Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg NOW ! 19 Aug 2013 18:29 #602178

• Gary - K7GLD
  • User
  • 1983 1100LTD
  • Thank you received: 17
OK, and yet another handoff has taken place today - from Motor Head (Daryl) to me, for a ride from John Day Oregon down to Dayville Oregon - then back to Daryl to continue with him to Bend Oregon. Sorry for the poor cell phone quality pic of Daryl - hopefully Daryl will have a better one later from his camera.

Great to meet and ride with Daryl, especially since he went so MANY extra miles to make connections these last few days! Should be a pic and writeup in the local John Day paper, if so, I'll post it later.

John Day area - Eastern Oregon
Restored 1983 Kawasaki 1100LTD
The following user(s) said Thank You: Motor Head

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Gary - K7GLD.

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg NOW ! 19 Aug 2013 19:08 #602189

• Forrest
  • Sustaining Member
  • The Mad Duck
  • Thank you received: 178
Way to Go Daryl AND Gary! :woohoo: B) Really glad you were both able to make it happen. I passed the flag to Jon. He then passed it in spite of some challenges to Daryl. Now on to you! All you guys rock! No rush just plan the next hand-off and make it happen. ;)
KZ RIDER RELAY FLAG CARRIER #55
1977 KZ650B Ready & Fit to Roll Anywhere!
1974 F7 175 -first bike and still own, full resto soon!
2002 ZRX1200R -Red the faster color
2011 Concours 14 -Now a Snarling Wolf in Sheep's Clothing!

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg NOW ! 19 Aug 2013 22:29 #602225

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2829
Great job!! So here's the map as I understand it; the flag has been in the green states. Ed

Attachment MAP_2013-08-19.jpg not found

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments:

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg NOW ! 19 Aug 2013 23:32 #602240

• kaw-a-holic
  • User
  • Thank you received: 248
Here are the pics that I finally got downloaded off the camera.

OOPS

THE HAND OFF

Jon
1977 KZ1000a1
Mesa, AZ
Phoenix Fighter Project

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg NOW ! 20 Aug 2013 00:55 #602258

• Motor Head
  • Motor Head's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
  • Thank you received: 391
Just to note I made it back to Bend and have the Flag. Toolmaker is up next, this coming weekend on Sunday. We need to set up a meet right?
So I rode 1300+ miles round trip,in three days, but 800 on Sunday. With an average of 40 MPG, not bad considering. I did get the Finger from one Harley rider. He was in a group of 5 I think, just going the opposite direction, I gave the usual hand signal wave, peace down low, and the front riders didn't return anything but the last guy flipped me off. So after that it was Blood Sport for those Harley's. I passed everyone I saw, at a buck and change. Might have something to do with the 40MPG. :evil:
Otherwise, it was real nice of Mike in Bend to ride up on Saturday night to tell me of Kaw-a-holic's crash. Let me know he was ok, but the bike smashed up. So I started to wonder if I could still meet up for a Hand-off. I had 0 cell reception out in any of this ride, don't use Virgin Mobile, so I asked the camp host, he has Verizon which worked. So I started leaving messages on Kaw-a-holic's phone about a meet still. Then on Sunday, I broke camp before the first Sparrows Fart, and rode. Keep trying to get reception, in the direction of Montana. When I got to Cambridge, ID on the 95, I was at a gas station that was closed, and an old retired 93 year old rancher drives up to me and asks me if i need gas. I said no I need a phone, and he offered his, also offered use of his computer back at his ranch. Nicest guy you'll ever meet. So that way I left a message here on KZR, also a PM to Kaw-a-holic, and also called him again. Then kept riding in his direction in hope this would work. Finally got a hold of him about 11:00am Pacific time,and I was about 25 miles from where he dodged the Deer. Then he agreed to come part way back to Idaho from Montana. Well there was some confusion, I went to far, in fact into Montana, turned around and went back. He was waiting, thankfully, as there is no cell service out there along that gorge. So once we made the hand-off and talked a bit, I turned and burned, riding all the way back to Cambridge that night. Then from there through Hell's Canyon up through Baker, onto the 7 SW to the 26 into John Day to meet up with Gary.
So while I rode my ass off, I didn't stop and smell the flowers or take pictures. I rode alone for all but the period with Gary. But it was worth it. I got to meet Mike and his friend on Saturday night. Then Jon (Kaw-a-holic) and his wife on Sunday, then Gary today/ Monday. Sure wish we could have ridden together guys. But it looks like it just wasn't in the cards. :(
The main thing is that Jon is OK. Just his bike, and his pride hurt.

I'll post a map link here:
This should be pretty close: goo.gl/maps/prKNp
And the Few photos Here:

In a bit.
1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...
Attachments:

Last edit: by Motor Head.

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg NOW ! 20 Aug 2013 08:13 #602270

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2829
800 miles on Sunday - now THAT's what I call going for a Sunday ride! Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg NOW ! 20 Aug 2013 09:17 #602273

• toolmaker
  • User
  • Thank you received: 19

Motor Head wrote: Just to note I made it back to Bend and have the Flag. Toolmaker is up next, this coming weekend on Sunday. We need to set up a meet right?

