Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

OMR: '76 KZ900 Restoration/Modification 02 May 2009 21:46 #287322

• arai59
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 1
Funny thing about dyno's. Any good dyno guy can make the numbers read many ways. And most dyno's are crap. It takes a hell of a lot of dough to increase a stock bike to reach big HP on pump gas. Although it's fun trying.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

OMR: '76 KZ900 Restoration/Modification 03 May 2009 10:07 #287455

• Old Man Rock
  • Old Man Rock's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 225
I'm not trying to reach big Dyno HP numbers. As mentioned, I was more interested in the results for jetting purposes.

Considering I chose to stay rather mild on my re-build (1015cc, .365 cams, 29mm carbies, mild head/valve P&P) the numbers are fairly close to the expected 95HP range provided by Plummen and Larry C.

Knowing I was running rich via plugs being sooty, I was rather surprised at the 86HP obtained. At first I was like, well that sucks but then in speaking with my mentors, I was informed NO dumbass (:laugh:), these are good numbers considering.

The DYNO sheets in the manuals are not always rear wheel HP numbers but at the cc sprocket/output drive. :ohmy:
no wonder!

As explained to me, stock 903cc would be ~ 60HP at the rear wheel so when completed (carb tweaking), I will have gained 35HP in my build.... SWEET!!!! B)

OMR
1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

OMR: '76 KZ900 Restoration/Modification 03 May 2009 15:23 #287549

• arai59
  • User is blocked
You gained 35 hp with mild p&p and cams w/29's on a basically stock 1000 motor ?

OMR: '76 KZ900 Restoration/Modification 03 May 2009 16:26 #287563

• PLUMMEN
  • User
  • Thank you received: 103
im gonna venture he made around 28 over stock 1015(im gonna guess 67 stock)remember stock motor as in stock restrictive exhuast, smog motor 26mm carbs a bottlenecked stock cylinder head and a small set of cams that only a turbo motor could love and around 8:1 and some change compression,also great for a turbo! :laugh: with some tuning and a few miles to seat the rings i could definately see this motor knocking right at 95-100 hp depending on how hard you want to push it.but remember hp means nothing without the rest of the band being on the same sheet of music so without a decent chassis and tires its all wasted B)
Still recovering,some days are better than others.

OMR: '76 KZ900 Restoration/Modification 03 May 2009 16:39 #287569

• arai59
  • User is blocked
Venture.......Guess ? Stock compression too ? Pump gas ? Which brand? :lol: My 77 1000 has 1105 Wiseco pistons with 29's Mikunis w/ header. On a $100,000 dyno the results were hysterical. My 79 MK2 with 1045 Wiseco and 29's is even less. These old 8 valve pigs aren't hp queens. You gotta pump some real cash to get the numbers you desire. I get a kick out of people who are lead to believe real hp gains are simple bolt ons and tweakings. In fact on modern sport bikes you loose power from exhaust mods. But they'll tell you that you gained 15 hp. The searh for power never ends and I like it too. But 35 hp from this seems a bit much.

Last edit: by arai59.

OMR: '76 KZ900 Restoration/Modification 03 May 2009 16:51 #287575

• PLUMMEN
  • User
id say the problem with the 1105 if its using stock 1015 sleeves is the bores arent staying round which dont help hp,a 1075 which keeps a round bore should make close to if not more power once the 2 warm up if all else is same.ive built plenty of motors that disapointed me,mostly from mismatching parts when i was too smart for my own good.once i started listening to people with a little experiance and wasted a lot of my own money i started having better results.omrs experiance is a little more than just bolt on stuff he listened to what actually worked best under his circumstances and had his motor built the right way.getting up to the 100hp mark aint really complicated if you think about what your doing,getting the next 30hp is where it takes buckets of time and money! B)

OMR: '76 KZ900 Restoration/Modification 03 May 2009 17:07 #287580

• arai59
  • User is blocked
Yeah right. Bores not round ? This is good. BTW.........I drilled my own cylinders with a Black and Decker electric drill. Of course you know how complicated and time consuming that can be. I think their straight though. I have read his mods and understand well. I too listen to experts. And "they"(non smoke screeners) flat tell you the truth. Although if his bike is producing those numbers thats outstanding. It's just the first time I have seen that gain from this little work. Congratulations. I guess I'm gonna buy that rare snake oyl enhancer from Terlingua Texas. I heard 2 drops of the potent venom from the Galatyn snake in a tank of Shell 93 can make a 52 percent hp gain. I'll keep you posted.

