@%$*&%

• kz1k
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • You Cant Fix Stupid!
More
02 Oct 2010 13:22 - 02 Oct 2010 13:27 #403424 by kz1k
@%$*&% was created by kz1k
i have a electrical problem. the bike i am working on is not a kz, but i have been talking to another forum and was told to replace a voltage regulator. the regulator came today and i still have no spark. i need a wire guy. badly. i dont want to keep buying parts i dont need. this bike is just a investment, once it runs its sold. somebody with electric knowlege gimme a hand please.....i dont know where else to go.

1978 KZ1000A2

"JUST IN! A MAN WHO HOLDS THE WORLD RECORD FOR USING THE MOST DRUGS DIES TODAY. HE WAS WAS ATTACKED BY A PACK OF WILD DOGS HE THOUGHT HE SAW"

WHY FART AND WASTE IT, WHEN YOU CAN BURP AND TASTE IT?
Last edit: 02 Oct 2010 13:27 by kz1k.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Oct 2010 13:38 #403426 by racer54
Replied by racer54 on topic @%$*&%
You know more then I do when it comes to electrical issues but if you can write up what the problem is, what you've done, etc. somebody on here might be able to help. No one knows what you are needing help with or on what.Explain in more depth and I'm sure you will get some help.

1980 LTD (changed over the years), 1979 LTD (being rebuilt), 1977 KZ turbo and various KZ's in various states of build. KLX110

More
02 Oct 2010 13:53 #403428 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic @%$*&%
is it an ignition problem or charging problem youre looking for? B)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
02 Oct 2010 14:11 #403437 by jeffasaki
Replied by jeffasaki on topic @%$*&%
BY the sounds of it Id say you need a flux capaciter.But I dont think its been invented yet.So youll have to wait for a lightning storm and run a cable from the clock at city hall.That should fix er up.

78 Z1R
78 KZ1000
76 KH500 gone
71 HS1B 90
81 GS 1100 gone
80 PE400
02 KLR

Ontario Canada

• kz1k
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • You Cant Fix Stupid!
More
02 Oct 2010 14:14 - 02 Oct 2010 14:16 #403441 by kz1k
Replied by kz1k on topic @%$*&%
here we go. origionally the bike would crank but no spark. i took a meter to the coils, they were good. so i thought is was the tci/ignitor. then in the yamaha fzr forum i was told the voltage regulator goes bad in those bikes. so you can upgrade to a r6 regulator. so i ordered one. it came today. i installed it correctly. still no spark.

now, under the tank there is a 3 wire plug. blue brown and red. they go to the ignition and to the regulator. from the plug to the front of the bike the red wire was hot to the touch. from the plug the red wire back was fine. i seperated the plug and saw the brown and red wire terminals were rusted. so i thought the plug might be why the wire in fronht is getting hot. i cut the wires and butt connected them together excluding the plug. now i have no ignition light and cant even crank over the bike. let me see if the red wire reads hot like it did earlir...brb.

1978 KZ1000A2

"JUST IN! A MAN WHO HOLDS THE WORLD RECORD FOR USING THE MOST DRUGS DIES TODAY. HE WAS WAS ATTACKED BY A PACK OF WILD DOGS HE THOUGHT HE SAW"

Last edit: 02 Oct 2010 14:16 by kz1k.

• kz1k
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • You Cant Fix Stupid!
More
02 Oct 2010 14:27 #403444 by kz1k
ok i traced the power from the battery. it got to the main fuse. its 2-30 amp fuses. it blew 1 of them.

1978 KZ1000A2

More
02 Oct 2010 14:31 #403445 by PLUMMEN
follow that wire to the next plug forward and disconect it.
then check the wire going back for continuity to ground on the frame or engine,then check next wire going forward. B)

More
02 Oct 2010 14:37 #403447 by PLUMMEN
what year/model is this bike?

• kz1k
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • You Cant Fix Stupid!
More
02 Oct 2010 14:40 #403449 by kz1k
ok i put in the spare fuse. i got my ignition working, horn, lights, fuel pump. but no spark. i am taking a spark plug and resting it againts the motor as a ground to check for spark. now what?

1978 KZ1000A2

• kz1k
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • You Cant Fix Stupid!
More
02 Oct 2010 14:43 #403450 by kz1k
PLUMMEN wrote:

what year/model is this bike?

its a 89 fzr600 yamaha

1978 KZ1000A2

Attachments:

• kz1k
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • You Cant Fix Stupid!
More
02 Oct 2010 15:08 #403452 by kz1k
my head is frieken killing me. i am going to step back for a second and enjoy my bbq rib dinner. the only thing im looking foward to. if any of you can tell me what to look for, or anything i would really appreciate it. i would take this to a diff forum, but i have been to 2 of them regarding the spark, and nothing. everyone has a theory. Joe

1978 KZ1000A2

More
02 Oct 2010 15:50 - 02 Oct 2010 15:54 #403455 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic @%$*&%
Why I'm helping you on this I just don't know.... :S

OK, found a basic wiring diagram that's REQUIRED... As we informed you in the beginning, do your research for there's no way in hell you're going to get it right going in blind as such...

Insure battery is fully charged.... ;)

All Vdc measurements are in reference to ground... Frame or battery (-). Set your DVM for +20Vdc range if not auto ranging.

OK, upper left corner is the ignition switch...
RED conductor is the Battery/Regulator feed... Should be able to measure +12 - 12.5Vdc

Turn on the ignition switch...
You should now be able to measure the same +12Vdc on the two blue and brown conductors...

The brown is the one we're most interested in for this feeds into the FUSE BOX (far right fuse) for ignition system. Measure across both sides of the fuse for +12Vdc... Then insure/measure at the ignition control unit on this conductor as well....

All good so far....

Ok, upper middle drawing, Right Handle Bar Switch....
See Stop Switch, insure this is operating and in the closed position for the +12Vdc from the ignition fuse feeds the stop switch and gets passed to the ignition coils and spark plugs.... Measure for +12Vdc on both of the stop switch and then at the coils insuring it's reaching it's destination....

This diagram also indicates a clutch switch (bottom left handle bar) for passing +12Vdc to the Starting Circuit cut out relay... Most likely have to pull in the clutch to start....

This drawing also depicts a side Kick Stand Switch thus inure it's operating.... Most likely requires to be in the in the up position to start..

OK, give these a shot and get back to us....

Now my head hurts....

OMR

EDIT... I have to re-size the image, wait one....
Until then, download from here....

www.fzronline.com/wiki/doku.php?do=show&...asic_wiring_diagrams

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az
Last edit: 02 Oct 2010 15:54 by Old Man Rock.