Stu Pidasole's Build

• kz1k
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • You Cant Fix Stupid!
More
09 Jan 2011 14:18 #421062 by kz1k
Replied by kz1k on topic Joe's '78 kz1000 build
i gatta get a better straight edge, the fkin level is hitting in certain spots, ill be back with a acurate measurement.

1978 KZ1000A2

"JUST IN! A MAN WHO HOLDS THE WORLD RECORD FOR USING THE MOST DRUGS DIES TODAY. HE WAS WAS ATTACKED BY A PACK OF WILD DOGS HE THOUGHT HE SAW"

WHY FART AND WASTE IT, WHEN YOU CAN BURP AND TASTE IT?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Jan 2011 14:31 #421063 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Joe's '78 kz1000 build
your gearing is going to depend on diameter of rear wheel,whats in the motor and how you intend to ride it.
same gearing will act completely differant on a basically stock motor that quits breathing by 7000 rpms vs a big inch fire breather

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
09 Jan 2011 18:31 #421109 by larrycavan
Replied by larrycavan on topic Joe's '78 kz1000 build
PLUMMEN wrote:

your gearing is going to depend on diameter of rear wheel,whats in the motor and how you intend to ride it.
same gearing will act completely differant on a basically stock motor that quits breathing by 7000 rpms vs a big inch fire breather

Rear tire circumference is what you want to measure. You can have a 16" and 17" wheel with dam near the same tire circumference. If you calculate on rim diameter only you can fool yourself ;)

• kz1k
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • You Cant Fix Stupid!
More
09 Jan 2011 18:46 #421118 by kz1k
larrycavan wrote:

PLUMMEN wrote:

Rear tire circumference is what you want to measure. You can have a 16" and 17" wheel with dam near the same tire circumference. If you calculate on rim diameter only you can fool yourself ;)

well larry, im sure you have a "fire breather" compared to what i am going to wind up with...1075, stock cams, welded crank. i was just going to use the same sprocket teeth you have since im sure you took all the homework out of it. i know nothing of gearing when it comes to sprockets....so i guess ill be googling my ass off, unless you have a good idea for me. i am not really looking to go 160 mph honestly. getting off "the line", and getting up to 80-100 max in a fast time is more of my liking. if that helps with advising me of front and rear sprocket sizes on my zx7r rear tire.

1978 KZ1000A2

"JUST IN! A MAN WHO HOLDS THE WORLD RECORD FOR USING THE MOST DRUGS DIES TODAY. HE WAS WAS ATTACKED BY A PACK OF WILD DOGS HE THOUGHT HE SAW"

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
09 Jan 2011 18:50 #421120 by larrycavan
Chain specs [a dam good link]

www.who-sells-it.com/cy/ek-chain-720/ek-...page-5-fullsize.html

This is where I got my drive sprocket

www.pmfronline.com/counter_shaft_sprockets.php

This will give you sprocket hole dimensions
www.jtsprockets.com/52.0.html?&L=0&sel_uid=5340&p=

Check this against your carrier measurements. If it does [and it should] you want a 530/41 with these stud and center hole specs.
Attachments:

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
09 Jan 2011 19:22 #421125 by larrycavan
kz1k wrote:

larrycavan wrote:

PLUMMEN wrote:

well larry, im sure you have a "fire breather" compared to what i am going to wind up with...1075, stock cams, welded crank. i was just going to use the same sprocket teeth you have since im sure you took all the homework out of it. i know nothing of gearing when it comes to sprockets....so i guess ill be googling my ass off, unless you have a good idea for me. i am not really looking to go 160 mph honestly. getting off "the line", and getting up to 80-100 max in a fast time is more of my liking. if that helps with advising me of front and rear sprocket sizes on my zx7r rear tire.

I'm at just under 3900 RPM @60MPH in 5th gear. Don't buy a cheap chain or you'll regret it. I got the MXVZ.

More
09 Jan 2011 19:28 #421126 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Joe's '78 kz1000 build
larrycavan wrote:

PLUMMEN wrote:

when i say wheel im thinking tire/rim together! :laugh:

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

• andy9802gt
  • User
  • If it tastes that good, eat it yourself.
More
09 Jan 2011 19:41 #421130 by andy9802gt
Replied by andy9802gt on topic Joe's '78 kz1000 build
larrycavan wrote:

Don't buy a cheap chain or you'll regret it.

Agreed 100%. I put a cheap chain on my 65 horse YFZ450, I think it was a marshall, and it just woould not quit stretching. I cut it three times before I got the hint and spent $35 more on a Renthal.

'78 KZ1075 LTD
stage 1 head by Larry Cavanaugh
race built crank by John Pearson
Mikuni rs34's
k410 cams
back cut tranny
8" over D&G swinger
proving once again that age and treachery is better than youth and enthusiasm

• kz1k
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • You Cant Fix Stupid!
More
09 Jan 2011 20:13 - 09 Jan 2011 20:23 #421143 by kz1k
larrycavan wrote:

Check this against your carrier measurements. If it does [and it should] you want a 530/41 with these stud and center hole specs.

seems these are my numbers. where should i buy this rear sprocket larry?

also is this the model front sprocket you baught? CS59TxxN 5/8" offset sprocket with nose Kawasaki J, GPZ large spline. Available in 14, 15 & 16 tooth 630, 16 & 17 tooth 530 $80.00

also what chain did you buy, and how many links/length?

1978 KZ1000A2

Last edit: 09 Jan 2011 20:23 by kz1k.

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
10 Jan 2011 06:10 #421187 by larrycavan
kz1k wrote:

larrycavan wrote:

also is this the model front sprocket you baught? CS59TxxN 5/8" offset sprocket with nose Kawasaki J, GPZ large spline. Available in 14, 15 & 16 tooth 630, 16 & 17 tooth 530 $80.00

No, that's not the sprocket you want. Call them and tell them you have KZ transmission and are going to 530 chain. Give them the offset you need. They didn't list the sprocket when I got mine but they had it.

• kz1k
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • You Cant Fix Stupid!
More
10 Jan 2011 06:42 #421191 by kz1k
larrycavan wrote:

kz1k wrote:

larrycavan wrote:

No, that's not the sprocket you want. Call them and tell them you have KZ transmission and are going to 530 chain. Give them the offset you need. They didn't list the sprocket when I got mine but they had it.

ok ill call em, im trying to figure out if this will work for the rear..... cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...:X:BOCOR:MOTORS:1123

1978 KZ1000A2

• stonemaster
  • Visitor
10 Jan 2011 06:48 #421193 by stonemaster
Replied by stonemaster on topic Joe's '78 kz1000 build
check Z1 enterprises, thats where I ordered my rear sprocket from