What Is Up With Harley Riders????

More
27 Apr 2009 04:12 #285622 by N0NB
Replied by N0NB on topic What Is Up With Harley Riders????
They must be old tech as the transmissions must require double clutching. I heard one heading to work a few minutes ago and he was blipping the throttle on every downshift. Then there is the "requirement" that they blip the throttle at every stop sign or light. What's up with that?

It's not just H-D riders but the clone riders that do it around here as well.

Nate

Nates vintage bike axiom: Riding is the reward for time spent wrenching.
Murphys corollary: Wrenching is the result of time spent riding.

1979 KZ650 (Complete!)
1979 KZ650 SR (Sold!)
1979 KL250 (For sale)
1994 Bayou 400 (four wheel peel :D )

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Russ Jackson
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
27 Apr 2009 05:26 #285623 by Russ Jackson
Replied by Russ Jackson on topic What Is Up With Harley Riders????
N0NB wrote:

They must be old tech as the transmissions must require double clutching. I heard one heading to work a few minutes ago and he was blipping the throttle on every downshift. Then there is the "requirement" that they blip the throttle at every stop sign or light. What's up with that?

It's not just H-D riders but the clone riders that do it around here as well.

Please don't forget the HUGE BLIP when they shut it down. Its like a mating call...Russ

1976 KZ 900 B1 29 smoothbores, Kerker, Lester Mags
2008 Kawasaki Concours 14 abs

• tachrev
  • User
  • Rubber Side Goes Down
More
27 Apr 2009 05:50 #285631 by tachrev
Replied by tachrev on topic What Is Up With Harley Riders????
I blip the throttle a bit on my KZ to smooth out the downshifts...depending on how high the RPM is and what gear. :S

1977 Kawasaki KZ1000 : Street/Strip
Build Thread

More
27 Apr 2009 05:57 #285633 by Ghost
Replied by Ghost on topic What Is Up With Harley Riders????
LOL the road kill wave... It drives me nuts, I guess we live in a time where alot of people are followers so they do the same as the next. Perfect example, blip the throttle, wave, and don't forget the clothing and bling.The pic that is posted is a 1948 pan. Bobber. I was doing what alot guys are doing now 10-12 years ago. Anyway, the old stuff is just that, old. I like it anyway. I've enjoyed all the bikes I've owned over the years.

More
27 Apr 2009 06:07 #285636 by Ghost
Replied by Ghost on topic What Is Up With Harley Riders????
I think it's the constant throttle usage or bliping for no reason.

More
27 Apr 2009 06:40 - 27 Apr 2009 06:41 #285640 by dshelly
Replied by dshelly on topic What Is Up With Harley Riders????
I notice a lot of the crotch rocket guys that blip the throttle too. especially at the stop lights. must be the Cool thing to do.

'77 Kz1000B1
'78 Kz1000A2
'76 Kz900LTD
Last edit: 27 Apr 2009 06:41 by dshelly. Reason: spelling

More
27 Apr 2009 06:49 - 27 Apr 2009 06:50 #285644 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic What Is Up With Harley Riders????
Well my brother is guilty of goosing the throttle on his H-D all the time. But really it's a nessecary thing. His bike is 60 years old, has a mechanical ignition, a generator, and a carbburator made by "craftsman" with hammers and chisels. If he dosen't give it a bump every now and then it might stall, then he would have to get off it, retard the timming, adjust the idle mixture screw and kick the thing over to start it, enrich the mixture screw then advance the timming. Really annoying at a busy intersection. I think the posers saw the old timers and followed suit thinking it was a demonstration of their bike riding prowess, not a constant attemp to keep thier bikes running. So to this day the posers will give tribute to the real american steel like my brother rides by constantly rapping on the throttle. It's really heart touching isn't it? :laugh:

If I knew what I was doing all the time life wouldn't be any fun.

'80 KZ650 E 700cc, dyna ignition and coils, frame up restoration, daily driver
'81 KZ1300 A3 full restoration, custom big bore pistons, 1400cc 6 cylinder super bike
"77 KZ650 B1 - Barn Find, work in progeress
"74 Yamaha DT 400 Enduro
Last edit: 27 Apr 2009 06:50 by Tyler.

