What's the attraction to V Twins?

More
04 Sep 2008 13:23 #235495 by 531blackbanshee
Replied by 531blackbanshee on topic What's the attraction to V Twins?
yeah baby,thats what i'm talkin about.you don't have to choose which woman to take with you,just see which one you can talk into ridin on that thing.is that you scrapper?thats great!!!!!!

skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Scrapper
  • User
  • I Survived P.D. Fri .the 13th 2008 .
More
04 Sep 2008 17:55 #235539 by Scrapper
Replied by Scrapper on topic What's the attraction to V Twins?
Yepperz thats Me ! Oh yah! it was a Blast My buddy "Snake" built it 5 years ago and been adding stuff to it since, I even helped him with it a few times ,hers another shot of it

PS::: Note the rocket launcher under the floorboard , HA HA It shoots a strong stream of water.

Handle every situation like a dog,
If you can't eat it or hump it,
Piss on it and walk away!

• pstrbrc
  • User
  • '81 GPz 1100 project
More
04 Sep 2008 19:14 #235549 by pstrbrc
Replied by pstrbrc on topic What's the attraction to V Twins?
Hmmm...
Well, I know it's not roll-on power. My GPz11 could beat any H-D I could find in top-gear roll-on. God help 'em if I down-shifted.
I've ridden enough H-D's to know that the biggest difference in sensation is that my GPz always felt like restrained tension, and a Harley struck me as lazy. But then, I'm ADD. I like feeling wired. I like feeling the "tautness", the sense that, even when going slow, I COULD be going much faster RIGHT NOW.
So a V-twin Duc or Rc51 or SV1000 gets my heart going. Or a Britten!!!! But that's because of the pulse.
So why cruiser V-twins? I think it's because it represents a bike with slower pulse. And reading some of your responses, maybe I'm not too far off.

\'81 GPz 1100 project
Elkhart, Kansas USA
\"Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him.\" Groucho Marx

More
04 Sep 2008 19:24 #235550 by flht1997
Replied by flht1997 on topic What's the attraction to V Twins?
I like all twins, V, parrallel, or opposed. total i have 8 twins, 1 single and 3, 4-cylinders. riding my beemer or harley at 85 just feels "right" as in nice and lazy, the engine is not screaming and i am able to enjoying the ride more. the 750 twin is pretty nice on the highway also just a bit "busy"

Matt Milwaukee, WI
75' KZ400, (5) 78' KZ400, 76' KZ 750, 78' KZ650
78'CB750F, 78' CB550K
89' BMW R100RT
05' H-D Electra Glide
06' KLR650
Do it right or don't bother doing it at all.

More
04 Sep 2008 19:40 #235554 by Locozuna
Replied by Locozuna on topic What's the attraction to V Twins?
I have also rode quite a few bikes people thought of as fast machines and I have rode a couple Harleys that moved with a surprising quickness. Yeah, I have rode faster machines but roll on power with the Ironhorses is still pretty nice by my standards. (maybe they are just low standards;) Also comparing a Harley with a sportbike with some racing DNA is really not playing fair. If you're playing "My bike is faster than yours!". OK!..... SO? Joe Blow's bike over there is faster than yours......and that still don't really impress me. You love your bike? You take care of it? You wanna tell me it's story or yours without putting down someone else's dreamboat cool! I'm impressed and let's hear it!! That is unless you jumped the tree and triggered a record quarter mile squashing some Gatoraid sponsored team of wrenches into sniveling little toadies!!! That's cool!! I'll listen to that too! :woohoo: )

KZ900LTD, KZ750LTD, KZ650, 72'Triumph Trident
"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

More
04 Sep 2008 19:51 #235555 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic What's the attraction to V Twins?
i wouldnt mind building a harley someday but it would a good handling harley,not some stretched out occ look alike piece of crap.and i would definately know its limitations,strictly for putten around town!:laugh:

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

• KZQ
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Walking Behind the Corn May Not Be All That!
More
04 Sep 2008 20:27 - 04 Sep 2008 20:47 #235560 by KZQ
Replied by KZQ on topic What's the attraction to V Twins?
Hey Jim,

Personally, I think you deserve the award for the most concise explanation of the V twin cruiser ethic I've read here:

" strictly for putten around town! "

And pstrbrc for describing the other side of the coin:

"I like feeling the "tautness", the sense that, even when going slow, I COULD be going much faster RIGHT NOW."

