Seafoam causing carb problem??

More
26 Mar 2016 07:14 #717409 by Rockranch
Replied by Rockranch on topic Seafoam causing carb problem??
YAAAAAAAY!!!..."Burnouts and wheelies here we coooooome!!!". Engine stop switch?...did that once myself back in the day. lol...hmmmmm! ..................................Mike

Vroom-vroom!!

(2)-1976 KZ900B-LTD's
1-all stock low mileage...
1 modified
1977 KZ1000 (awaiting resurrection!) :)
...and an old school Honda CB750 Chopper is next on my bucket list!

Oh...and a Pocket Rocket lol!!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Mar 2016 07:24 - 26 Mar 2016 07:40 #717411 by Rockranch

pete greek1 wrote:

car5car wrote:

Rockranch wrote: One surefire way of testing for good spark is removing plug, reinsert in plug cap and tap the starter button while holding plug with thumb on electrode. Sounds crude but a foolproof way to tell the strength of spark if any at all. (this method not recommended for anyone with a pacemaker). ................................Mike

Vroom-vroom!!!

That is not the best way. Groin area is more sensitive. :evil:

:woohoo: :woohoo: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Pete

Or with a cpl plugwire extensions cld even be a crude homemade defibrillator for a heart attack victim if no AED is nearby. 'Twld make an awesome Youtube story..."KZ900 restarts heart attack victim's heart on roadside!" Worth a try. .......................Mike

Bzzzz-bzzz!

(2)-1976 KZ900B-LTD's
1 modified

Last edit: 26 Mar 2016 07:40 by Rockranch. Reason: msp

More
26 Mar 2016 09:13 #717421 by tri650
Replied by tri650 on topic Seafoam causing carb problem??
Went out this morning and it started right up on full choke. Feathered choke for about 30 seconds then got a nice steady idle. Will take out later for an extended ride. Want to make sure it will stay up and running for more than 10 miles. Then check the plugs. What an awesome feeling - after many trials and tribulations it is now running. And in my short ride yesterday it was like a bat out of hell. Smooth linear power. Can't wait for an extended ride.

• Z1Driver
  • User
  • love the smell of triple smoke
More
26 Mar 2016 17:08 #717473 by Z1Driver
Replied by Z1Driver on topic Seafoam causing carb problem??

tri650 wrote: At 61 years of age I need something to shock my groin area.

I would think that would depend on what she looked like.

Blue 1975 Z1B
Red 2009 Concours 14

More
26 Mar 2016 19:16 #717497 by tri650
Took my extended ride today - OK, about 10 miles again. Ran awesome at the start and then about 10 miles in it started to cut out and lose power. Like on 2-3 cylinders. Stopped and started it again and it was still sputtering. Thinking maybe I was out of gas. Anyway, after getting gas still ran like crap. Then got loud. I got about a mile from home and pulled over and noticed this... must have lost muffler at some point. It was an aftermarket Kerker. Barely got home. New Supertrapp on the way.

Attachment Muffler.jpg not found

Attachments:

More
26 Mar 2016 19:33 - 26 Mar 2016 19:37 #717499 by Rockranch
Hmmm...let me see...you ("must have lost a muffler at some point"). As in you don't know when your muffler...mmm-errr... fell off??? When your exhaust 'got loud', you did not think to stop right then and check your exhaust instead of keeping riding? Hmmm. ....................................Mike

Vroom-vroom!!!

(2)-1976 KZ900B-LTD's
1 modified

Last edit: 26 Mar 2016 19:37 by Rockranch. Reason: msp

More
26 Mar 2016 19:44 #717503 by Rockranch
Quite odd. The back half of that exhaust is a mighty big piece of tail pipe to not notice when it apparently fell off by the clanging it wld have made bouncing on the road behind you no matter how loud it was.

(2)-1976 KZ900B-LTD's
1 modified

More
26 Mar 2016 20:43 #717514 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Seafoam causing carb problem??

Rockranch wrote: Quite odd. The back half of that exhaust is a mighty big piece of tail pipe to not notice when it apparently fell off by the clanging it wld have made bouncing on the road behind you no matter how loud it was.

True! When I blew a shorty muffler off my BSA I new right away! :laugh: :laugh: I was able to stop and retrieve it after it cooled off. :) Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
27 Mar 2016 05:54 #717538 by tri650
I guess I got some explaining to do. Bike is loud anyway so not a big difference off or on. Plus I am hard of hearing. Since it was running like crap it was hard to tell when it came off. I will resume search this morning. I didn't go that far so the search path isn't big. Regardless I was planning on ordering a new supertrapp anyway so this just accelerates the process. The adventure continues!

More
27 Mar 2016 07:21 #717564 by Rockranch
No explaining necessary Pal. Most everyone here has had a wild adventure of some kind at some point in time. We're on your side and hope you get it running consistently. 4-1's and intake changes have the potential to create a crappy running engine and likely frustrating tuning challenges, as thread after thread after thread of these same problems indicate. When was your last valve clearance check?...Cylinder head torque?...exhaust port leaks?...compression test. (with gauge)?...timing?...cam chain slop and wear? Might be a good time for a good thorough complete top-end inspection. certainly can't hurt. Hang in there pal , you'll get there. .......................................................Mike

Vroom-vroom!!!

(2)-1976 KZ900B-LTD's
1 modified

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
27 Mar 2016 07:39 #717567 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Seafoam causing carb problem??
I had a baffle blow out on my Jardine 2/1 muffler on the FWY. Had to stop, walk back and pick it up. The pop rivet broke. I fitted 6m nuts and bolts to both of them. Lucky no one ran over it, that would have FK'ed up my day. :dry:
Steve

More
27 Mar 2016 07:54 #717572 by Rockranch

swest wrote: I had a baffle blow out on my Jardine 2/1 muffler on the FWY. Had to stop, walk back and pick it up. The pop rivet broke. I fitted 6m nuts and bolts to both of them. Lucky no one ran over it, that would have FK'ed up my day. :dry:
Steve

I had the same thing happen with a Kerker comp baffle back in my Tulsa days. Was cruising along 64/51 freeway and all-a-sud BLAAAAAAAAAA! Saw it tumbling along behind me in my mirror. A cpl repairable dents is all. Lucky as well. .................................Mike

Vroom-vroom!

(2)-1976 KZ900B-LTD's
1 modified