What's the attraction to V Twins?

• Scrapper
  • User
  • I Survived P.D. Fri .the 13th 2008 .
More
08 Sep 2008 09:33 #236152 by Scrapper
Replied by Scrapper on topic What's the attraction to V Twins?
Whose dog is better'n mine????

I agree with Scrapper but I got to ask whats wrong with a ride to an ice cream shop or drive-in? Some of us can't ride to the bar. Anymore... And thats not a bad thing

Nothing wrong i can see with getting together for ice cream , Is There?
Ive been a Member of the local chapter of the Southern Cruisers riding club 224 Elgin for 5 years now and every weds evening ( weather permitting) We meat and ride as a group each time to a different location for ice cream .
I guess it could have been hot dogs , burgers , or beer,
But most of the time Members bring their young ones with them , So ice cream made more sence,
Like a feww on here was stateing It dont matter the reason why you ride , But that you ride! and enjoy

Handle every situation like a dog,
If you can't eat it or hump it,
Piss on it and walk away!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Sep 2008 18:16 #236214 by N0NB
Replied by N0NB on topic What's the attraction to V Twins?
Scrapper wrote:

Now go buy your riding gear , HOLD IT BUCKSHOT! , If its a V- Twin cruiser , you gonna Look silly in matching racing leathers and fullface

This is the aspect that chaps me the most, why does the bike dictate how I'll dress? I have a set of good quality riding gear that will disqualify me from any costume party. Yet if I go out tomorrow and buy a sportbike or, heaven forbid, I hit my head and buy a heavy cruiser, I'll still be wearing the same gear. I'm going to protect my hide when I ride as I don't ride for "image".

It's like saying that my 4x4 pickup has to have tobacco stains down its side. Ain't gonna happen. ;)

Nate

Nates vintage bike axiom: Riding is the reward for time spent wrenching.
Murphys corollary: Wrenching is the result of time spent riding.

1979 KZ650 (Complete!)
1979 KZ650 SR (Sold!)
1979 KL250 (For sale)
1994 Bayou 400 (four wheel peel :D )

More
08 Sep 2008 18:46 #236224 by saxjonz
Replied by saxjonz on topic What's the attraction to V Twins?
Scrapper wrote:

Whose dog is better'n mine????

I agree with Scrapper but I got to ask whats wrong with a ride to an ice cream shop or drive-in? Some of us can't ride to the bar. Anymore... And thats not a bad thing

Nothing wrong i can see with getting together for ice cream , Is There?
Ive been a Member of the local chapter of the Southern Cruisers riding club 224 Elgin for 5 years now and every weds evening ( weather permitting) We meat and ride as a group each time to a different location for ice cream .
I guess it could have been hot dogs , burgers , or beer,
But most of the time Members bring their young ones with them , So ice cream made more sence,
Like a feww on here was stateing It dont matter the reason why you ride , But that you ride! and enjoy

Now that's what I'm talking about! It's true. We all have different tastes. My friend who loves his bike so much and wanted me to ride it and I just passed sooo many times but once. He rode my bike and forgot what it was like to have an ear to ear grin on his face from acceleration and handling. I couldn't get him to give me my bike back. lol But different strokes for different folks. We all know what we like. I can't believe that the real riders out there are sheep. We can ride whatever we want. Some of us like a plush ride some like to abuse our future children. Hey! More power to us. The Beamer crowd still could stand to be a little nicer and courteous to the "other" riders. And yes I think it fact that Harley riders like to brag about their rides a little more than the rest of the population. Be an interesting study concerning the psyches of the riders and the machines they gravitate toward. Watch it on the discovery channel.:silly: ;) :lol:

79 LTD B3
80 LTD B4 1075 kit JE Pistons .410 cam grind, Bassani, 31 keihin CR Specials...
1980 Z1R, 2002 ZRX1200, 2003 ZRX1200

More
08 Sep 2008 18:50 #236227 by Locozuna
Replied by Locozuna on topic What's the attraction to V Twins?

Don't chap out!! There is no dress code. Other than I don't think the locals want you riding around nekkid on a cruiser, a classic or a crotch rocket. You can be Marlon Brando, Speed Racer, Capt. America or Billy, Kenny Roberts, Steve McQueen, Queen, Otis Turnipseed, Evil Kenevil(sp?), Erick Von Fuch, Scrapper (ooops no thats taken!), Indian Larry, nobody, B, or NonB, or anybody. ;)

But let it be known from here on in. if anyone sees NONB riding around on a cruiser knock him down and call an ambulance he obviously has a severe head wound!! B) B) B)

KZ900LTD, KZ750LTD, KZ650, 72'Triumph Trident
"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

More
08 Sep 2008 18:58 #236231 by saxjonz
:silly: You know Elgin is not too far from Chicago. Do you know Mohammed on a red goldwing? :silly: He was the one telling me about how it was a ride from one ice cream parlor to the next.:laugh: He said that in a way that was funny and perhaps a bit exagerated. But he said most all goldwing groups are into the whole ice cream thing. Maybe it's a goldwing thing we wouldn't understand.
Who cares. We ride to wherever our wheels take us. I get lactose intolerant in a hurry. But on a nice hot summer day it is great fun to ride and stop off at little places. I love drive-ins. Went on a group outing to a winery and enjoyed my rum and coke and complimented the establishment on how that was the best glass of wine I had ever tasted. I still don't understand not having to wear glasses because their is not much wind in your face and how the wind takes the bike around good on a nice windy day. How the bike is so comfortable it should be a sin listening to music and being isolated from the world and your significant other on the back seat. But after 30 years or more of being married perhaps that is not such a bad thing.:blink:
I still am offended by riders who don't feel a part of the community as if somehow they are above every other rider and people used to say Harley riders are like that. I always get waves from everyone save BMW riders and Ducati riders. Are they a breed above or what? Goldwing riders I like just don't like to ride their bikes. :silly: But, perhaps in time, I may change my opinion and have a paradigm shift.