I'm pretty sure that KZs and their owners are defined by the latter.

Me Too!

Hey coppertales,

I'm not so sure about the sound of those radial aircraft engines, but you should hear my 1300 with a six into one DG pipe at 7000 RPM. It's a howl that even little old ladies like!

KZCSI

www.KZ1300.com
Riders:
1968 BSA 441 Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 W3, 1976 KZ900, 1979 KZ750 Twin, 1979 KZ750 Twin Trike, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 2000 Valkyrie, 2009 Yamaha Roadliner S. 1983 GL 1100
Projects:
1985 ZN1300
Last edit: 04 Sep 2008 20:47 by KZQ.

• jjdwoodman
  • User
  • Live free, or die.
More
04 Sep 2008 21:01 #235566 by jjdwoodman
Replied by jjdwoodman on topic What's the attraction to V Twins?
KZCSI:

I believe the twins just follow the natural order... Eg. Women have two eyes, two arms, two legs.

The only reason the inlines were ever built was some "idiot" figured he really could do something with more than two jugs at once.:woohoo:

77 650b
81 550 Mostly there
83 ZN1300 Voyager

More
05 Sep 2008 05:10 #235593 by N0NB
Replied by N0NB on topic What's the attraction to V Twins?
Umm, because it's part of the uniform along with the backwards ball caps, cool sunglasses, wife-beater shirt, and brand new tribal/barb wire tattoos around their biceps?

Nate

Nates vintage bike axiom: Riding is the reward for time spent wrenching.
Murphys corollary: Wrenching is the result of time spent riding.

1979 KZ650 (Complete!)
1979 KZ650 SR (Sold!)
1979 KL250 (For sale)
1994 Bayou 400 (four wheel peel :D )

More
05 Sep 2008 05:33 #235600 by Locozuna
Replied by Locozuna on topic What's the attraction to V Twins?
Exactly!!!
;) ;) ;) ;)

KZ900LTD, KZ750LTD, KZ650, 72'Triumph Trident
"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

More
05 Sep 2008 06:10 #235609 by Z1109R Fin
Replied by Z1109R Fin on topic What's the attraction to V Twins?
The local HD HogHaus is in the same building as our office. I really meant only HD´s by my sh.te overw... etc. ´cause I´d love to have a 999 Duce some day.

But I´ve heard all too many times the huge noice they make and seen far too clearly they don´t have any action to back up the noice :whistle:

So any of you sayin that a V-Rod outruns a Kwak, well, which Kwak? Let´s take the H2 and you pick your V-Rod or to make it more clear we take same period/year bikes on the line. V-Rod vs 10R????? OK, let´s be fair: V-Rod vs 6R???? still no comp...OK then V-.Rod vs ER6? How down on scale do we have to go before V-Rod outruns a Kwak?????:P Ain´t that V-Rod an awesome machine...Yeah total 92hp and awesome 115nm torgue at 7krpm. Now where the heck do you get the idea of earth movign torque????? ZX14 has 154nm torgue at 7,5krpm....and 203hp and weighs 224kg vs V-Rods 307kg.

Or should we take the bikes on racetrack? Hmmm...V-Rod vs 10R....

So if you want to talk about power and torque check the facts first.

It´s all about image and biker-look. And outstanding marketing of Harley DavidsonB)

Z1000R ´83...Slightly modified...

More
05 Sep 2008 07:14 #235619 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic What's the attraction to V Twins?
Bill, You asked about v-twins and the thread turned into a testosterone spitting contest... I have owned more bikes than most of the folks here (I am older than I look hehe). The problem is, most folks start to equate v-twins with Harleys which are slow and heavy. One characteristic I find important is the type of power that makes it easy to ride in twisties FAST. My last Vulcan 1500A was about 500 lbs, had a reworked suspension and I hopped the engine up. You could hit a turn in ANY gear and twist the throttle and it would pull like a freight train out. It made me a better rider than I normally am. It was MUCH easier to ride fast than a 4 cylinder which has to be kept in its powerband. I just sold a Bandit 1200S which is supposed to be a torque-monster but the Bandit doesn't really compare to a big-inch v-twin like that Vulcan. I miss the Vulcan sometimes.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!
Attachments: