17-ride-reports/50...hoto-album?start=220

BTW, hope you are doing well Brother. I like your attitude after your get off about still making the Four Corners Rally. We definitely NEED to make this happen even more so now! You Rock! B)

KZ RIDER RELAY FLAG CARRIER #55
1977 KZ650B Ready & Fit to Roll Anywhere!
1974 F7 175 -first bike and still own, full resto soon!
2002 ZRX1200R -Red the faster color
2011 Concours 14 -Now a Snarling Wolf in Sheep's Clothing!

The following user(s) said Thank You: kaw-a-holic

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Killman
  • User
  • Now with 99% more ducks
More
20 Aug 2013 16:39 #602334 by Killman
Jesus! I'm glad you're okay, must've been some major pucker-factor there. Sorry to see the bike's all dinged up.

Yup, I could definitely use some help with the bike. I was thinking it might be a failed solder on the start switch, I'll be taking a peek at it this afternoon. I've got some spare fuses too, so I'll try switching those out and see.
Assuming my new Avons get here in time, I'll just be riding my bike anyways, so hopefully the 750's a non-issue, I just like to be prepared.

My passport is good until next year, so that's good to go. I figure I'll take the Coho to Seattle, ride to meet you guys and then ferry back to the island. Another KZ'er contacted me and wants to take part, so I figure we'll get together when I get it into Canada and see about how we want to return it South. I'd still like to get it up to Alaska, but like I said, time is tight. The lecturer for my tax course speaks English about as well as I knit, so it's a lot of home study.

1983 kz440 ltd
Quack

• Motor Head
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
20 Aug 2013 21:53 - 21 Aug 2013 10:14 #602371 by Motor Head

TomW wrote:

Motor Head wrote: So I rode 1300+ miles round trip,in three days, but 800 on Sunday. With an average of 40 MPG, not bad considering. I did get the Finger from one Harley rider.

I doff my hat to you sir. 800 miles in a day is one hell of a long ride on a 35 year old muscle bike. Do you think you could have/would have done it without the Windjammer? You've made an epic ride, truly deserving of a toast of the finest beverage of your choice. I'll have a belt of Kentuckys finest from Bourbon County, and a beer. Bottoms up.

As for the rude behavior of the H-D riders, they are puffing their chests out a little more than usual around here. The 110th anniversary party is about to begin in Milwaukee and the locals are getting pumped up about it. Maybe that guy you saw is coming my way in a week or so. Probably he's just a jerk.

Once again, congradulations on a fine ride and thank you for making the extra effort to keep the flag moving. See you at the Four Corners.

Thanks Tom. The way you worded the quote, it sounds like I did something to provoke that Hog Rider, but all I did was a low wave peace sign.
I hope the 4 corners rally does happen. I'll be in for it.

The Windjammer fairing and the hard bags from Vetter make these sort of rides Much easier. The amount of gear you can carry all tucked away, and the protection from the bugs, Rocks, Weather is Fantastic. Some call it a "Barn Door", but I added mine to this bike after having a 1100 A2 Shaftdrive that had one. Nice for long trips.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...
Last edit: 21 Aug 2013 10:14 by Motor Head.

• Motor Head
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
20 Aug 2013 21:57 #602372 by Motor Head

Killman wrote: Jesus! I'm glad you're okay, must've been some major pucker-factor there. Sorry to see the bike's all dinged up.

Yup, I could definitely use some help with the bike. I was thinking it might be a failed solder on the start switch, I'll be taking a peek at it this afternoon. I've got some spare fuses too, so I'll try switching those out and see.
Assuming my new Avons get here in time, I'll just be riding my bike anyways, so hopefully the 750's a non-issue, I just like to be prepared.

My passport is good until next year, so that's good to go. I figure I'll take the Coho to Seattle, ride to meet you guys and then ferry back to the island. Another KZ'er contacted me and wants to take part, so I figure we'll get together when I get it into Canada and see about how we want to return it South. I'd still like to get it up to Alaska, but like I said, time is tight. The lecturer for my tax course speaks English about as well as I knit, so it's a lot of home study.

If you need some help with the bike, post a new thread, if you haven't yet.
Good to here the passport is still good. Hopefully we can all meet in about 10-11 days. It will come quick. Looking forward to first the hand-off this weekend to Toolmaker. Then getting together again with him and his wife, then riding up to Seattle to meet Schuss and you. This should be a good ride for all.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.

• Killman
  • User
More
20 Aug 2013 22:08 #602375 by Killman
I posted a thread under Electrical a couple of days ago. No responses yet.

Looks like the Coho gets me to Port Angeles, then I'd be taking another ferry to Seattle, should be fun. I figure on overnighting at a campground somewhere, hopefully close to the Port Angeles ferry for the way back the next day. If I leave Saturday morning, I should be able to make it back in time for work on Sunday night. Maybe :laugh:

Looking forward to it, be nice to meet you guys.