More
27 Apr 2009 08:10 #285659 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic What Is Up With Harley Riders????
Ghost wrote:

LOL the road kill wave... It drives me nuts, I guess we live in a time where alot of people are followers so they do the same as the next. Perfect example, blip the throttle, wave, and don't forget the clothing and bling.The pic that is posted is a 1948 pan. Bobber. I was doing what alot guys are doing now 10-12 years ago. Anyway, the old stuff is just that, old. I like it anyway. I've enjoyed all the bikes I've owned over the years.

nothing wrong with old stuff ! B)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.
Attachments:

More
27 Apr 2009 10:00 #285683 by N0NB
Replied by N0NB on topic What Is Up With Harley Riders????
PLUMMEN wrote:

nothing wrong with old stuff!

Agreed. Of all the H-D engines flat heads and pan heads are my favorites for looks.

As for blipping on a downshift, I follow the MSF recommended procedure which is to keep the clutch disengaged and use the brakes to slow for the turn and then engage the clutch through the friction zone once my turn is complete and I begin to accelerate away.

Around here it seems as though it's a "cool" thing to set the idle speed on their twins so low so the engine will die without blipping. I think it's supposed to give an air of a high performance engine that doesn't idle smoothly. :silly:

Nate

Nates vintage bike axiom: Riding is the reward for time spent wrenching.
Murphys corollary: Wrenching is the result of time spent riding.

1979 KZ650 (Complete!)
1979 KZ650 SR (Sold!)
1979 KL250 (For sale)
1994 Bayou 400 (four wheel peel :D )

• Russ Jackson
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
27 Apr 2009 10:13 - 27 Apr 2009 10:47 #285686 by Russ Jackson
Replied by Russ Jackson on topic What Is Up With Harley Riders????
N0NB wrote:

PLUMMEN wrote:

As for blipping on a downshift, I follow the MSF recommended procedure which is to keep the clutch disengaged and use the brakes to slow for the turn and then engage the clutch through the friction zone once my turn is complete and I begin to accelerate away.

Turning is very hard on a motorcycle so I accelerate fast then downshift 2 gears. Depress back break only. Come to almost a complete stop and make turn into 2nd lane. If I dont accelerate quickly the traffic behind me catches up and honks because I make the turn too slow. Going straight is easy turning is hard. I hate it when my hair whips my face and my Hawaiian Shirt blows open.

Question: Does anyone know of a brand of Sandles that lines up with the shifter on my KZ so I don't get a blister on my toe? Flip Flops are horrible....:woohoo: :woohoo: ...Russ

1976 KZ 900 B1 29 smoothbores, Kerker, Lester Mags
2008 Kawasaki Concours 14 abs
Last edit: 27 Apr 2009 10:47 by Russ Jackson.

More
27 Apr 2009 10:37 #285689 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic What Is Up With Harley Riders????
N0NB wrote:

PLUMMEN wrote:

Agreed. Of all the H-D engines flat heads and pan heads are my favorites for looks.

Around here it seems as though it's a "cool" thing to set the idle speed on their twins so low so the engine will die without blipping. I think it's supposed to give an air of a high performance engine that doesn't idle smoothly. :silly:

when we were kids a buddy had a really wild looking late 60s ford torino with a worn out 351 and a 4 speed .when we would go to omaha to hang out with the street racers in the underpowered boat i came up with the bright idea of keeping it in 3rd gear when we were cruising really slow to lug the motor so it sounded like it had something serious under the hood,good thing nobody ever called us out on it cuz we would of been smoked by a tuned up vw in that thing! :S :woohoo:

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

• SheffieldSteel
  • User
  • KZ750E 1981
More
27 Apr 2009 11:34 #285707 by SheffieldSteel
Replied by SheffieldSteel on topic What Is Up With Harley Riders????
Its the same over here in the UK. The poser HD riders recieve a nod of the head or a wave as if you were sticking two fingers up at them. Even worse are the guys on plastic bullets wearing thousands of pounds worth of leathers with matching boots gloves and helmets. Look like space men with something stuck up their arse.:silly:
Most bikers over here nod to each other, but the posers wether on a HD or plastic bullet dont understand the biking fraternity, niether do they stop when they see a biker with a breakdown at the side of the road.
Leave em to it, they will understand it all one day!

My bike is a 1981 KZ750E with Honda VFR400 NC30 single sided swingarm and Aprilia RS125GP rear subframe and seat pods, engine in more pieces than my mind