OMR: '76 KZ900 Restoration/Modification 03 May 2009 17:20 #287584

• timebomb33
  • User
  • Thank you received: 10
i have a 1075 in my street bike that has made a 110+ and close to 80 lbs of tourque every time it's been dynoed and they wern't all done at the same place so i know that's what it actually makes the motor has a ported head ,29 smoothbores,.395 web cam's,dyna ignition and the pistons are 10.25-1 mtc's the head does have big valves in it but that is really the only thing special in it. one other thing i have over 19,000 miles on this engine and it still pulls hard and strong as the day i built it. i have dynoed it at a h-d dealer in calgary that i used to work for and a bmw shop also in calgary once in sturgis and once in corpus christi. so i know that i'm getting what has been shown. like plummen sais if only the next 30 or in my case 50 horse was so easy to come by on gas. without resorting to plummens favorite weapon the dreaded turbo. i like my bikes to sound like they are making big power even if they aren't.
1973 z1 2-1974z1-a,2-1975z1-b dragbikes1015cc+1393cc, 1977kz1000,1978kz1000,1981kz1000j, 1997 zx-11, 2000 z12r,1428turbo nitrous pro-mod and a shit load of parts thats all for now leader sask.,CANADA
I THINK MY POWERBAND BROKE

Last edit: by timebomb33.

OMR: '76 KZ900 Restoration/Modification 03 May 2009 17:21 #287587

• PLUMMEN
  • User
arai59 wrote:

Yeah right. Bores not round ? This is good. BTW.........I drilled my own cylinders with a Black and Decker electric drill. Of course you know how complicated and time consuming that can be. I think their straight though. I have read his mods and understand well. I too listen to experts. And "they"(non smoke screeners) flat tell you the truth. Although if his bike is producing those numbers thats outstanding. It's just the first time I have seen that gain from this little work. Congratulations. I guess I'm gonna buy that rare snake oyl enhancer from Terlingua Texas. I heard 2 drops of the potent venom from the Galatyn snake in a tank of Shell 93 can make a 52 percent hp gain. I'll keep you posted.

wow,i use a milwaukee super hawg myself !id suggest you talk to somebody whos built a few motors,i dont care if its a damn lawn mower engine if you dont have a certain amount of beef in your cylinder walls or sleeves in this case as the motor heats up and things start to expand and contract your bore will not remain round.on a dragbike that runs for ten seconds and cools off 30 minutes before the next run its not such a big deal,on a bike that gets run extended periods of time and spends a lot of time in stop and go traffic it makes a lot of differance.but by all means feel free to ask somebody at APE or Larry C or anybody else who makes a living building/working on motors rather then just getting drunk and starting battles .

OMR: '76 KZ900 Restoration/Modification 03 May 2009 17:44 #287608

• arai59
  • User is blocked
PLUMMEN wrote:

arai59 wrote:

wow,i use a milwaukee super hawg myself !id suggest you talk to somebody whos built a few motors,i dont care if its a damn lawn mower engine if you dont have a certain amount of beef in your cylinder walls or sleeves in this case as the motor heats up and things start to expand and contract your bore will not remain round.on a dragbike that runs for ten seconds and cools off 30 minutes before the next run its not such a big deal,on a bike that gets run extended periods of time and spends a lot of time in stop and go traffic it makes a lot of differance.but by all means feel free to ask somebody at APE or Larry C or anybody else who makes a living building/working on motors rather then just getting drunk and starting battles .

Yeah ok hot shot. Why you getting your pretty pink panties in a wad ? Drunk ? Try harder there Barney Clark. No battles here. I too know guy's who build race engines. I have talked to them at length. They say the same thing time and again to me as well. And if you read the previous post instead of getting your neck hair raised I congratulated him on his HP gains. I was only questioning it because I never in my 30 plus years of this have seen that. But what do I know.......your the professional.

OMR: '76 KZ900 Restoration/Modification 03 May 2009 17:51 #287611

• PLUMMEN
  • User
and youre the drunk! :laugh:

OMR: '76 KZ900 Restoration/Modification 03 May 2009 17:57 #287613

• arai59
  • User is blocked
PLUMMEN wrote:

and youre the drunk! :laugh:

Not quite pal. Looks like you joined this thread to start your usual caca. I'm sure this will get interesting later. Thanks for piping up skippy.

Sorry OMR. Didn't mean for this to turn south. Guess I should have pm'd you with questions than letting the the local "know it all" hack this.