Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg NOW ! 18 Aug 2013 15:50 #602018

• Gary - K7GLD
  • User
  • 1983 1100LTD
  • Thank you received: 17

kaw-a-holic wrote:

les holt wrote: Damn! Glad to see you standing upright. That looks pretty painful. Silly question, did the rearsets survive? :(

Les

:laugh: Yes, they are tough. Scratched up the ends but not much more.

I was coming around a sharp corner, spooked a deer on the the right hand side of the road. He jump over the guardrail from right to left. I applied to much brake and the corner was to sharp. I got around the deer but did not have enough road left to get around the corner. New chip seal with loose gravel on the edge. Once the front tire hit the gravel it was game over.

YUP - deer in these areas can be unpredictable and lethal - which is why I avoid early evening and morning riding. One local friend I know hit *3 deer* separately in a single day's travel, fortunately, he was in his car at the time, not one of his bikes. Again, glad you're OK - and wonder if now Daryl is planning to resume his normal travel route and times - whatever those might be now?

Still hanging as to planning whether or not he'll return anywhere near my area, or what time of day that might be...

If you read this in time, let him know that if this turn of events makes it difficult or impractical to get this way, NO big deal, there WILL be other times!
John Day area - Eastern Oregon
Restored 1983 Kawasaki 1100LTD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Gary - K7GLD.

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg NOW ! 18 Aug 2013 16:12 #602021

• les holt
  • Vendor
  • Thank you received: 288
Buddy of mine blasted a deer this year! Actually killed the deer and didn't go down. LUCKY MAN he was!

Attachment donsdeer2.jpg not found

Attachment donsdeer.jpg not found

Les
Attachments:

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg NOW ! 18 Aug 2013 16:52 #602026

• Gary - K7GLD
  • User
  • 1983 1100LTD
LEST anyone think we're just being paranoid about deer encounters in our part of the country, here's a common view out in our front yard:

And we've frequently seen as many as 25 at a time out in out back yard!

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg NOW ! 18 Aug 2013 16:57 #602027

• upncummr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 16
kaw-a-holic:

Sorry to hear about the crash; but glad to hear you came through it okay.

Best of luck getting the bike repaired and back on the road!

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg NOW ! 18 Aug 2013 17:12 #602032

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2829

Gary - K7GLD wrote: LEST anyone think we're just being paranoid about deer encounters in our part of the country, here's a common view out in our front yard:

And we've frequently seen as many as 25 at a time out in out back yard!

It's the same here. They're everywhere. If I opened the front door one would walk in; no joke! (see last picture). Ed

Attachment FrontYardDeer.JPG not found

Attachment FrontDoorDeer.JPG not found

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments:

Last edit: by 650ed.

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg NOW ! 18 Aug 2013 18:42 #602039

• Killman
  • User
  • Now with 99% more ducks
  • Thank you received: 12
Not to butt in, but...

So, spent the afternoon yesterday working on the gf's bike.

Turned out we had the exhaust pipes in the right order in the first place, just a bent rim of a split collar making one pipe sit uneven. Problem solved.
Showed her how to install a new fuel line complete with inline fuel filter. No more fuel leaks. Problem solved.
I had strong signs of life a few weeks ago, then added fresh gas and now the bastard won't start. Nothing at all from the starter. Petcock on Prime, kill switch set to "RUN", clutch in, kickstand up, choke out, quarter tank of gas. I get running lights on the front left only. Hazards work all around, no blinkers on the right hand side. Brake lights, hi and low beams and horn all check out. Everything on the dash lights up as it should, no evil lights. Battery says fully charged on the smart charger, (supposedly a brand new battery from the PO).
I noticed that one lead for the fuel level sensor isn't connected, I'll square that away tonight, would that kill the bike? I'm wondering if I managed to knock something loose for the turn signals installing the battery, could that kill the bike? I'm not the most electrically savvy dude, maybe a fuse, but then why would almost everything light up okay? Maybe a turn signal relay, would that kill the bike?
I'll be spending some quality time with the FSM, but I'm hoping one of the KZ gurus will have an easy fix, maybe one of you guys can armchair diagnose from these symptoms.

If the tires for my bike don't get here in time, the 750 is going to have to be my fallback for the relay, could really use some help here. I already work 2 jobs and I start a US tax law course on Monday, time is not my friend right now. :sick:

I'm just on my way out the door to my night job, but I've found a bare wire with cracked insulation under the seat, looks like it could be a possible cause...
1983 kz440 ltd
Quack

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg NOW ! 18 Aug 2013 20:59 #602051

• TomW
  • User
  • Keep the blue side up.
  • Thank you received: 52

KZJOE900 wrote: Sorry to hear about your mishap. But as long as you are O.K, then that is the best outcome one can hope for.

No, not quite. The best outcome from a wreck is, brush the dust of the leathers, inspect the bike for serious damage, find none, start that mother up and ride on. kaw-a-holic experienced the second best out come. Send the bike home on a trailer and walk away. I'm glad yer OK and see you at 4 Corners.
'78 KZ1000B2 LTD stock + Vetter Fairing & luggage
'91 ZG1200B5 Voyager XII, stock

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg NOW ! 18 Aug 2013 21:00 #602052

• TomW
  • User
  • Keep the blue side up.

KZJOE900 wrote: Sorry to hear about your mishap. But as long as you are O.K, then that is the best outcome one can hope for.

No, not quite. The best outcome from a wreck is, brush the dust of the leathers, inspect the bike for serious damage, find none, start that mother up and ride on. kaw-a-holic experienced the second best out come. Send the bike home on a trailer and walk away. I'm glad yer OK and see you at 4 Corners.
So what happened?
Guess I missed a couple of posts. :ohmy: :ohmy:

Last edit: by TomW.

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg NOW ! 18 Aug 2013 21:03 #602053

• Gary - K7GLD
  • User
  • 1983 1100LTD

TomW wrote:

So what happened?

You missed his description further above?

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg NOW ! 18 Aug 2013 21:15 #602054

• TomW
  • User
  • Keep the blue side up.

Gary - K7GLD wrote:

TomW wrote:

You missed his description further above?

Damn, you're quick, Gary.
Tom, KC9YXV

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg NOW ! 18 Aug 2013 21:17 #602055

• TomW
  • User
  • Keep the blue side up.
I see a lot of pictures of deer in the yard, but no Bar-B-Que. What's with that?

Last edit: by TomW.

KZR North American Relay Ride North West Leg NOW ! 18 Aug 2013 21:31 #602056

• Gary - K7GLD
  • User
  • 1983 1100LTD

TomW wrote: I see a lot of pictures of deer in the yard, but no Bar-B-Que. What's with that?

WELLLLLll, since your scroller is on the fritz, HERE'S the explanation:

I was coming around a sharp corner, spooked a deer on the the right hand side of the road. He jump over the guardrail from right to left. I applied to much brake and the corner was to sharp. I got around the deer but did not have enough road left to get around the corner. New chip seal with loose gravel on the edge. Once the front tire hit the gravel it was game over.