Stu Pidasole's Build

More
07 Jan 2011 12:49 #420594 by 531blackbanshee
Replied by 531blackbanshee on topic Joe's '78 kz1000 build
larrycavan wrote:

kz1k wrote:

larry i dont see your shifter on your bike...any closer photos?

83 GPz11 shifter Joe. Any reverse / linkage type shifter can be made to work as long as the splines fit the KZ shift shaft.

you can also use the stock shift lever and cut it off for the zx linkage rod to attach to.

leon

skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
07 Jan 2011 12:53 #420596 by larrycavan
Replied by larrycavan on topic Joe's '78 kz1000 build
kz1k wrote:

ok, i just baught the front and rear master cylinders, front and rear brake lines, the right perch and lever, the right side/brake peg, and left side, shifter peg for $210 bucks. i think i did ok.

Do yourself a favor... don't add up your invoices until the bike is done. It has a way of making you short cut things if you feel you're spending too much. Do it all properly and it costs what it costs ;)

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
07 Jan 2011 12:56 #420597 by larrycavan
531blackbanshee wrote:

DoubleDub wrote:

531blackbanshee wrote:

joe,here is the bottom of the zx stem(steel)with the kz stem(steel) pressed in to it.

larry chose to use a set screw to secure the two together,which has the advantage of making the stem removable.
in the past i have welded the two together for a permanent fix.you would have to have it machined to separate it.
the zx stem has a snap ring on the bottom od of the stem that locks against a step in the bottom of the lower triple preventing it from being pulled through the triple when tightend.
the kz stem has a step around the bottom od of the stem below where the lower race rides.
so when the two are locked together the snap ring prevents it coming up and the step prevents it going down.
my question to you joe is do you want it welded together or set screwed sir :huh: ?

leon

I can't picture the set screw - anyone have an example photo? I follow to this point and even understand welding the two together, but how would you use the set screw?

i would spotface a spot on the back of the triple and drill a hole that went all the way through the triple,the zx stem(bushing now)and through the kz stem then tap it and put a small bolt through and locktite it in place.thereby captureing the kz stem into the zx triple with no worries about the kz stem getting pulled back up outta the whole mess.
hth,
leon

Thats exactly what the long allen head set screws do.
All 3 pieces are drilled & tapped. Set Screws are loctited. It's never going anywhere.

• kz1k
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • You Cant Fix Stupid!
More
07 Jan 2011 13:06 #420598 by kz1k
Replied by kz1k on topic Joe's '78 kz1000 build
531blackbanshee wrote:

larrycavan wrote:

kz1k wrote:

larry i dont see your shifter on your bike...any closer photos?

83 GPz11 shifter Joe. Any reverse / linkage type shifter can be made to work as long as the splines fit the KZ shift shaft.

you can also use the stock shift lever and cut it off for the zx linkage rod to attach to.

leon

so buying the zx shifter was ok?

1978 KZ1000A2

"JUST IN! A MAN WHO HOLDS THE WORLD RECORD FOR USING THE MOST DRUGS DIES TODAY. HE WAS WAS ATTACKED BY A PACK OF WILD DOGS HE THOUGHT HE SAW"

WHY FART AND WASTE IT, WHEN YOU CAN BURP AND TASTE IT?

More
07 Jan 2011 13:10 #420600 by 531blackbanshee
Replied by 531blackbanshee on topic Joe's '78 kz1000 build
yes,
because it fits the pegs and brackets that you are going to use.now you just have to attach it to the shift shaft.either with the zx linkage and ends or with some modded stuff.either way you needed it.

leon

skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0

• kz1k
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • You Cant Fix Stupid!
More
07 Jan 2011 13:13 #420602 by kz1k
531blackbanshee wrote:

yes,
because it fits the pegs and brackets that you are going to use.now you just have to attach it to the shift shaft.either with the zx linkage and ends or with some modded stuff.either way you needed it.

leon

i was just looking at the kz shifter and its steel, i believe the zx is alum....not sure.:blush:

1978 KZ1000A2

"JUST IN! A MAN WHO HOLDS THE WORLD RECORD FOR USING THE MOST DRUGS DIES TODAY. HE WAS WAS ATTACKED BY A PACK OF WILD DOGS HE THOUGHT HE SAW"

• stonemaster
  • Visitor
07 Jan 2011 13:17 #420603 by stonemaster
Replied by stonemaster on topic Joe's '78 kz1000 build
larrycavan wrote:

kz1k wrote:

ok, i just baught the front and rear master cylinders, front and rear brake lines, the right perch and lever, the right side/brake peg, and left side, shifter peg for $210 bucks. i think i did ok.