Um, no, not Sunday.....I have a wedding to go to. Saturday is a go though, or wait until I can ride up to Seattle Labor Day weekend. Either way is good for me.
I live near Portland, Oregon and my rider is a '76 KZ900 I bought new. I'm also in the process of restoring another one and a '73 Z1.

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg NOW ! 20 Aug 2013 09:42 #602281

• Motor Head
  • User

toolmaker wrote:

Motor Head wrote: Just to note I made it back to Bend and have the Flag. Toolmaker is up next, this coming weekend on Sunday. We need to set up a meet right?

Um, no, not Sunday.....I have a wedding to go to. Saturday is a go though, or wait until I can ride up to Seattle Labor Day weekend. Either way is good for me.

Thats right, I got it mixed up last night. Saturday is fine. That way like you said, it will give you some time to read the log book and such. Looks like a lot of info in there, I'm going to read it tonight. Started writing some myself, but Gary said he didn't need to add to it.
Looking forward to another meet up, and a ride with some other riders.
1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg NOW ! 20 Aug 2013 09:45 #602282

• Motor Head
  • User
Schuss and Killman, are you guys still up for a ride on the Labor Day weekend? Killman, did you get your passport re-newed? Or does someone from the US need to cross up into Canada?

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg NOW ! 20 Aug 2013 09:57 #602287

• Motor Head
  • User

Killman wrote: Not to butt in, but...

So, spent the afternoon yesterday working on the gf's bike.

Turned out we had the exhaust pipes in the right order in the first place, just a bent rim of a split collar making one pipe sit uneven. Problem solved.
Showed her how to install a new fuel line complete with inline fuel filter. No more fuel leaks. Problem solved.
I had strong signs of life a few weeks ago, then added fresh gas and now the bastard won't start. Nothing at all from the starter. Petcock on Prime, kill switch set to "RUN", clutch in, kickstand up, choke out, quarter tank of gas. I get running lights on the front left only. Hazards work all around, no blinkers on the right hand side. Brake lights, hi and low beams and horn all check out. Everything on the dash lights up as it should, no evil lights. Battery says fully charged on the smart charger, (supposedly a brand new battery from the PO).
I noticed that one lead for the fuel level sensor isn't connected, I'll square that away tonight, would that kill the bike? I'm wondering if I managed to knock something loose for the turn signals installing the battery, could that kill the bike? I'm not the most electrically savvy dude, maybe a fuse, but then why would almost everything light up okay? Maybe a turn signal relay, would that kill the bike?
I'll be spending some quality time with the FSM, but I'm hoping one of the KZ gurus will have an easy fix, maybe one of you guys can armchair diagnose from these symptoms.

If the tires for my bike don't get here in time, the 750 is going to have to be my fallback for the relay, could really use some help here. I already work 2 jobs and I start a US tax law course on Monday, time is not my friend right now. :sick:

I'm just on my way out the door to my night job, but I've found a bare wire with cracked insulation under the seat, looks like it could be a possible cause...

Did you get it sorted? GF's bike fired up running?
Still need help with it?
Sorry to here time is tight. Let us know if the Labor Day weekend will work, if not Schuss can hold it till your ready/ able.

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg NOW ! 20 Aug 2013 10:03 #602289

• Motor Head
  • User

650ed wrote: 800 miles on Sunday - now THAT's what I call going for a Sunday ride! Ed

Your Idea from the Start Ed, this relay. I think there has been Several huge efforts for this relay. Look at Topper, doing all the T-shirt orders. Also doesn't he update the Relay Website? There is a lot of effort to bring it all to reality.
Out here in the west, the states are Big, so it takes many miles of riding to make a transfer. No where near the number of people active on the Pin Map this summer. So the gaps have to be closed up by long rides. Cheers! I love to ride!
The following user(s) said Thank You: kaw-a-holic

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg NOW ! 20 Aug 2013 12:24 #602304

• TomW
  • User
  • Keep the blue side up.
  • Thank you received: 52

Motor Head wrote: So I rode 1300+ miles round trip,in three days, but 800 on Sunday. With an average of 40 MPG, not bad considering. I did get the Finger from one Harley rider.

I doff my hat to you sir. 800 miles in a day is one hell of a long ride on a 35 year old muscle bike. Do you think you could have/would have done it without the Windjammer? You've made an epic ride, truly deserving of a toast of the finest beverage of your choice. I'll have a belt of Kentuckys finest from Bourbon County, and a beer. Bottoms up.

As for the rude behavior of the H-D riders, they are puffing their chests out a little more than usual around here. The 110th anniversary party is about to begin in Milwaukee and the locals are getting pumped up about it. Maybe that guy you saw is coming my way in a week or so. Probably he's just a jerk.

Once again, congradulations on a fine ride and thank you for making the extra effort to keep the flag moving. See you at the Four Corners.
'78 KZ1000B2 LTD stock + Vetter Fairing & luggage
'91 ZG1200B5 Voyager XII, stock