1983 kz440 ltd
Quack

• Motor Head
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
20 Aug 2013 22:33 #602379 by Motor Head

Killman wrote: I posted a thread under Electrical a couple of days ago. No responses yet.

Looks like the Coho gets me to Port Angeles, then I'd be taking another ferry to Seattle, should be fun. I figure on overnighting at a campground somewhere, hopefully close to the Port Angeles ferry for the way back the next day. If I leave Saturday morning, I should be able to make it back in time for work on Sunday night. Maybe :laugh:

Looking forward to it, be nice to meet you guys.

Have you got details of the Ferry Schedule? When would you dock? I haven't been on the Olympic side since I was a about 12, in the early 70's. I would ride out there, not sure about Toolmaker, but I would say most likely. Probably Schuss also, he seems to want to ride. I hope he has his bike sorted so he can.
Anyways, post or PM your plans, one you have them. I'm pretty open, and it sounds like Toolmaker is planning on making it a riding weekend! ;)
Got a link to your other problem bike thread? I was out so I missed it.

• Killman
  • User
More
20 Aug 2013 22:37 #602382 by Killman
Here's the link:
kzrider.com/forum/4-electrical/590622-re...signs-of-life-doctor

I was hoping to see a bit of Seattle, I've never been. Haven't been South of the border since I was a little kid.

1983 kz440 ltd
Quack

• Motor Head
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
20 Aug 2013 23:42 #602396 by Motor Head
It sounds like we have a plan for this Saturday to meet Toolmaker from Portland for another hand-off. Meeting either in Timberline or Government Camp area. He will be carrying it up to Seattle on the Labor Day weekend, and I have plans to accompany him. Killman will take the Ferry down, so now we just need to hear from Schuss as well.
Oh lots more riding coming up in the next couple of weekends. B)

• TomW
  • User
  • Keep the blue side up.
More
21 Aug 2013 00:22 #602405 by TomW

Motor Head wrote:

TomW wrote:

Motor Head wrote: So I rode 1300+ miles round trip,in three days, but 800 on Sunday. With an average of 40 MPG, not bad considering. I did get the Finger from one Harley rider.

I doff my hat to you sir. 800 miles in a day is one hell of a long ride on a 35 year old muscle bike. Do you think you could have/would have done it without the Windjammer? You've made an epic ride, truly deserving of a toast of the finest beverage of your choice. I'll have a belt of Kentuckys finest from Bourbon County, and a beer. Bottoms up.

As for the rude behavior of the H-D riders, they are puffing their chests out a little more than usual around here. The 110th anniversary party is about to begin in Milwaukee and the locals are getting pumped up about it. Maybe that guy you saw is coming my way in a week or so. Probably he's just a jerk.

Once again, congradulations on a fine ride and thank you for making the extra effort to keep the flag moving. See you at the Four Corners.

Thanks Tom. The way you worded the quote, it sounds like I did something to provoke that Hog Rider, but all I did was a low wave peace sign.
I hope the 4 corners rally does happen. I'll be in for it.

Just riding a ujmc is enuf to agravate some HD riders. I didn't think u did anything to provoke him. Is there a planned date for the 4 corners rally?

'78 KZ1000B2 LTD stock + Vetter Fairing & luggage
'91 ZG1200B5 Voyager XII, stock

• Motor Head
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
21 Aug 2013 00:28 #602407 by Motor Head
To be decided yet, Tom. As its a rally at or after the 2012 relay, I'd say it could be another couple of months, or next spring/ summer. It will start to get cold there by Halloween or so. Very hard to say on the weather much after mid October. People will need to know well in advance to schedule time for it.

More
21 Aug 2013 09:19 #602431 by toolmaker

Motor Head wrote: It sounds like we have a plan for this Saturday to meet Toolmaker from Portland for another hand-off. Meeting either in Timberline or Government Camp area. He will be carrying it up to Seattle on the Labor Day weekend, and I have plans to accompany him. Killman will take the Ferry down, so now we just need to hear from Schuss as well.

Sounds right....not sure if we want to ferry up to Canada though. Then again..... :unsure:

I live near Portland, Oregon and my rider is a '76 KZ900 I bought new. I'm also in the process of restoring another one and a '73 Z1.

• Motor Head
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
21 Aug 2013 09:44 #602434 by Motor Head

toolmaker wrote:

Motor Head wrote: It sounds like we have a plan for this Saturday to meet Toolmaker from Portland for another hand-off. Meeting either in Timberline or Government Camp area. He will be carrying it up to Seattle on the Labor Day weekend, and I have plans to accompany him. Killman will take the Ferry down, so now we just need to hear from Schuss as well.

Sounds right....not sure if we want to ferry up to Canada though. Then again..... :unsure:

Killman will be landing at Port Angeles, on Saturday, but I don't know what time. So there is no reason for you to go above the border unless you get the urge. It is very pretty up there. You'd have to have a full tank of fuel before crossing, or be prepared to anti up a bunch for fuel.