What's the attraction to V Twins?

More
10 Sep 2008 14:23 #236583 by saxjonz
Replied by saxjonz on topic What's the attraction to V Twins?
jjdwoodman wrote:

KZCSI:

I believe the twins just follow the natural order... Eg. Women have two eyes, two arms, two legs.

The only reason the inlines were ever built was some "idiot" figured he really could do something with more than two jugs at once.:woohoo:

Oh yeah!? What about the kids with four eyes? Usually the mentally faster kids. Who built faster bikes.
Besides women have one thing that is really good and that comes in one and unless you like rocky road ice cream then possibly two and of course three which explains road .... Which is truly a wonderful thing on long trips especially LONG rides. Does that explain why the triples where always a nice DIFFERENT ride. I always liked the sound of my midnight special..wasn't four... and wasn't two... what a wheelie bike when you had a passenger on back. wasn't slow but wasn't fast but sure as heck felt like it.

79 LTD B3
80 LTD B4 1075 kit JE Pistons .410 cam grind, Bassani, 31 keihin CR Specials...
1980 Z1R, 2002 ZRX1200, 2003 ZRX1200

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Sep 2008 01:35 #237199 by Z1109R Fin
Replied by Z1109R Fin on topic What's the attraction to V Twins?
saxjonz wrote:

Z1109R Fin wrote:

Who says BMW ain´t a fun bike? :laugh:

bmwfinlandpinter01.ergointegration.no/mc...r/default.asp?id=884

Just ride, guys and gals, just ride;)

I have to say that those riders on bmws loo G A Y image and substance which is heavier?

Sorry, me no understando. Please say again english lingo:P

Z1000R ´83...Slightly modified...

More
16 Sep 2008 04:35 - 16 Sep 2008 04:36 #237331 by N0NB
Replied by N0NB on topic What's the attraction to V Twins?
I still say it's ego, mostly related to how much noise they can make. :D

Nate

Nates vintage bike axiom: Riding is the reward for time spent wrenching.
Murphys corollary: Wrenching is the result of time spent riding.

1979 KZ650 (Complete!)
1979 KZ650 SR (Sold!)
1979 KL250 (For sale)
1994 Bayou 400 (four wheel peel :D )
Last edit: 16 Sep 2008 04:36 by N0NB.

More
16 Sep 2008 05:48 #237338 by Locozuna
Replied by Locozuna on topic What's the attraction to V Twins?
No doubt it is for some but that is no way exclusive to Hurley riders. Evidenced as how many come on here asking about removing baffels and running open headers. there is a constant like of new riders coming on looking to make cheap race bikes. Some may be able to handle it others are in for rude experiences. Some to use the term of someone else are wannabee's. Wanna be loud, wanna be fast, wanna be whatever. That is a trait that crosses all breeds.

KZ900LTD, KZ750LTD, KZ650, 72'Triumph Trident
"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

More
16 Sep 2008 06:28 - 16 Sep 2008 06:38 #237344 by roy-b-boy-b
Replied by roy-b-boy-b on topic What's the attraction to V Twins?
When i bought my "V" Star i just wanted a bike to ride this year. It had new tires on it and looked good. I paid $3200.00 for it which is not a great deal. I didn't get hurt paying that price.

I sold the bike yesterday for $3200.00.I rode it all summer and it saved me a lot of money on gas.

The bike handled great and rode good. A friend said,"I wish my Harley rode this good".

I just like to ride bikes. I had a early vertical twin yamaha and that was a great bike. I love to wear the 750 Hondas out.

Owned only one bike that i didn't like but it was my first bike and i could overlook a lot. I rode that bike through rain and snow. Day and night. It was a Honda 350 Street and Trail. Weighed a ton when you were trying to get it out of mud.

Z1 was the next bike and "WOW"!! There was only three in the area and we WERE the bad boys no doubt.

Then came a string of H2"s. A good bike for anyone with 2 stroke dirt bike expierence. I could get those jugs off and change the pistons in a afternoon.

I bought a honda Supersport because it could take on a Z900 in a 1/4 mile. It would too.

Had a 750 Yamaha and it was a nice bike but i couldn't keep the front wheel on the ground when i needed it there.

Got a 900 A4 after that and was kicking my butt because the thing rode like a bicycle as compared to the yamaha. Then i got a LTD and i was Happy.

I had that engine built with a 1075 kit and cams and called it my YEE HAW bike.

They are all bikes and if you like to ride it doesn't matter what you ride.

I saw a guy on a wore out Virago last week and he was riding with a group of Harley riders and he was having a good time.

I'm building a 750 Supersport now to sell so someone will have a cheap bike so maybe the addiction will get to them and they will love to ride also. Maybe they will ride a Harley later on but they will always remember that honda
that they rode day and night through rain and snow.

Roy

1979 LTD Street Fighter.1977 KZ1000
Attachments:
Last edit: 16 Sep 2008 06:38 by roy-b-boy-b.

More
16 Sep 2008 06:48 #237349 by saxjonz
Z1109R Fin wrote:

saxjonz wrote:

Z1109R Fin wrote:

I have to say that those riders on bmws loo G A Y image and substance which is heavier?

OK Let me translate from the german accent. They look GAY.

79 LTD B3

More
16 Sep 2008 06:57 - 16 Sep 2008 07:07 #237350 by ltdrider
Replied by ltdrider on topic What's the attraction to V Twins?
I'm a nut for antique cars and bikes. Don't own any because I don't have the $$ or the room to keep them. But if I had the dough, I'd have bought this little beauty. It's a '48 panhead, and was for sale in L.A. a few months ago. I think the price was $22,000. Just a Sunday ride to take out on warm sunny days, and maybe putt around town....

