Stu Pidasole's Build

• kz1k
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • You Cant Fix Stupid!
More
08 Jan 2011 19:49 - 08 Jan 2011 19:56 #420911 by kz1k
Replied by kz1k on topic Joe's '78 kz1000 build
ok guys, in the next three photos i know its not acurate, just giving me an idea where my chain run need tweaking.

i used a level/straight edge inside against the front and back side of the rear tire. the outside is very vlose to the center of where the center of my rear rear sprocket will be mounted. if you look, you can see i have a lot more than a 5/8" difference. so i supose my options are to move the motor slightly over to the left, or buy a longer offset sprocket. any ideas?

the frame is not welded so there is room for movement.

1978 KZ1000A2

"JUST IN! A MAN WHO HOLDS THE WORLD RECORD FOR USING THE MOST DRUGS DIES TODAY. HE WAS WAS ATTACKED BY A PACK OF WILD DOGS HE THOUGHT HE SAW"

WHY FART AND WASTE IT, WHEN YOU CAN BURP AND TASTE IT?
Attachments:
Last edit: 08 Jan 2011 19:56 by kz1k.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• kz1k
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • You Cant Fix Stupid!
More
08 Jan 2011 19:49 #420912 by kz1k

1978 KZ1000A2

"JUST IN! A MAN WHO HOLDS THE WORLD RECORD FOR USING THE MOST DRUGS DIES TODAY. HE WAS WAS ATTACKED BY A PACK OF WILD DOGS HE THOUGHT HE SAW"

Attachments:

• kz1k
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • You Cant Fix Stupid!
More
08 Jan 2011 19:51 - 08 Jan 2011 19:52 #420915 by kz1k
.......looks like the center of the stock sprocket is 1", and the outside of the level is about a 1 and 3/8" diff.

1978 KZ1000A2

Attachments:
Last edit: 08 Jan 2011 19:52 by kz1k.

• kz1k
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • You Cant Fix Stupid!
More
08 Jan 2011 20:32 #420928 by kz1k
ok, after starring at the motor and the frame, the motor is not centered in the frame. it needs to go left, which is the way i need it to go.

1978 KZ1000A2

• stonemaster
  • Visitor
08 Jan 2011 23:09 #420934 by stonemaster
Replied by stonemaster on topic Joe's '78 kz1000 build
if u cant wait for offset sprocket go to hardware and get a few bolt,washers a such a space it out 5/8 for fab

dont know if this will help, but, on my chopper i had to do ALOT of frame straightening as i had purchased a warped frame, took me about 35 hrs of work,
to ensure straightness I had to establish a centerline and reference points to measure from, I used framing squares, torpedo and various other levels, but the framing square was key, I actually got some wood and built a impromptu table of sorts to use as a jig, I, like u had to deal with rear wheel issues but instead of taking the wheel on an off I determined the necessary width and kept measuring it, its also important to have frame on a flat and level surface for measuring accuracy, mine turned out great, i'd post pics but its a well .. non metric so ... good luck

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
09 Jan 2011 01:44 #420940 by larrycavan
Replied by larrycavan on topic Joe's '78 kz1000 build
kz1k wrote:

larry. it looks like before i get all my motor mounts done i need to get my 5/8" offset sprocket so i can line the sprocket/motor up with the rear sprocket, since the swing arm is fastened? does that sound right?

and will my stock kz rear sprocket work?
how many teeth should i get for my 5/8" offset sprocket?

The only motor mount work I had to do was add washers inside the mounts to take up some space there. It wasn't a fabrication project where they were concerned.

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
09 Jan 2011 07:46 #420963 by larrycavan
kz1k wrote:

larry. it looks like before i get all my motor mounts done i need to get my 5/8" offset sprocket so i can line the sprocket/motor up with the rear sprocket, since the swing arm is fastened? does that sound right?

I converted to 530 chain and sprockets and bought a 5/8 offset front sprocket. The 96 zx7 had 525 chain from the factory. As I recall I used another 750 sprocket that matched the carrier. I have 17/41 gearing.

The way you're going about fitting the swingarm is not the way I did it. I didn't have the issues you're running into because I took 20mm of material away in 4 spots so the frame didn't tweak around like yours did. I did not need to cut the frame anywhere excpet the lower rear cross member of the frame to fit in the 15mm spacer.

I would not go any further until I got sprockets and I most definitely wouldn't venture into moving the motor over :unsure: That opens up a whole 'nother realm of possible headaches.

Obviously you can fix the problems but it's a lot more work the way you're doing it Joe....

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
09 Jan 2011 07:51 #420967 by larrycavan
This was taken at the time I started to fine align the drive chain. Take the plastic chain guide off the arm when you do it. In this picture you can see how the rib in the center of that plastic guide threw the chain out of line.

You will install that guide again later on after it's been modified... [I did anyway]
Attachments:

More
09 Jan 2011 09:46 #420989 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Joe's '78 kz1000 build
bolt the engine back in where it came from and finish welding frame and get it straight before worrying about that chain,if the frame isnt straight nothing else is gonna be straight.
god bless stock frames and dual shocks! :woohoo:

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
09 Jan 2011 09:59 #420991 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic Joe's '78 kz1000 build
there joe see........

this is what i p.m,d him last night..................

mount the motor...worry about the sprockets last...do the rear axle straight and level to the steering stem....do the motor to the frame even in the space and dont even worry about the chain and gear that offsets-shims-moves-to the final step......
p.m #2

i saw those...i think you got to wait till your almost done and then see what the guys did..i think the front kz sprocket needs to change from 630 to 530 to match the zx rear...and the chain needs to be near the same links as larry's ended up being...i think that set is not gonna work for you at present
...wait or you will waste money twice

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

• kz1k
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • You Cant Fix Stupid!
More
09 Jan 2011 10:53 #421002 by kz1k
larrycavan wrote:

kz1k wrote:

I converted to 530 chain and sprockets and bought a 5/8 offset front sprocket. The 96 zx7 had 525 chain from the factory. As I recall I used another 750 sprocket that matched the carrier. I have 17/41 gearing.

The way you're going about fitting the swingarm is not the way I did it. I didn't have the issues you're running into because I took 20mm of material away in 4 spots so the frame didn't tweak around like yours did. I did not need to cut the frame anywhere excpet the lower rear cross member of the frame to fit in the 15mm spacer.

I would not go any further until I got sprockets and I most definitely wouldn't venture into moving the motor over :unsure: That opens up a whole 'nother realm of possible headaches.

Obviously you can fix the problems but it's a lot more work the way you're doing it Joe....

Larry says get sprockets first, others say do motor......lalalalala.

standing behind the bike looking down at the head studs, the motor is off center imo. most of the motor mounts work right now as it sits. ill go out there in a bit and see what i got going on..

been up since 5 am and only caught 2 flounders....heres my brother with one.

1978 KZ1000A2

Attachments:

• kz1k
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • You Cant Fix Stupid!
More
09 Jan 2011 11:21 #421006 by kz1k
can someone refiresh my memory? ehat is this for, it a hole in the frame that goes through thr case, but then ends.

1978 KZ1000A2

Attachments: