Premium Fuel?

• Kawickrice
  • User
  • After Monday & Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF
More
18 Jul 2010 09:27 #383606 by Kawickrice
Replied by Kawickrice on topic Premium Fuel?
ed spangler wrote:

Just my 2 cents, but I have found something equally interesting. 'Round here all the Gas has 10% Ethanol added ....EXCEPT one station that sells 100% Gas, My cars, truck and bike ALL run better on the 100% gas.
Yeah it costs .03 a gallon more .
Runs MUCH better on plain regular 100% gas!
ED

All we can get here is ethanol. Unless you go to a marina and pay out the nose for it. I HATE ethanol, it is not cheap enough to be effective, because of a corn shortage beef and pork have gone up.

73 Kawasaki Z1
07 HD CVO Ultra Classic
82 Suzuki GS 1100
74 Yamaha RD 350 (My two stroke toy)
77 Kawasaki KZ 650B-1 (My putt around bike)
80 Indian Moped (My American Iron)
Long Gone
75 Suzuki GT550
74 GT 380
79 RD 400 Daytona Special
72 Honda CL 175
74 Honda QA 50
Tampa FL

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Jul 2010 09:50 - 18 Jul 2010 09:51 #383608 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic Premium Fuel?
Otto's garage :blink:

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az
Attachments:
Last edit: 18 Jul 2010 09:51 by Old Man Rock.

More
18 Jul 2010 10:35 #383614 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Premium Fuel?
Kawickrice wrote:

otakar you seem to be pretty knowledgeable on the subject. Do you remember the Amoco White gas what happened to it?

I know someone who swore that mothballs would increase octane if you crushed them up and put into the gas any truth to this?

they turn the gas into ether

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

• kaw a bong a
  • User
  • Have a 1978 kz 650 b and a 1976 kz 900z1ltd
More
18 Jul 2010 15:26 #383682 by kaw a bong a
Replied by kaw a bong a on topic Premium Fuel?
whatever you use dont use ''bp''gas .dont ask why unless you have been under a rock for the last couple months.

1978kz650b 1976kz900 first bike 1979kz 400

More
18 Jul 2010 16:17 #383689 by zed1015
Replied by zed1015 on topic Premium Fuel?
kaw a bong a wrote:

whatever you use dont use ''bp''gas .dont ask why unless you have been under a rock for the last couple months.

Is that because it might have water in it ? :lol:

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

• Kawickrice
  • User
  • After Monday & Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF
More
18 Jul 2010 16:30 #383690 by Kawickrice
Replied by Kawickrice on topic Premium Fuel?
kaw a bong a wrote:

I will boycott BP once they cleanup the Gulf and take care of the fisherman and anyone affected. We have been screwed because of thier big mistakes.

If everyone boycotted them now they will file bankruptcy and take thier ball home and leave this wreck for the taxpayers to fix. I will boycott, but in a few years once things are as back to normal as can be.

73 Kawasaki Z1
07 HD CVO Ultra Classic
82 Suzuki GS 1100
74 Yamaha RD 350 (My two stroke toy)
77 Kawasaki KZ 650B-1 (My putt around bike)
80 Indian Moped (My American Iron)
Long Gone
75 Suzuki GT550
74 GT 380
79 RD 400 Daytona Special
72 Honda CL 175
74 Honda QA 50
Tampa FL

• DoubleDub
  • Visitor
18 Jul 2010 19:05 #383730 by DoubleDub
Replied by DoubleDub on topic Premium Fuel?
Amoco Gasoline is a very, very small portion of BP's business. On top of that, all stations that sell Amoco fuel are independently owned and operated franchises (at least, not owned by BP). Boycotting BP's products at the pump will do more harm to those folks than it will to BP itself.

A quick google search found this as a first result: www.usatoday.com/news/opinion/editorials...editorial24_ST_N.htm

But...to bring things back on topic:
OMR - using the term loosely to mean 87 octane unleaded w/10% (really anywhere up to 20%) ethanol.

I don't believe it's been hot enough around here until recently for me to compare the effects of 87 octane vs. premium. I used to try to buy non-ethanol fuel, but it's getting too difficult anymore.

More
18 Jul 2010 19:40 #383738 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Premium Fuel?
zed1015 wrote:

kaw a bong a wrote:

Is that because it might have water in it ? :lol:

I hear the Gulf is up to 89 octane.....:ohmy:

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
18 Jul 2010 20:02 - 18 Jul 2010 20:04 #383742 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Premium Fuel?
kaw a bong a wrote:

should we boycott the feds and coast gaurd also? id say they share some blame in this one.
last time i looked oil companys hire lots of employees and spend lots of money buying things from other industries.they also pay lots of taxes on profits to keep crooked politicians rolling in dough to spend on their pet projects while complaining about big companys being corrupt,oh yeah then theres all that election campaign money the politicians keep forgetting about! :laugh:

Still recovering,some days are better than others.
Attachments:
Last edit: 18 Jul 2010 20:04 by PLUMMEN.

More
18 Jul 2010 20:09 #383744 by otakar
Replied by otakar on topic Premium Fuel?
Kawickrice wrote:

otakar you seem to be pretty knowledgeable on the subject. Do you remember the Amoco White gas what happened to it?

I know someone who swore that mothballs would increase octane if you crushed them up and put into the gas any truth to this?

White gas can me bought threw sporting goods stores it is what is used in camp stoves. It has absolutely no additives in it and consists mostly of "Naphtha". Actually white gas is the colloquial term for Naphtha. When it comes to "moth balls" The bigger the motes the more octane. :woohoo: Just kidding. be very careful when you use that term. There are a couple different types of "Moth Balls" There is "Naphthalene" and there is "Dichlorobenzene" If you use the DCB stile it turns to hydrochloric acid when it burns and will not be very friendly to your engine. Matter of fact I am making an attempt to make a dramatic understatement here. DCB will destroy your engine within one tank of fuel burned. On the other hand "Naphthalene" is what all the stories are about. Naphthalene has an octane rating of 90. It used to be used well into the 40s as an octane booster when gas had an average rating of about 40+/- One thing that Naphthalene will do is increase energy density in gasoline. It works very well on modern fuel injected engines with all the exhaust sensors. It will in fact increase fuel millage quite a bit. to the point where a Texas oil company put an additive manufacturer out of business because he was decreasing their profits. They filed a suit with the Texas Attorney General to shut him down. There is a fine art in using Naphthalene. I run one moth ball per gallon of gas in my Dodge van and my wifes Jaguar, In the van I went from 480 miles on a 35 gallon tank to 640 miles on the same tank running ONE MB per gallon of gas. My wifes 2006 Jaguar XJR (420hp Supercharged)Gets 31mpg on the highway running 1Mb per gallon of gas. (Results may vary a bit). In the case of the Jaguar the MB actually lowers the octane a tiny bit but the car seams to run much better. I am a bit dubious of the claimed octane ratings of certain premium fuels. If you want o run MB in a carbureted engine you will have to jet for them and than keep on running them. If you stop running them or forget to put them in the fuel the engine will run lean. The fuel injected engines automatically adjust the mixture themselves. I first dissolve the MBs in a mixture of Xylene and Lucas Fuel treatment. I use one oz of each per two MBs used, and dissolve them in a Polly Ethylene (PETE) plastic bottle. You can also use HDPE or metal cans.

74 Z1-A stock
76 KZ-900 Totaly stock vice MAC pipe
77 KZ-1000A stock
78 Z1-R 100%MINT 500 original Mi.
78 Z1-R Yoshi 1103 kit stage 1 cams Yoshi pipe. Etc
79 KZ-1300 (1400)
80 KZ-1300
81 Scratch built GPz1150R
82 KZ1000

More
18 Jul 2010 20:16 #383746 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Premium Fuel?
PLUMMEN wrote:

kaw a bong a wrote:

should we boycott the feds and coast gaurd also? id say they share some blame in this one.
last time i looked oil companys hire lots of employees and spend lots of money buying things from other industries.they also pay lots of taxes on profits to keep crooked politicians rolling in dough to spend on their pet projects while complaining about big companys being corrupt,oh yeah then theres all that election campaign money the politicians keep forgetting about! :laugh:

+1

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• DoubleDub
  • Visitor
19 Jul 2010 03:47 #383787 by DoubleDub
Replied by DoubleDub on topic Premium Fuel?
otakar wrote:

I am a bit dubious of the claimed octane ratings of certain premium fuels. If you want o run MB in a carbureted engine you will have to jet for them and than keep on running them. If you stop running them or forget to put them in the fuel the engine will run lean. The fuel injected engines automatically adjust the mixture themselves. I first dissolve the MBs in a mixture of Xylene and Lucas Fuel treatment. I use one oz of each per two MBs used, and dissolve them in a Polly Ethylene (PETE) plastic bottle. You can also use HDPE or metal cans.

How much does this end up costing you extra for a tank of fuel? Do you do this because you find your vehicles run better on this formula or because it saves you money?