'76 KZ900 LTD (Blaze)
'96 Voyager XII (Dark Star)
'79 KZ650 Cafe Project (Dirty Kurt)
Greensboro, NC
Attachments:
Last edit: 16 Sep 2008 07:07 by ltdrider.

More
17 Sep 2008 02:39 - 17 Sep 2008 02:43 #237466 by Z1109R Fin
Replied by Z1109R Fin on topic What's the attraction to V Twins?
saxjonz wrote:

Z1109R Fin wrote:

saxjonz wrote:

Z1109R Fin wrote:

Oh, now I see. Yes, they look very happy indeed;)

Maybe this will tell ya more:

www.bmwmotorcycles.com/etc/news.jsp?labe...21_stunt_team_europe

Z1000R ´83...Slightly modified...
Last edit: 17 Sep 2008 02:43 by Z1109R Fin.

More
17 Sep 2008 06:28 - 17 Sep 2008 06:29 #237483 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic What's the attraction to V Twins?
Motorcyclists tend to fall into social subcategories. The vintage bike rider doesn't have much to distinguish himself (or herself) by. No specific clothing or style is what I am trying to say. I have gone on the Hill Country ride a couple times with the GS bunch... If you sit in the OST eating breakfast before the ride and they come in, you hardly know they are riders except a couple will carry in helmets. No leathers, no riding suits, no chaps, no logos, no tatoos, no long beards or hair for the most part, they just look like Texans. Sitting at my booth watching the Harley crowd, there is NO DOUBT about their sub-culture group. BLACK AND ORANGE. Genuine motor company duds. Tattos/beards/doo-rags, etc. Then you see the sport bike boys. Eyes glazed over. Leathers still with wet spots. They wear those big padded leather race jackets that make them look like aliens. Then comes the Beemer crowd. Most have little cases for their lap tops so they can work on their riding blog during breakfast. Most have very nice and expensive leather get ups with very techo-German pleats and those helmets with blue-tooth speakers and flip up shields that cost more than my bike. The most humerous is the Ducati crowd. For some reason, they don't mix with the sport bike crowd in the OST. They are wearing skin tight racing leathers with Ducati all over them. They sit at a table and talk to NO ONE else but other Ducati boys. Those bikes are a hernia waiting to happen so I guess I would rather talk about a Duc than ride it very far. And the Ducatis are the CLEANEST bikes... even more clean than Harleys. Why is that? I guess it is fun to ride a 79 shafty and sit in the corner eating breakfast tacos and just watch hehe There isn't many other vintage Jap guys in my corner of the world so I guess I am my own social group... I am the only bike guy wearing a John Deere green/yellow ball cap I guess.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!
Last edit: 17 Sep 2008 06:29 by wiredgeorge.

More
17 Sep 2008 10:10 #237522 by Locozuna
Replied by Locozuna on topic What's the attraction to V Twins?
I guess Frank Zappa was right...."Everyone in this room is wearing a uniform and don't kid yourself!".

But a John Deere ball cap? I'd mount a nice sickle bar on the side of my ride and cut right through all the crap!!! ;) :woohoo:

KZ900LTD, KZ750LTD, KZ650, 72'Triumph Trident
"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

More
17 Sep 2008 14:15 #237548 by saxjonz
Z1109R Fin wrote:

saxjonz wrote:

Z1109R Fin wrote:

saxjonz wrote:

Z1109R Fin wrote:

:lol:
:lol: :silly: :kiss: B)
Oh, now I see. Yes, they look very happy indeed;)

Maybe this will tell ya more:

www.bmwmotorcycles.com/etc/news.jsp?labe...21_stunt_team_europe

:lol: :silly: :kiss:

79 LTD B3

• Scrapper
  • User
  • I Survived P.D. Fri .the 13th 2008 .
More
17 Sep 2008 17:38 #237562 by Scrapper
Replied by Scrapper on topic What's the attraction to V Twins?
I frankly don't understand the need to classify people. I am ate up with the bike. Been riding for a lot of years. I ride every day to work, but now that I am a little older when the weather is bad I cage it. Just don't want to have to clean up the bike! I usually take a ride somewhere nearly every weekend. Maybe only 100 miles, maybe 400. Does that make me a 1%er. No way, not even close. I ride the suzuki now mostly. A lot of Harley guys don't respect that. Sport bike guys look down on you cause you don't go fast enough. BMW guys look down on you cause its not a "refined" machine. Can't we just all say we like to ride and leave it at that?

I do a lot of charity and memorial rides, and I also ride with the CMC, SCRC,and others. I have ridden side by side with CEO's riding $25,000 full dress Harleys and Hessians riding custom choppers. Funny thing, when bikers get together for some kind of benevolent cause, all the tags go away. He's not a 1%er, he is a donor just like me. He is not a jr. racer, he is paying his respects, just like me. He is not a rubbie, he is honoring a fallen soldier, just like me. Maybe its more important to be who you are and let everything else be what it is. 'To thine own self be true' and who cares what anyone else thinks or says.

Not meaning to be an a$$, and sorry for the rant. Please don't feel like I am trying to thump on you, cause that is not the case at all. I just don't like the labels.

Handle every situation like a dog,
If you can't eat it or hump it,
Piss on it and walk away!