79 LTD B3

More
08 Sep 2008 19:16 #236235 by saxjonz
H2RICK wrote:

You must live in red neck country.

Well, saxjonz, I do live in Alberta which is considered by many to be Canada's redneck country....although it's a pale imitation of real redneck country in various parts of the lower 48.

There are many more out there that ride BMW's and European bikes that are huge orifices.

Up here MOST local HD riders will NOT wave at anything that isn't HD. OTOH, Beemer riders are usually quite friendly and so are the Duke riders. Different places, different attitudes, I guess....

I take it on a person to person basis and like all riders equally. We will all die or be seriously maimed if we get a day of bad luck. So I guess that puts us all in the same boat together among other wonderful feelings we get from riding. Hence the brotherhood feeling. It makes me sad not mad to be honest. I feel shunned when I wave to a fellow rider and they ignore me. Makes me wonder why people have to be that way to feel better about who they are. I like most all motorcycles and save riding a moped I would ride almost anything that made itself available. More to build your taste and to appreciate what you like to ride most. Just like people I take them on a one on one basis. Have known some really cool redneck people. Makes you smile at the things they do and how they think. But we all have things that we do best. Experiencing every ride just for the sake of real curiosity and the subtleties of each ride makes it nice. What we own is what we own and we should be proud of it. The whole goldwing thing though? I guess if you ride like my buddy who doesn't work for a living then it would be good to have a comfortable bike but seriously though those bikes are damn heavy and are almost as convenient as driving a convertible. I would just go the extra few dollars and get the top and two extra wheels.:P But to each their own.

79 LTD B3

More
08 Sep 2008 19:16 #236236 by N0NB
Replied by N0NB on topic What's the attraction to V Twins?
Locozuna wrote:

But let it be known from here on in. if anyone sees NONB riding around on a cruiser knock him down and call an ambulance he obviously has a severe head wound!! B) B) B)

:D :D :D :D :D

Nate

Nates vintage bike axiom: Riding is the reward for time spent wrenching.
Murphys corollary: Wrenching is the result of time spent riding.

1979 KZ650 (Complete!)
1979 KZ650 SR (Sold!)
1979 KL250 (For sale)
1994 Bayou 400 (four wheel peel :D )

More
09 Sep 2008 05:49 #236295 by Z1109R Fin
Replied by Z1109R Fin on topic What's the attraction to V Twins?
Who says BMW ain´t a fun bike? :laugh:

bmwfinlandpinter01.ergointegration.no/mc...r/default.asp?id=884

Just ride, guys and gals, just ride;)

Z1000R ´83...Slightly modified...

More
09 Sep 2008 06:56 #236308 by saxjonz
kawsakiman wrote:

i once was talking to my oldest daughters friends mother about bikes and even showed her some of the pictures of our local click.

she said they are beautiful bikes but all girls fantasize of being on the back of a big bad harley.

i admit, i would love to have an old rigid panhead.
i rode one with 14 inch bars from rochester to the thousand islands once. ( 4 hours on a ridgid was more than my back should ever be submited to )
something about the old school harley is appealing to me.
i loved every minute of that ride.

i made up my mind then that it just wasn't the bike for me or a long ride. putting around town or taking a small run is cool but distance? forget about it.

but to answer the question at hand, chicks dig a harley.
some think that is the only true bike.
some think it's un-american to ride anything else.
how many times did i see the helmet stickers that said
" if i have to explain, you'll never understand"
I can explain why women love Hardlys. lol So easy... but I won't I think we all know why they love em. Nuff said. My cousin's friend says he can't take his wife out on a long ride because after fifteen minutes of riding they have to go back home and do the laundry. Each and every time.

they are some marketing wizards.

79 LTD B3

More
09 Sep 2008 07:04 #236309 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic What's the attraction to V Twins?
It's like a pair of womens breasts... Need two to make it work. One just doesn;t cut it...

Now compare to the KZ 4 cylinder, 4 is better.... Two on her chest and two on her back for something to play with when slow dancing....

Oops... Did I write that out loud?

OMR

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

More
10 Sep 2008 06:16 #236497 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic What's the attraction to V Twins?
Plummen wrote, quote are those stock pipes?those are cool looking! unquote... No, those are DG HardKrome pipes... I can't remember what they were called but it was something macho sounding. This bike was featured on their website for several years. The DG HardKrome claim to fame was the double wall construction. what you are looking at are not pipes but basically large heat shields. The actual pipes are inside what you see and won't blue. These pipes looked and sounded pretty decent.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
10 Sep 2008 14:10 #236581 by saxjonz
Z1109R Fin wrote:

Who says BMW ain´t a fun bike? :laugh:

bmwfinlandpinter01.ergointegration.no/mc...r/default.asp?id=884

Just ride, guys and gals, just ride;)

I have to say that those riders on bmws loo G A Y image and substance which is heavier?

79 LTD B3