Do yourself a favor... don't add up your invoices until the bike is done. It has a way of making you short cut things if you feel you're spending too much. Do it all properly and it costs what it costs ;)

better yet do what I do, throw em away
some things are better not known:ohmy:
I dont want to know what i spent on my chopper
I'm trying to not know what I've spent on this project.
Cause if i did there probably wouldnt be another one:blink:

• kz1k
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • You Cant Fix Stupid!
More
07 Jan 2011 13:49 - 07 Jan 2011 13:51 #420607 by kz1k
trianglelaguna wrote:

kz1k wrote:

porchev914 wrote:

Well, what was it Joe? Did you have the spacers reversed?

no the spacers were fine. right now i just have the frame tacked, so i took the trusty ol grinder out, cut 2 tachs and adjusted it. then tacked her back up.

that was my guess.....maybe ride better if you center stuff...:P

i didnt have the sprocket hub, and caliper when i fit the swingarm up. thats why i am thinking i was a 1/2" off. now shes closer until i grab a laser.

1978 KZ1000A2

Attachments:
Last edit: 07 Jan 2011 13:51 by kz1k.

• DoubleDub
  • Visitor
07 Jan 2011 15:02 #420614 by DoubleDub
Replied by DoubleDub on topic Joe's '78 kz1000 build
larrycavan wrote:

531blackbanshee wrote:

i would spotface a spot on the back of the triple and drill a hole that went all the way through the triple,the zx stem(bushing now)and through the kz stem then tap it and put a small bolt through and locktite it in place.thereby captureing the kz stem into the zx triple with no worries about the kz stem getting pulled back up outta the whole mess.
hth,
leon

Thats exactly what the long allen head set screws do.
All 3 pieces are drilled & tapped. Set Screws are loctited. It's never going anywhere.

Thanks guys, makes sense.

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
07 Jan 2011 21:44 - 07 Jan 2011 21:49 #420677 by larrycavan
Joe,

You might not run into this but in case you do. My knees would touch the valve cover after I got my pegs mounted. That's why I made the two heat shields that attach with valve cover bolts.

You want the engine in the frame with your pipe on it when you set off to position your foot pegs. Bake pedal clearance was an obstacle for me. I had to add a stainless section to the collector to move my muffler back a little or the brake pedal would hit the pipe. Even thought the lever is adjustable, it wasn't enough.

Attachments:
Last edit: 07 Jan 2011 21:49 by larrycavan.

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
07 Jan 2011 21:55 - 07 Jan 2011 21:58 #420679 by larrycavan
Another thing you need to do for Leon. Turn the ride height adjusters all the way up [back them off] and measure the height from the top of the fork tube to the top of the dampening adjuster screw. That's the brass screw in the center. The ride height adjusters are the large adjusters with two flats. The adjusters have circular marks to help you keep them even.

Leon should have that dimension when making the handle bar risers. If they're not high enough, you'll loose adjustment range.

You're probably going to want those adjusters turned all the way back down to the next to last mark for enough ride height for header clearance. You still want to have the option of full adjustment range though.
Last edit: 07 Jan 2011 21:58 by larrycavan.

• kz1k
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • You Cant Fix Stupid!
More
08 Jan 2011 06:50 - 08 Jan 2011 06:51 #420709 by kz1k
ok heres the adjusters on my forks, whats what, and what do i do with em? i take it this is the ride height adjuster?

1978 KZ1000A2

Attachments:
Last edit: 08 Jan 2011 06:51 by kz1k.